Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Missing 75K

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Just looking at it all, I was at 63K+ before this last AS calculation, and I was waiting for the last posting on the return trip thinking I only need less than 12K so it shouldn't be a problem. And they only credited me with less than 10K EQM miles for the return trip. It's got to be wrong.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by 57skibird
Just looking at it all, I was at 63K+ before this last AS calculation, and I was waiting for the last posting on the return trip thinking I only need less than 12K so it shouldn't be a problem. And they only credited me with less than 10K EQM miles for the return trip. It's got to be wrong.
some of the bonus miles do not count. Bonus has two buckets..

1. part for class of service bonus
2 part tied to your status bonus
3. round up to 500 miles if flight less

it looks like on return flight the first leg was 3.75 And 2nd was a 2.75 multiplier

thst 3.75 and 2.75 is equal to class and airline status. Only class of service counts for EQM.

like in that bonus last year where status bonus counted as EQM ( I think it’s a promo on California flights now) you book as an MVP (2.5 multiplier) a lo class first tick earning 50% class bonus a flight booked would earn you 1.5 *1.5 = 2.25:multiplier for status miles.

Last edited by djp98374; Nov 10, 2022 at 11:28 am
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Flight Nos. AA2904, AA240, BA551, BA287.
Miles Bonus Total
1465 2564 4029 AA2904
5613 15436 21049 AA240
898 3368 4266 BA551
5368 14762 20130 BA287

Thank you so much.

those miles are close to webflyer. 896 and 5350 is what they have for your return. 1460 and 5600 for outbound

Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority

I use this to estimate mileage if I need to check for making status with flight plans on flight routes I have not done before so I have prior mileage. I’ve seen what AS has on booking web site different than what’s posted to account.
pcoll and 57skibird like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
And they only credited me with less than 10K EQM miles for the return trip. It's got to be wrong.
At 150% EQM traveling BA with business class ticket in R or I, it would be less than 10k. 9399 to be exact.
57skibird likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 10, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some time ago I estimated my yearend balance at appr 2400 mi short of threshold but now i just checked and it seems to be off by 3500 ish.. either I miscalculated or some sort of partner earning sweep reduced previous numbers (I did have ba, ay flts in business earlier this year and they had rebooting irrops etc so fare buckets were hard to sort out).. Basically need a different run to close the gap now..
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Yep, sorry. SFO-DFW, not DAL.
So I have my boarding passes. SFO-DFW, I fare on AA. DFW-FCO, I fare on AA. FCO-LHR, I don't know fare. It was Club Europe w/BA. And LHR-SFO, J fare w/BA, Club World.
Also, BA boarding passes don’t always show the actual booking class, they often just show the class of service. In your case, Club Europe and Club World or often merely showing J even though you might actually be booked in one of the other booking classes for business. You need to look at your actual booking receipt or ticket to be sure of your fare class.
Kacee and 57skibird like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Flight Nos. AA2904, AA240, BA551, BA287.
Miles Bonus Total
1465 2564 4029 AA2904
5613 15436 21049 AA240
898 3368 4266 BA551
5368 14762 20130 BA287

Thank you so much.
Sorry for the delay. I am in Europe on a quick trip as an experiment on benefits. I purchased a cheap J ticket ex-EU and was able to apply an AA SWU into First(A) on AA LHR-LAX segment.

Reconciling your figures, I arrived at what was posted to your account.

There does appear to be an anomoly. If anything, you were either given an additional 5,613 RDM miles on the DFW-FCO segment or you were shorted 1465 RDM miles on the SFO-DFW segment. I will explain further later.

Neither would affect the EQM earned on the entire itinerary. The total EQM you would have earned is 20,915; Outbound, 10,618, Inbound 10,297.

AS Mileage activity only shows how many RDM were earned on the flight. It doesn't "account" for EQM. Base Miles are derived from the flight distance flown × the percentage of miles earned for the fare class flown. For higher Main fare classes, Business fare classes and First Class fare classes that is always 100%. It is important to make the distinction since fares that earn less than 100% will show the Base Miles less than distance flown. Any bonuses are a multiple of the "base miles" not the miles flown.

If we look at you first segment, SFO-DFW, the miles flown was 1465 which is also your base since the fare class earns 100%. The bonus is a lump sum of the 50% COS, 733 & 125% 75K Elite Bonus, 1831 = 2564. The base & bonus = 4029 RDM.

Wait a minute! Why is the 50% COS bonus included in the bonus? That is because COS is both EQM & RDM. AS accounts for the RDM from the COS bonus but nowhere does it account for and say that you earned 1465 Base + 733 50% COS for a total of 2,198 EQM on the segment. That total is just added to your status progress as a lump sum. Unless you record your EQM progress after every segment posts, you can’t immediately tell where the EQM is coming from. Any errors or omissions aren't easily determined and you need someone to do a deconstruction analysis.

Getting back to the anomoly. I think you should have earned an additional 100% RDM bonus on the SFO-DFW segment. This is where the flight number comes into play You said you purchased the itinerary from BA. From my experience, BA would have sold you their BA marketed codeshare flights, BA××××, operated by AA. Your second segment, which I highlighted in blue in the chart, was actually posted according to the BA charts since J fares earn an additional 100% RDM bonus and that reconciles with the earnings posted to Mileage Plan.

