Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I am a long-time AS Elite member (longer if you count VX as well). For all that time I was based in SFO, which was great for flying VX and also great for flying AS.

Anyway, I recently moved to the PHX area. I'm currently 75k but had 0 EQM last year. I'm also going on 3 years of EXP on AA despite almost never flying them (free status from a Hyatt promo, followed by 2 status extensions).

Anyway, my plan was to just fly AA, burn off my AS miles on international partner flights, and be done with AS. Nothing against the airline; they just don't serve PHX particularly well, and AA does.

But now with it being possible to keep AA status without actually crediting flights to AA, and this AS promo to retain my status if I fly 20k miles and 2 segments, I'm wondering if I should credit enough flights to AS to maintain status, and make up the shortfall on AA by earning enough loyalty points on credit card spend and shopping portals. Mileage Plan really is great; I've gotten great value from it in the past and would like to get more, and I love the huge number of partners.

The problem is the requirement for the 12 (or more likely 24, since I won't stop at 75k) AS segments. For the promo, the 20k base miles are no problem (I can do that in one round trip on SQ) but I'm having trouble finding 2 AS segments I actually want to fly. And if 2 are hard to find, how am I ever going to find 24 (or even 12)? Every single flight I look at (for somewhere I actually want to go) is 2x the price of AA (or occasionally UA or DL)

For example, the cheapest PHX-SFO flight on AS in the next 2 months is $69, but they have a $30 buy-up to main cabin. So the cost is $99 (I won't fly basic economy -- I at least want an economy plus seat). AA has a $40 main cabin fare. Obviously I'm not going to pay 2.5x to fly AS instead of AA. Considering that there is some real competition on that route (UA flies it too, as does Southwest) it seems like AS isn't even trying.

Do I just need to give up on AS now that I'm in PHX? Or am I missing something here?
I'm wondering the same thing after moving from LAX to LAS. As far as I can tell and lot of mileage runs to and from Anchorage
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I have a flight returning from Mexico in just over a week that does not have an option to pre-order food for First Class on. I was able to select the outbound meal as a pre-order, but not the return. It just shows "food" greyed out. The flight is 1109 miles and departs at 335pm. Is this normal?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280
I have a flight returning from Mexico in just over a week that does not have an option to pre-order food for First Class on. I was able to select the outbound meal as a pre-order, but not the return. It just shows "food" greyed out. The flight is 1109 miles and departs at 335pm. Is this normal?
No, I'll guess it's an IT issue but I really don't know. This year I've been unable to order food in the main cabin because of the reduced service but when I've been upgraded I haven't had any problems pre-ordering. Last year before the reduced service I've seen IT issues where food ordering wasn't available but then it magically appeared a few days before the flight. You can always query customer care and they can take a look.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:04 pm

Thank you for the insights about my MVP status question. (Also, I believe it would sound friendlier to call them invitations to MVP status instead of nominations.)
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
No, I'll guess it's an IT issue but I really don't know. This year I've been unable to order food in the main cabin because of the reduced service but when I've been upgraded I haven't had any problems pre-ordering. Last year before the reduced service I've seen IT issues where food ordering wasn't available but then it magically appeared a few days before the flight. You can always query customer care and they can take a look.
Thank you for the insight! I looked at this a few days in a row and it was the same issue, so I thought I would post here. Two hours after I posted this, I checked again and it was resolved. Magic! LOL
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Trying to book MR. Can someone please help with mileage calculation i.e. how many miles (elite qualification / redeemable) will I earn with this trip .

Route: JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK-HND-JFK
Class - Business (R)
All flights are booked via AA however BOS-NRT-BKK-HND-JFK segments are operated by JL (with AA numbers)

Also, I have MVPG status with Alaska.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by puding
Trying to book MR. Can someone please help with mileage calculation i.e. how many miles (elite qualification / redeemable) will I earn with this trip .

Route: JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK-HND-JFK
Class - Business (R)
All flights are booked via AA however BOS-NRT-BKK-HND-JFK segments are operated by JL (with AA numbers)

Also, I have MVPG status with Alaska.

Thanks in advance.
JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK-HND-JFK is 24301 miles according to https://www.greatcirclemap.com/?rout...ND-JFK&unit=mi

Flights marketed by AA and operated by another oneworld airline earn according to the AA chart.

In AA R class, that's 150% EQM and RDM. 24301 * 1.5 = 36451.5. So you'll get right around that in EQM.

Then as MVPG you'll get +100% RDM. 36451.5 * 2 = 72903 RDM.

Note that those aren't going to be exact, I've found that AS's distances are slightly different, but should be close to that.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k
I am a long-time AS Elite member (longer if you count VX as well). For all that time I was based in SFO, which was great for flying VX and also great for flying AS.

Anyway, I recently moved to the PHX area. I'm currently 75k but had 0 EQM last year. I'm also going on 3 years of EXP on AA despite almost never flying them (free status from a Hyatt promo, followed by 2 status extensions).

