Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Partnership with STARLUX Airlines (JX) [Launched 4/26/2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
STARLUX Seat Assignments for AS-issued tickets

Currently, the STARLUX website does not recognize AS-issued bookings for seat assignments. To get a seat assignments, use chat or call STARLUX.

Moderator Note

Because AS is JX’s only US partner, there is lot of interest here in its service, inflight product and FTers' general experiences. For the time being, STARLUX comments and reviews (especially J and PE) will be welcome in this thread.

There is not a dedicated JX forum on FT (discussion is the “Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines” forum). Please try to keep posts at least a bit related to AS, if possible. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator

Print Wikipost

AS Partnership with STARLUX Airlines (JX) [Launched 4/26/2023]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Regardless, it seemed like an unnecessary dig, when in the very post I attributed the source of the information.
As someone who occasionally “digs” let me welcome you back to Flyertalk. Five years - it’s been a long time

I think there would be fewer digs if more bloggers would still participate in and contribute to this community instead of just harvesting content for commercial purposes.

Getting back on topic, what are the chances of adding positioning segments on AS to an LAX-TPE award without causing the cost to double, assuming of course there is saver inventory?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
As someone who occasionally “digs” let me welcome you back to Flyertalk. Five years - it’s been a long time

I think there would be fewer digs if more bloggers would still participate in and contribute to this community instead of just harvesting content for commercial purposes.

Getting back on topic, what are the chances of adding positioning segments on AS to an LAX-TPE award without causing the cost to double, assuming of course there is saver inventory?
In 2024 I’ve added some with a cost of 20-25k but funky routes like Sfo-sea (overnight) - lax-Tpe. Probably will just keep my lax departures and buy cash ticket for $125 or change to Sfo when they open that up.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:54 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by olouie
Probably will just keep my lax departures and buy cash ticket for $125 or change to Sfo when they open that up.
We can hope/pray for another introductory sale when JX launches SFO-TPE.
aquanine and himang like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:28 am

AS must've re-adjusted all the award seat after mid august, cuz there is still plenty of availability for 60K redemption prior to mid august lax-tpe..... there is no way all 60K redemption availability from mid-august to may 2024 all being booked overnight, cuz everything after mid august is now 165K. I think this is Alaska playing games cuz they dont want you to book 60K award after 8/31. starlux still makes award available, AS just prices it 165K after mid august.

This seems like a good indication that after 8/31, starlux long haul will be priced at 165K.... which is among the worst award redemption among US carriers (second worse after Delta).

Last edited by uclacolumbiaunc; Jul 27, 2023 at 11:39 am
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
...165K.... which is among the worst award redemption among US carriers (second worse after Delta).
It's ofc terrible but not sure about 2nd worst. I'm seeing most J awards from other major programs (UA / Aeroplan / AA / etc) price at 200k+ one-way.
dc333 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:51 pm

I also highly doubt availability dried up this quickly over the span of 3-5 hours after it being made publicly available for about 8 hours. It is either some brokers bought off a vast majority of the seats (which should definitely trigger AS to investigate), or AS realized releasing 7 seats per day per direction is just not profitable, and reduced seats by ~4-5 each day at the saver level to make sure they do not let us gain too much leverage. I am highly inclined towards the second.
Also a fun thing to note is that yesterday is exactly 3 months after partnership is announced, so next time if any new partner is announced we can use this as a potential timeline to anticipate and preemptively strike before the bloggers catch these deals.
aquanine likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Shame on Alaska.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:14 pm

Missed out too after figuring out travel dates yesterday. Thought I would have more time given so much availability earlier yesterday.

I will probably book economy since it is still a decent deal. If business becomes available again, can I change for free and just pay the difference in miles?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
AS must've re-adjusted all the award seat after mid august, cuz there is still plenty of availability for 60K redemption prior to mid august lax-tpe..... there is no way all 60K redemption availability from mid-august to may 2024 all being booked overnight, cuz everything after mid august is now 165K. I think this is Alaska playing games cuz they dont want you to book 60K award after 8/31. starlux still makes award available, AS just prices it 165K after mid august.

This seems like a good indication that after 8/31, starlux long haul will be priced at 165K.... which is among the worst award redemption among US carriers (second worse after Delta).
165K is likely a dynamically priced award just like EI at 280K (4.67 × Saver) & QR 170K+ (2.0 × Saver)

James
Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by stvr
Shame on Alaska.
Why? They got award bookings up and running much sooner than expected.
notquiteaff and dc333 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:08 pm

Any guesses on whether TPE-CTS is pricing at Southeast Asia prices intentionally?
​​​​​​
​​​​​From what I've seen every other Japanese city prices at the North Asia rates, so wonder if it's more distance vs region based
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
And in a generous fashion (for those who managed to book right away).
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:36 pm

Why? They put out some somewhat bogus promotion by only having 60K redemption for one day, but their promotion specifically says promotion will be on until 8/31... and they pull the award availability after mid august, so it means after mid-august, this promo becomes completely utterly useless.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And in a generous fashion (for those who managed to book right away).
Then don't mislead its loyalty program members by saying the promo fare will be available until 8/31, and the pull it out only after one day. I see more of misleading than generosity.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then don't mislead its loyalty program members by saying the promo fare will be available until 8/31, and the pull it out only after one day. I see more of misleading than generosity.
Did they promise unlimited quantities of seats?

I suspect there were more available yesterday than they (JX/AS) intended. I can fully understand your frustration if you missed out - I have been in those shoes many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.