Although you flew on AA metal and AA's prime flight number was AA204, I suspect that if you go back and look at your BA confirmation letter, you would see that your flight was actually BA1627. BA is the marketing carrier and earnings will be based on the BA charts; who operated the flight is irrelevant when the carriers are all oneworld.

I would akso check to see what flight number you were booked on for the SFO-DFW segment. If that is also a BA flight number, I would contact AS to make the adjustment as you were shorted 1465 RDM.

James
anteater and 57skibird like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Wow. Thank you so much for this explanation and the chart. That really helps.

So I then called AS and they had credited me 250% for the FCO-LHR leg but not 250% for the LHR-SFO leg. I called British Airways and two hours later they confirmed I was C class on FCO-LHR and J class on LHR-SFO, but they wouldn't send me any confirmation! What?! After all that. Being transferred around and put on hold and finally getting the info I wanted, the agent said to email [email protected]. I have the BA boarding passes, but they don't show any fare class that I can see. Unlike the AA boarding passes that show it clearly.

So now I'm going to send a copy of the BA boarding passes to AS as is with an explanation and see if they'll credit me the 250% for the LHR-SFO leg. I will also email BA, but I've never had good luck with them. Still trying to get credit from them for a BA flight in 2021 they switched on me from Biz to PE.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:08 pm

You can kind of tell if it’s J/C/D or I/R class booking by cost, if you paid less than $4-5k RT it’s likely I/R class for Sfo to lhr then J lhr to fco. Kind of rough but that’s been approximately the prices lately.

Last edited by olouie; Nov 11, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Thank you so much for this explanation and the chart. That really helps.

So I then called AS and they had credited me 250% for the FCO-LHR leg but not 250% for the LHR-SFO leg. I called British Airways and two hours later they confirmed I was C class on FCO-LHR and J class on LHR-SFO, but they wouldn't send me any confirmation! What?! After all that. Being transferred around and put on hold and finally getting the info I wanted, the agent said to email [email protected]. I have the BA boarding passes, but they don't show any fare class that I can see. Unlike the AA boarding passes that show it clearly.

So now I'm going to send a copy of the BA boarding passes to AS as is with an explanation and see if they'll credit me the 250% for the LHR-SFO leg. I will also email BA, but I've never had good luck with them. Still trying to get credit from them for a BA flight in 2021 they switched on me from Biz to PE.
If you bought the ticket from BA have your searched your emails for the booking receipt email?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If you bought the ticket from BA have your searched your emails for the booking receipt email?
IIRC Ba doesn’t include booking class on emails. It’s really only at the booking flight details screen. Annoying.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
IIRC Ba doesn’t include booking class on emails. It’s really only at the booking flight details screen. Annoying.
Yeah, looking at some booking receipts you are right. I guess that's why I have a folder of screenshots of BA bookings and fare rules I make when purchasing.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do you have the credit card statements? Depending on the carrier and credit card issuer, it may show right there. (Most of my American Express ticket purchases show this in the detail.)
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

So I then called AS and they had credited me 250% for the FCO-LHR leg but not 250% for the LHR-SFO leg. I called British Airways and two hours later they confirmed I was C class on FCO-LHR and J class on LHR-SFO, but they wouldn't send me any confirmation! What?!
With BA, generally, the intra-Europe flight will book into J fare class in conjunction with the long-haul flight to/from North America that books into any J fare class. In North America, we tend to refer to business class as J. J isn't necessarily the actual booking class. Outside of North America, C is used to refer to business class. C isn't necessarily the actual booking class. I believe the BA agent was just confirming that the FCO-LHR segment & the LHR-SFO segment were booked into business and not what the actual booking class was.

I don't think you were actually booked into C on FCO-LHR. We have confirmed that it was either D, C, or J with J being the most likely from my experience.

I would say that it is highly unlikely you were booked into J class on LHR-SFO.

Looking at a return fare FCO-SFO at the end of November in J class.

Firstly, do you see One-Way & Round-Trip - C? C is referring to business class as that is the filter I set on the route. The fare basis all start with J and J is the booking class. These are the base fares (before carrier imposed charges, fees & taxes) for FCO-SFO.

How much was your fare? The cheapest return booked into J class is $7,307. The higher the fare, the lesser the restrictions.

ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM ROUND TRIPS
-TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS
A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER BA/AA/AY/IB BETWEEN AREA 1 AND AREA 2 IN ANY RULE AND TARIFF.

This fare will combine on a HALF ROUND trip basis meaning you would pay ½ the fare in combination with ½ the fare of the SFO-DFW-FCO component. So, your fare, in this instance, would be $3,653.50 plus ½ the outbound fare plus carrier imposed charges plus fee plus taxes.

If this was a return itinerary booked SFO-FCO in the $2,488 range that was available earlier, the long-haul flights booked into I. R fare class was a little over $3K. Neither of those earn 250% EQM in Mileage Plan.

Other than the anomoly I pointed out, I think you are looking for something that isn't there.

Again, what does your BA confirmation letter show for flight numbers? Did you actually book it with BA? How much was your fare? What are all the screenshots indicating? BA clearly shows the booking class during the booking process. I am trying to assist you but I feel you are being vauge.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 12, 2022 at 12:20 am
Old Nov 12, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
BA clearly shows the booking class during the booking process.

James
It’s well hidden unless you click on flight details for each portion of the flight. If you book like most non frequent fliers and even some frequent fliers, it’s very likely you will never see the booking class from BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.