Anyway, my plan was to just fly AA, burn off my AS miles on international partner flights, and be done with AS. Nothing against the airline; they just don't serve PHX particularly well, and AA does.

But now with it being possible to keep AA status without actually crediting flights to AA, and this AS promo to retain my status if I fly 20k miles and 2 segments, I'm wondering if I should credit enough flights to AS to maintain status, and make up the shortfall on AA by earning enough loyalty points on credit card spend and shopping portals. Mileage Plan really is great; I've gotten great value from it in the past and would like to get more, and I love the huge number of partners.

The problem is the requirement for the 12 (or more likely 24, since I won't stop at 75k) AS segments. For the promo, the 20k base miles are no problem (I can do that in one round trip on SQ) but I'm having trouble finding 2 AS segments I actually want to fly. And if 2 are hard to find, how am I ever going to find 24 (or even 12)? Every single flight I look at (for somewhere I actually want to go) is 2x the price of AA (or occasionally UA or DL)

For example, the cheapest PHX-SFO flight on AS in the next 2 months is $69, but they have a $30 buy-up to main cabin. So the cost is $99 (I won't fly basic economy -- I at least want an economy plus seat). AA has a $40 main cabin fare. Obviously I'm not going to pay 2.5x to fly AS instead of AA. Considering that there is some real competition on that route (UA flies it too, as does Southwest) it seems like AS isn't even trying.

Do I just need to give up on AS now that I'm in PHX? Or am I missing something here?
The obvious answer is to, yes, abandon AS for AA and be a hub captive. It should be relatively painless since you'd be starting with EXP.

The more in depth answer is really a question: where do you fly? The price difference is an issue, but you also need to look at schedule and frequency as well. If you're doing PHX-SFO 30 times a year, sticking with AS and their 1x daily on an E175 would be vastly inferior to AA's 3x mainline dailies. If you miss a flight, what are your alternatives to getting home? Waiting a few hours for the next direct, or taking a multi stop route and losing 10 hours, or having to wait until the next day?
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I'm wondering the same thing after moving from LAX to LAS. As far as I can tell and lot of mileage runs to and from Anchorage
LAX and LAS are both weird airports without a dominant player. So, same deal - where do you fly? It might be harder to stick to one airline out of LAS.
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by remyjette
JFK-LAX-BOS-NRT-BKK-HND-JFK is 24301 miles according to https://www.greatcirclemap.com/?rout...ND-JFK&unit=mi

Flights marketed by AA and operated by another oneworld airline earn according to the AA chart.

In AA R class, that's 150% EQM and RDM. 24301 * 1.5 = 36451.5. So you'll get right around that in EQM.

Note that those aren't going to be exact, I've found that AS's distances are slightly different, but should be close to that.
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Looks like this MR will be worth the effort.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remyjette

Is this right? It's been a while since I've credited to AS (since pre-covid) but from what I remember the elite bonus is only applied to the base miles, not the cabin bonus. So RDM should only be 250% of miles flown, not 300%
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Is this right? It's been a while since I've credited to AS (since pre-covid) but from what I remember the elite bonus is only applied to the base miles, not the cabin bonus. So RDM should only be 250% of miles flown, not 300%
Class of Service Bonus is both EQM & RDM. For RDM, just add the percentages. 100% Base + 50% COS + 100% MVPG 100% Elite Bonus = 250%.

James
FlyerDigits likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Feb 3, 2022 at 5:22 pm
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Class of Service Bonus is both EQM & RDM. For RDM, just add the percentages. 100% Base + 50% COS + 100% MVPG 100% Elite Bonus = 300%.

James
100 + 50 + 100 = 300? How many of these beers have I had?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
100 + 50 + 100 = 300? How many of these beers have I had?
Let me fix that! I had 100K in mind.

James
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The obvious answer is to, yes, abandon AS for AA and be a hub captive. It should be relatively painless since you'd be starting with EXP.

The more in depth answer is really a question: where do you fly? The price difference is an issue, but you also need to look at schedule and frequency as well. If you're doing PHX-SFO 30 times a year, sticking with AS and their 1x daily on an E175 would be vastly inferior to AA's 3x mainline dailies. If you miss a flight, what are your alternatives to getting home? Waiting a few hours for the next direct, or taking a multi stop route and losing 10 hours, or having to wait until the next day?
I think AA wins both on price and network, and it's not close.

I mostly like AS as a place to credit international partner flights to. The miles are worth more than AA IMO and you generally get more of them. So I'd like to keep AS status so I can get the elite bonuses and also have OWE benefits when flying those partner flights with my AS number attached. Without the AS elite bonus I may as well just credit everything to AA and get the 120% elite bonus there.

I totally get that the segment requirements are there to prevent people from using AS as a mileage wallet. I've never done that before (when I was in SF the bulk of my domestic flying was on AS) but that's really what I want to do now. I'm trying to find a way to make it work but it's not looking good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.