Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to American Through-Check (Interline) Bags on Separate Tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to American Through-Check (Interline) Bags on Separate Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Is there any recent changes to AS' check through experience? While the policy wordings on their website seems to be the same, wonder if there is any changes after almost a year since the last post of this thread. I am planning for this check through: SFO -> LAX on AS, LAX -> HKG on CX, 2:45hr MCT
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:33 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Tried to through check bags onto a separate BA ticket today at ANC - agent was very apologetic but said the rules changed with effect from 1st March and they're no longer allowed to do this for separate tickets.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Tried to through check bags onto a separate BA ticket today at ANC - agent was very apologetic but said the rules changed with effect from 1st March and they're no longer allowed to do this for separate tickets.
Yes it was announced mid-February AS eliminates interlining on separate tickets (chip chip chip™) I don't know anyone that's happy about it.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Yup. New (sucky) policy.

AS eliminates interlining on separate tickets (chip chip chip™)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Send letters to Brett Catlin and Joe Sprague to change this policy, at least make it mirror oneworld.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Send letters to Brett Catlin and Joe Sprague to change this policy, at least make it mirror oneworld.
?
There is no Oneworld policy or benefit regarding checking through bags on separate tickets.

This was one of those things that made AS a little more customer friendly; at least friendlier than AA, BA, IB, and others.
EDIflyer and eponymous_coward like this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 26, 2024 at 10:57 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Good news, they are (maliciously) complying with your request!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34898783-post133.html

It is NOT a technical constraint preventing AA from checking bags thru; it is an AA policy to NOT check bags thru on separate PNRs. One reason is they don’t want to override receiving carrier bag allowance which the receiving carrier is entitled to enforce being a separate reservation
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34898947-post134.html

​​​​​​​And lest anyone think this is AA just being awkward BA and IB also have this policy and simply won’t interline on separate tickets - even if it’s say IB-IB.
jerry a. laska and EDIflyer like this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Damn, just booked a SFO-LAX flight on AS over AA to connect to a QF award hoping this was the case. I did put a reasonable buffer in
16.38 arrival for 21.15 QF departure AS F and QF J. Will prob need to walk landslide T6 to TBIT I guess.

Looks like the latest arrival over past 14 days has been 18.27, so I should be fine. Sucks that it is this much stress in trying to line up often expensive domestic flights to long-haul awards.

Seems QF Checkin opens 3 hours before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.