Just Missing 75K

Old Nov 9, 22, 11:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Posts: 18
Just Missing 75K

Before a recent Europe trip, I called AS to make sure my miles would make it to 75K since I knew I'd be close. I was planning on taking a couple connections during the journey and would have used OneWorld if needed. But AS agent told me I'm fine with current flight plan and will be over by a couple thousand. So I took cheaper flights for the connections. Miles just posted and I'm short 1,890. Not happy!
57skibird is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 11:31 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SoCal,
Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold
Posts: 618
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
Before a recent Europe trip, I called AS to make sure my miles would make it to 75K since I knew I'd be close. I was planning on taking a couple connections during the journey and would have used OneWorld if needed. But AS agent told me I'm fine with current flight plan and will be over by a couple thousand. So I took cheaper flights for the connections. Miles just posted and I'm short 1,890. Not happy!
Wait, the agent calculated what you required to get to 75K and also calculated the EQMs for your trip? While thats amazing that theyd do that, not sure Id relay on anyone but myself to tally my elite numbers. Is there more to this story to share?
Tack is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 11:51 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Posts: 18
I calculated them myself first. Then I called AS to verify and she did. I've usually gotten great customer service w/AS and they've been very helpful. So I wasn't surprised that she took the time to do the calculation, but I guess she flunked math, because it didn't work out for whatever reason. I'll probably look for a quick weekend trip before the end of the year to meet 75K.
57skibird is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 12:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SAN
Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
I calculated them myself first. Then I called AS to verify and she did. I've usually gotten great customer service w/AS and they've been very helpful. So I wasn't surprised that she took the time to do the calculation, but I guess she flunked math, because it didn't work out for whatever reason. I'll probably look for a quick weekend trip before the end of the year to meet 75K.
So that means you flunked math too, right?

I think its far more likely that she pretended to calculate and just agreed with you, considering thats not really her job.
wolfpacktrojan is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 12:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SNA
Posts: 843
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
I calculated them myself first. Then I called AS to verify and she did. I've usually gotten great customer service w/AS and they've been very helpful. So I wasn't surprised that she took the time to do the calculation, but I guess she flunked math, because it didn't work out for whatever reason. I'll probably look for a quick weekend trip before the end of the year to meet 75K.
Do you know now where your calculation was off? There's always an outside chance AS didn't credit you correctly.

There are people on this forum who can do EQM math in their sleep (and probably do). I'd trust them 1,000x over a phone rep every time.
pmblinn is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 1:00 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: On a plane or a beach
Programs: Yes
Posts: 2,537
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
Before a recent Europe trip, I called AS to make sure my miles would make it to 75K since I knew I'd be close. I was planning on taking a couple connections during the journey and would have used OneWorld if needed. But AS agent told me I'm fine with current flight plan and will be over by a couple thousand. So I took cheaper flights for the connections. Miles just posted and I'm short 1,890. Not happy!
Were these cheaper flights in a different fare class? If so, you may have earned EQM at a different, lower rate.
anteater is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 1:54 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Posts: 18
I'm AS 75K and the whole trip was biz class paid thru BA. On AA, SFO-DAL-FCO. On BA, FCO-LHR-SFO.

I'm going to try to calculate again and call AS back just in case. Figuring out how AS calculates isn't easy to me. They show Miles, Bonus, and Total. I got 25,078 in Bonus column going there and 24,396 coming back. Is that all EQM? I'm not sure.

Yep, I flunked math on this assignment for sure. Can't tell you how many times I've searched for "how to calculate AS miles."

Last edited by dayone; Nov 9, 22 at 2:39 pm Reason: Consecutive posts.
57skibird is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 3:44 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 19,890
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
I'm AS 75K and the whole trip was biz class paid thru BA. On AA, SFO-DAL-FCO. On BA, FCO-LHR-SFO.

I'm going to try to calculate again and call AS back just in case. Figuring out how AS calculates isn't easy to me. They show Miles, Bonus, and Total. I got 25,078 in Bonus column going there and 24,396 coming back. Is that all EQM? I'm not sure.

Yep, I flunked math on this assignment for sure. :) Can't tell you how many times I've searched for "how to calculate AS miles."
Bonus is not EQM. EQM is not shown.

