Wiki Posts
Search

Just Missing 75K

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
Just Missing 75K

Before a recent Europe trip, I called AS to make sure my miles would make it to 75K since I knew I'd be close. I was planning on taking a couple connections during the journey and would have used OneWorld if needed. But AS agent told me I'm fine with current flight plan and will be over by a couple thousand. So I took cheaper flights for the connections. Miles just posted and I'm short 1,890. Not happy!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by 57skibird
Before a recent Europe trip, I called AS to make sure my miles would make it to 75K since I knew I'd be close. I was planning on taking a couple connections during the journey and would have used OneWorld if needed. But AS agent told me I'm fine with current flight plan and will be over by a couple thousand. So I took cheaper flights for the connections. Miles just posted and I'm short 1,890. Not happy!
Wait, the agent calculated what you required to get to 75K and also calculated the EQM’s for your trip? While that’s amazing that they’d do that, not sure I’d relay on anyone but myself to tally my elite numbers. Is there more to this story to share?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

I calculated them myself first. Then I called AS to verify and she did. I've usually gotten great customer service w/AS and they've been very helpful. So I wasn't surprised that she took the time to do the calculation, but I guess she flunked math, because it didn't work out for whatever reason. I'll probably look for a quick weekend trip before the end of the year to meet 75K.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I calculated them myself first. Then I called AS to verify and she did. I've usually gotten great customer service w/AS and they've been very helpful. So I wasn't surprised that she took the time to do the calculation, but I guess she flunked math, because it didn't work out for whatever reason. I'll probably look for a quick weekend trip before the end of the year to meet 75K.
So that means you flunked math too, right…?

I think it’s far more likely that she pretended to calculate and just agreed with you, considering that’s not really her job.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:29 pm

Do you know now where your calculation was off? There's always an outside chance AS didn't credit you correctly.

There are people on this forum who can do EQM math in their sleep (and probably do). I'd trust them 1,000x over a phone rep every time.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Yes
Were these cheaper flights in a different fare class? If so, you may have earned EQM at a different, lower rate.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm AS 75K and the whole trip was biz class paid thru BA. On AA, SFO-DAL-FCO. On BA, FCO-LHR-SFO.

I'm going to try to calculate again and call AS back just in case. Figuring out how AS calculates isn't easy to me. They show Miles, Bonus, and Total. I got 25,078 in Bonus column going there and 24,396 coming back. Is that all EQM? I'm not sure.

Yep, I flunked math on this assignment for sure. Can't tell you how many times I've searched for "how to calculate AS miles."

Last edited by dayone; Nov 9, 2022 at 2:39 pm Reason: Consecutive posts.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm AS 75K and the whole trip was biz class paid thru BA. On AA, SFO-DAL-FCO. On BA, FCO-LHR-SFO.

I'm going to try to calculate again and call AS back just in case. Figuring out how AS calculates isn't easy to me. They show Miles, Bonus, and Total. I got 25,078 in Bonus column going there and 24,396 coming back. Is that all EQM? I'm not sure.

Yep, I flunked math on this assignment for sure. :) Can't tell you how many times I've searched for "how to calculate AS miles."
Bonus is not EQM. EQM is not shown.

Fare class is super important here. If you dropped out of J/C/D to R/I on some segments when you repriced you lost some EQM. PS: unless AA has started flying to DAL again you flew to DFW.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/british-airways?lid=airline-partners:partners-british
57skibird and jerry a. laska like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 9, 2022 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Fare class is super important here. If you dropped out of J/C/D to R/I on some segments you lost some EQM. PS: unless AA has started flying to DAL again you flew to DFW.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/british-airways?lid=airline-partnersartners-british
This is most likely it. Check your fare classes and recalc, Guessing your LHR - FCO dropped out of J into I.
57skibird likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

Yep, I flunked math on this assignment for sure. Can't tell you how many times I've searched for "how to calculate AS miles."
Since BA & AA are both oneworld carries. What you earn in Mileage Plan is determined by the two character carrier code preceeding the flight number.

It doesn't matter who you bought the ticket from or who operated the flights, it is the marketing carrier and booking class that matters.

If they are BA flight numbers, use the BA charts. If they are AA flight numbers, use the AA charts.

BA flight numbers are favourable, even if AA operated, since business class fare buckets earn an additional 100% RDM bonus and higher fare buckets earn more EQM.

BA, R & I fares earn a 50% COS bonus while C, D & J fares earn a 150% EQM bonus. The only EQM boost on AA is in full J class with a 100% COS.

When I have a few minutes, I will look at your numbers and will work them back. It is confusing that AS only shows RDM total, base & bonus which is compounded since the figure also includes COS as COS is both EQM & RDM.

James
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Improved status and 50K

I do concur, your improved status to 75K, with instant credit of 50K miles after attaining 75K is definitely worth your efforts. Best of luck.

Jiburi
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Since BA & AA are both oneworld carries. What you earn in Mileage Plan is determined by the two character carrier code preceeding the flight number.

It doesn't matter who you bought the ticket from or who operated the flights, it is the marketing carrier and booking class that matters.

If they are BA flight numbers, use the BA charts. If they are AA flight numbers, use the AA charts.

BA flight numbers are favourable, even if AA operated, since business class fare buckets earn an additional 100% RDM bonus and higher fare buckets earn more EQM.

BA, R & I fares earn a 50% COS bonus while C, D & J fares earn a 150% EQM bonus. The only EQM boost on AA is in full J class with a 100% COS.

When I have a few minutes, I will look at your numbers and will work them back. It is confusing that AS only shows RDM total, base & bonus which is compounded since the figure also includes COS as COS is both EQM & RDM.

James
Originally Posted by pmblinn
There are people on this forum who can do EQM math in their sleep (and probably do). I'd trust them 1,000x over a phone rep every time.
See?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Yep, sorry. SFO-DFW, not DAL.
So I have my boarding passes. SFO-DFW, I fare on AA. DFW-FCO, I fare on AA. FCO-LHR, I don't know fare. It was Club Europe w/BA. And LHR-SFO, J fare w/BA, Club World.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Yep, sorry. SFO-DFW, not DAL.
So I have my boarding passes. SFO-DFW, I fare on AA. DFW-FCO, I fare on AA. FCO-LHR, I don't know fare. It was Club Europe w/BA. And LHR-SFO, J fare w/BA, Club World.
What were your flight numbers? I suspect, AA×××, BA×××, BA×××, BA×××. Your figures are said to be in the bonus column. Can you provide the base & bonus for each segment? I can arrive at your figures as total RDM but you are indicating those figures are bonus only.

For EQM, I am calculating 7078 × 1.50 = 10,617 on SFO-DFW-FCO and 10,298 on FCO-LHR-SFO assuming FCO-LHR was in the J bucket and LHR-SFO was in bucket I or R. Total 20,915.

James
anteater and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Flight Nos. AA2904, AA240, BA551, BA287.
Miles Bonus Total
1465 2564 4029 AA2904
5613 15436 21049 AA240
898 3368 4266 BA551
5368 14762 20130 BA287

Thank you so much.

Last edited by 57skibird; Nov 10, 2022 at 10:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.