Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Rant] No, I don't want to move to the bulkhead. Next time don't ask.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] No, I don't want to move to the bulkhead. Next time don't ask.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Finkface, what you should have told the usurper was that, had she not just commandeered your seat and your blanket, that you might have switched. That is was her rudeness that caused you to stand firm.
exACTly!

Originally Posted by dayone
The best strategy for a situation like this is to be nice and have reasonable expectations.
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Are you referring to the requestor or requestee?
BOTH !

imo these (being nice and having reasonable expectations) are entirely self-evident if you're the one asking someone else if they're willing to switch; when someone asks you if you're willing to switch, just take a few seconds to compose yourself, and very calmly say something like "I'm sorry, I chose this seat when I booked this flight because I wanted to sit here < easy to replace "here" with location/reason -- aisle, window, bulkhead, non-bulkhead, this particular row, whatever -- if you feel like it: >

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 16, 2022 at 7:47 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
exACTly!BOTH !

imo these (being nice and having reasonable expectations) are entirely self-evident if you're the one asking someone else if they're willing to switch; when someone asks you if you're willing to switch, just take a few seconds to compose yourself, and very calmly say something like "I'm sorry, I chose this seat when I booked this flight because I wanted to sit here < easy to replace "here" with location/reason -- aisle, window, bulkhead, non-bulkhead, this particular row, whatever -- if you feel like it: >

I was curious about the expectations of the flier being imposed upon.

My expectation is they accept my "No." departing with silent gratitude it wasn't more than that.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as has been cussed and discussed in countless other threads, things like civility and silent gratitude are attributes of common courtesy, which has sadly become (and continues to become) far less common

ideally, you're absolutely right ... the title of a 1994 movie sums it up well: Reality Bites
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Finkface, what you should have told the usurper was that, had she not just commandeered your seat and your blanket, that you might have switched. That is was her rudeness that caused you to stand firm.
I think it best not to engage any further and that telling the usurper anything more than necessary is likely to result in more unpleasantries. You just never know who is going to snap these days.
Boraxo and Ghoulish like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
You're right, best to keep those thoughts unsaid. Lots of crazies out there.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
... when she was sleeping... though I imagine take off would be waking her soon shortly anyway...
Even before that: don't you have to be awake for the safety briefing?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by henry999
Even before that: don't you have to be awake for the safety briefing?
Nope, not at all. I’ve had plenty of flights where I’m dozing off even during boarding and slept thru the safety briefing

All the flight attendants really seem to care about is if your seat belt is buckled, seat upright, table and footrest stowed, and bags under the seat in front
ACBLtd and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I had someone ask me to give up my seat in premium for a seat in the standard main cabin once. I said no. It's an option! That being said, I'm always happy to move to help families with small children sit together.
Carfield and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I had someone ask me to give up my seat in premium for a seat in the standard main cabin once. I said no. It's an option! That being said, I'm always happy to move to help families with small children sit together.
Happy enough to move from a premium seat to the center seat in the middle on say, a 6 hour flight?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Happy enough to move from a premium seat to the center seat in the middle on say, a 6 hour flight?
It would depend on the situation. If the children were young and it appeared the family was going to struggle, then yes.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I did it once. It was a tiny waif of a girl, with her boyfriend/husband whatever, as I approached my (taken by her) aisle seat he got up and said please, she doesn't speak English, is afraid to sit alone. I said "where's her seat" - of course it was a middle. I said whiningly, "a MIDDLE??", then stood there for a second, put myself in her shoes. When I travel with my husband (99% of the time) I'm also in the middle, so I figured why not do something nice. Everyone in earshot said it was the nicest thing anyone has done. Well, that day at least

But no good deed goes unpunished. I'm older and need to get up to use the washroom, but the guy in the aisle was a sleeping behemoth. So I waited for the girl in the window to have to get up. She never did. Eventually I had to wake up sleeping giant and he was actually very nice about it.

It was EWR/SEA, so a very long flight.

Like I said before, sometimes you're the asker, and sometimes you're the askee. It didn't work out for me that time, but I didn't stew about it for days.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Are we still talking about this? I chuckle every time I go on to FT and see this is STILL the first thread on the AS forum.......
be_rettSEA and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by david55
Are we still talking about this? I chuckle every time I go on to FT and see this is STILL the first thread on the AS forum.......
And then you enter, and post, bumping it to the top of the list again
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

And then you enter, and post, bumping it to the top of the list again
Every time I log on to FT it already IS the top of the list. I take no responsibility. But you're right..... I probably didn't help the situation.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think it best not to engage any further and that telling the usurper anything more than necessary is likely to result in more unpleasantries. You just never know who is going to snap these days.
Correct. If you don’t want to switch, you don’t owe anyone an explanation (that just leads to further discussion). “No, thanks” is enough. This rule applies to other situations in life as well.

Originally Posted by david55
Says more about the state of FT and the drop-off in activity than anything about this particular topic that I sums we all have come across before in this or other airline forums.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.