Fare class is super important here. If you dropped out of J/C/D to R/I on some segments when you repriced you lost some EQM. PS: unless AA has started flying to DAL again you flew to DFW.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/british-airways?lid=airline-partners:partners-british
57skibird and jerry a. laska like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 9, 22 at 3:53 pm
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 3:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Seattle
Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Fare class is super important here. If you dropped out of J/C/D to R/I on some segments you lost some EQM. PS: unless AA has started flying to DAL again you flew to DFW.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/british-airways?lid=airline-partnersartners-british
This is most likely it. Check your fare classes and recalc, Guessing your LHR - FCO dropped out of J into I.
57skibird likes this.
HangryDad is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 4:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,616
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
I'm AS 75K and the whole trip was biz class paid thru BA. On AA, SFO-DAL-FCO. On BA, FCO-LHR-SFO.

I'm going to try to calculate again and call AS back just in case. Figuring out how AS calculates isn't easy to me. They show Miles, Bonus, and Total. I got 25,078 in Bonus column going there and 24,396 coming back. Is that all EQM? I'm not sure.

Yep, I flunked math on this assignment for sure. Can't tell you how many times I've searched for "how to calculate AS miles."
Since BA & AA are both oneworld carries. What you earn in Mileage Plan is determined by the two character carrier code preceeding the flight number.

It doesn't matter who you bought the ticket from or who operated the flights, it is the marketing carrier and booking class that matters.

If they are BA flight numbers, use the BA charts. If they are AA flight numbers, use the AA charts.

BA flight numbers are favourable, even if AA operated, since business class fare buckets earn an additional 100% RDM bonus and higher fare buckets earn more EQM.

BA, R & I fares earn a 50% COS bonus while C, D & J fares earn a 150% EQM bonus. The only EQM boost on AA is in full J class with a 100% COS.

When I have a few minutes, I will look at your numbers and will work them back. It is confusing that AS only shows RDM total, base & bonus which is compounded since the figure also includes COS as COS is both EQM & RDM.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 4:39 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SEA, NW/DL 1.6Million Miler
Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-23, AS 75K 15-21
Posts: 4,038
Improved status and 50K

I do concur, your improved status to 75K, with instant credit of 50K miles after attaining 75K is definitely worth your efforts. Best of luck.

Jiburi
jiburi is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 4:43 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SNA
Posts: 843
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Since BA & AA are both oneworld carries. What you earn in Mileage Plan is determined by the two character carrier code preceeding the flight number.

It doesn't matter who you bought the ticket from or who operated the flights, it is the marketing carrier and booking class that matters.

If they are BA flight numbers, use the BA charts. If they are AA flight numbers, use the AA charts.

BA flight numbers are favourable, even if AA operated, since business class fare buckets earn an additional 100% RDM bonus and higher fare buckets earn more EQM.

BA, R & I fares earn a 50% COS bonus while C, D & J fares earn a 150% EQM bonus. The only EQM boost on AA is in full J class with a 100% COS.

When I have a few minutes, I will look at your numbers and will work them back. It is confusing that AS only shows RDM total, base & bonus which is compounded since the figure also includes COS as COS is both EQM & RDM.

James
Originally Posted by pmblinn View Post
There are people on this forum who can do EQM math in their sleep (and probably do). I'd trust them 1,000x over a phone rep every time.
See?
pmblinn is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 6:06 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Posts: 18
Yep, sorry. SFO-DFW, not DAL.
So I have my boarding passes. SFO-DFW, I fare on AA. DFW-FCO, I fare on AA. FCO-LHR, I don't know fare. It was Club Europe w/BA. And LHR-SFO, J fare w/BA, Club World.
57skibird is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 7:50 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,616
Originally Posted by 57skibird View Post
Yep, sorry. SFO-DFW, not DAL.
So I have my boarding passes. SFO-DFW, I fare on AA. DFW-FCO, I fare on AA. FCO-LHR, I don't know fare. It was Club Europe w/BA. And LHR-SFO, J fare w/BA, Club World.
What were your flight numbers? I suspect, AA, BA, BA, BA. Your figures are said to be in the bonus column. Can you provide the base & bonus for each segment? I can arrive at your figures as total RDM but you are indicating those figures are bonus only.

For EQM, I am calculating 7078 1.50 = 10,617 on SFO-DFW-FCO and 10,298 on FCO-LHR-SFO assuming FCO-LHR was in the J bucket and LHR-SFO was in bucket I or R. Total 20,915.

James
anteater and eponymous_coward like this.
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Nov 10, 22, 9:00 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Posts: 18
Flight Nos. AA2904, AA240, BA551, BA287.
Miles Bonus Total
1465 2564 4029 AA2904
5613 15436 21049 AA240
898 3368 4266 BA551
5368 14762 20130 BA287

Thank you so much.

Last edited by 57skibird; Nov 10, 22 at 10:30 am
57skibird is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread