Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Rant] No, I don't want to move to the bulkhead. Next time don't ask.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] No, I don't want to move to the bulkhead. Next time don't ask.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm #teambulkhead but... if I'm all settled in with my bag over 3 or 4 and my other stuff I need for flight arranged, even I wouldn't consider moving especially if it requires waiting until rows 1-3 are off the plane to get my bag out of the overhead bin.

I have asked bulkhead seat holders if they are okay moving to accommodate one of us if we're split up, but only an aisle for an aisle etc. After a 1.5 million miles of flying together, we are fine sitting apart, but sometimes its nice to have the time together.

lala
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zrs70
Sorry - not sure point of this post. A guy asked you to move, and you did. What does it mean to not be mentally prepared? How does one mentally prepare for a seat change on board?

Lots of assumptions here:

1. What does being a young couple have to do with anything?
2. What does a potential free upgrade have to do with anything?
3. What does boarding at the last minute have to do with anything?

I understand that you aren’t going to move in the future unless it’s elderly/ parents with children, etc. But you should try to keep an open mind and heart. What if it’s a person with hidden special needs? What if the pair who are flying are in distress? What if it’s a couple who just WANT to be together and have asked nicely? You can still say “no.” And saying “no” does not mean that you are a jerk. It just means that you prefer the seat you chose.

But don’t say “yes” and then complain.
For that matter, what does choosing to have children have to do with anything either. For heavens sake, that's not an unexpected hardship, they can plan if they need to sit together.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by psusaver
People can be "last minute" due to airline connections also. But since you seem to be an inexperienced traveler you would not know that (see how random assumptions work?). I see that the rest of the thread got your good OP, so I will stop myself here.
Who CARES that something's last minute? What difference does it make? Complain to the airline, don't ask me to reduce my comfort for the sole purpose of increasing it for a complete stranger.
kaku_jinbutsu and FabCW like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
For that matter, what does choosing to have children have to do with anything either. For heavens sake, that's not an unexpected hardship, they can plan if they need to sit together.
True - but as a parent of toddler twins, I have experienced last minute plane swaps that put our family in all different locations.
Bellerina likes this.

Last edited by zrs70; Aug 12, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:20 pm
Suspended

True - but as a parent of twins, I have experienced last minute plane swaps that put our family in all different locations.
I understand that's a bad situation, I would be incandescent, but then it's the airline's responsibility to resolve by, if necessary, bumping a passenger up to the front, compensation etc.

They'll never learn otherwise.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by psusaver
People can be "last minute" due to airline connections also. But since you seem to be an inexperienced traveler you would not know that (see how random assumptions work?). I see that the rest of the thread got your good OP, so I will stop myself here.
More experienced then you in all probability....80+ countries..... numerous multiple times...
squiddz, FabCW and Ghoulish like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
I understand that's a bad situation, I would be incandescent, but then it's the airline's responsibility to resolve by, if necessary, bumping a passenger up to the front, compensation etc.

They'll never learn otherwise.
Gosh, I hope it's not a night flight, I wouldn't be able to sleep!
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
More experienced then you in all probability....80+ countries..... numerous multiple times...
I think you missed his point completely.
AS Flyer, ACBLtd, buschoi and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - not sure point of this post. A guy asked you to move, and you did. What does it mean to not be mentally prepared? How does one mentally prepare for a seat change on board?

Lots of assumptions here:

1. What does being a young couple have to do with anything?
2. What does a potential free upgrade have to do with anything?
3. What does boarding at the last minute have to do with anything?

I understand that you aren’t going to move in the future unless it’s elderly/ parents with children, etc. But you should try to keep an open mind and heart. What if it’s a person with hidden special needs? What if the pair who are flying are in distress? What if it’s a couple who just WANT to be together and have asked nicely? You can still say “no.” And saying “no” does not mean that you are a jerk. It just means that you prefer the seat you chose.

But don’t say “yes” and then complain.
Special needs - no? Clearly NOT. It's a short flight, they can handle it. Distress-- well they were both still wearing masks... LOL. But young folks - in theory - can handle things (discomfort) better then elderly...but in the society of America (world) today, that is often wrong.

Potential free upgrade, because they should be happy with getting something they weren't going to get otherwise. Not also inconveniencing someone else. They were literal last minute, as in the doors would have closed soon. I was firmly in my seat from the beginning of boarding.

I'm complaining now, because I wasn't prepared when it happened. You've never done something and later regretted it? Spare me.... I won't make the same mistake next time. Now if he said, family emergency, or what not...yeah, ok. Or I need to care for my ill wife, blah blah blah.

They both looked plenty healthy. Yeah, maybe she was flying to get some special treatment...no. And even so -- they could buck up and be separate for a few hours. In the whole scheme of things, this is very minor....but I feel like complaining about it.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Aug 12, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think you missed his point completely.
well I've flown without incident all over the world....only one instance where I felt I was a bit of an ....... in many hundreds of flights on different airlines in different countries in bus/coach, and that was while deplaning, and for a very brief moment - no words were spoken. Had to do with someone blatantly cutting in front of me, so to speak.

But I'm complaining on this one. So spare me....did not miss the point at all. Just calling it as I see it.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
mods — this needs to move in its entirety to “Seat Swap Request Horror Stories” (which, quite surprisingly, has been dormant since the first of the year)
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
mods — this needs to move in its entirety to “Seat Swap Request Horror Stories” (which, quite surprisingly, has been dormant since the first of the year)
I disagree. This is not a horror story.
psusaver, Calculon, PABE and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:28 pm

I usually ask, how much is it worth to you?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I disagree. This is not a horror story.
maybe not in the technical/literal sense, but the way OP described getting all riled up about the situation is certainly in keeping with the tenor of many of the stories there (with, of course, a measure of DYKWIA thrown in)
Bellerina likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ords
I usually ask, how much is it worth to you?
Please share the answers/offers you have received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.