Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can BA codeshares operated by OW carriers credit to Alaska?

Can BA codeshares operated by OW carriers credit to Alaska?

Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LAX/SFO
Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Posts: 1,229
Can BA codeshares operated by OW carriers credit to Alaska?

Typically in the OW network, you'll earn based on the marketing carrier charts when the operating carrier is also OW. This seems to be the case for AS as well, except for on the BA chart, nearly every OW operated BA marketed codeshare is excluded. Do these flights really not credit to alaska?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ritish-airways
Qualify for mileage accrual
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways or British Airways codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by oneworld member airlines and affiliates. Codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by a carrier that is not a oneworld member airline are not eligible to earn miles. Award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles, elite-qualifying miles or segments.
Eligible flight numbers
0001–0531 2200–2239 8000–8020 0539–1499 2250–2289 8200–8299 2030–2045 2540–2799 8450–8497 2061–2069 2900–2999
2150–2169 6200–6449
TalkingPoint is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 621
It seems like it clearly says it only doesn't count when the operating carrier is NOT a oneworld member airline?
Eurynom0s is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:38 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
It seems like it clearly says it only doesn't count when the operating carrier is NOT a oneworld member airline?
Sadly, there is no "only". Both exclusions are true.
PlowJockey is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:46 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LAX/SFO
Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Posts: 1,229
Originally Posted by PlowJockey
Sadly, there is no "only". Both exclusions are true.
I'm very surprised if BA/IB/AY codeshares on Atlantic Joint Venture tickets really can't be credited to Alaska, although that's clearly excluded in the current rules. Exception being AA codeshares likely due to AS's closer relationship with AA. Seems like a relic of pre-OW AS days that hopefully gets fixed as AS fully integrates into OW. Looking at Wayback, AS used to exclude AA codeshares except for TATL BA operated flights until 2018.
TalkingPoint is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Seattle
Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Posts: 93
I'm on a BA codeshare next weekend coming home, I'll let you know how things go. Defintely going to be unhappy if I fly a BA ticket on AA metal and don't get to credit to AS after they are included in OW.
tobikosan likes this.
HangryDad is offline  
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Posts: 417
Flew AA codeshares on BA metal between SFO and LHR last month.
Booked in A class (discounted first) on AA ticket.
Received AS miles.
BUT...
Instead of the BA 450% RDM and 250% EQM, received the AA 150 RDM and 150% EQM.
The AA ticket was nearly the same price as the BA ticket. Although fewer penalties had I needed to make changes which is why I bought the codeshare.
dieselbear is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:46 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: LAX/SFO
Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Posts: 1,229
Originally Posted by dieselbear
Flew AA codeshares on BA metal between SFO and LHR last month.
Booked in A class (discounted first) on AA ticket.
Received AS miles.
BUT...
Instead of the BA 450% RDM and 250% EQM, received the AA 150 RDM and 150% EQM.
The AA ticket was nearly the same price as the BA ticket. Although fewer penalties had I needed to make changes which is why I bought the codeshare.
This is according to the rules. AA marketed flights on BA metal will earn according to AA chart. BA marketed flights AA metal will earn nothing.
TalkingPoint is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:41 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,784
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
This is according to the rules. AA marketed flights on BA metal will earn according to AA chart. BA marketed flights AA metal will earn nothing.
Wow, that sucks. I almost booked one of those recently (the SEA-LHR nonstop on AA, sold and marketed by BA). I really had hoped for OW membership to make earning credit straightforward.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:55 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Posts: 5,950
Reading this to me, I think it's fine, although commas or semicolons would make things a lot more clear.
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways or British Airways codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by oneworld member airlines and affiliates.
Reading that, there are two ways a flight is eligible.
  1. your flight must be marketed and operated by British Airways, or
  2. British Airways codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by oneworld member airlines and affiliates.
That looks to me like a BA*/AA codeshare should be eligible (and it would be very weird if they weren't; that's one of the most important points of being in oneworld, after all – the whole point from the airlines' point of view is to keep you ticket purchases for all trips within the oneworld family so your revenue is captive to oneworld airlines!).

Is the flight you want in the eligible flight number range?

"Codeshare flights marketed by British Airways and operated by a carrier that is not a oneworld member airline are not eligible to earn miles" appears to be an entirely redundant clarification; a flight operated by a non-oneworld airline wouldn't be eligible per 1 or 2 anyway.

Last edited by ashill; Aug 5, 2021 at 12:00 pm
ashill is offline  
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PAE
Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wow, that sucks. I almost booked one of those recently (the SEA-LHR nonstop on AA, sold and marketed by BA). I really had hoped for OW membership to make earning credit straightforward.
I share your pain. My BA ticket on all AS and BA metal got all messed up with schedule changes, and I accepted a reroute on some BA codeshares on AA. Now I will have to expect to earn only AA miles on them. I thought I was more careful than that--but I too misremembered the new rules as pretty much "earn on any OW flight operated by a OW carrier".
notquiteaff likes this.
ACBLtd is offline  
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:41 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Posts: 5,950
Has anyone actually been denied credit for a BA flight operated by a different oneworld airline? Because, as posted above, I think this whole thread is a misreading of the earning page on Alaska’s web site, specifically the word “or” and some could-be-clearer punctuation.
ashill is offline  
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,123
I don't see any ambiguity in the language, but does anyone have an update on this. It looks like every BA marketed AA operated flight that I want to book is outside the eligible mileage range. Is this intentional?
Aliquot is offline  
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:28 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Posts: 3,806
Originally Posted by ashill
Has anyone actually been denied credit for a BA flight operated by a different oneworld airline? Because, as posted above, I think this whole thread is a misreading of the earning page on Alaska’s web site, specifically the word “or” and some could-be-clearer punctuation.
My experience is that things are not working properly automatically. Worse is that once a claim is filled, AS treats it as if it were a AA flight, to which AA replies that the passenger was not in their flight. After three calls I finally talked to someone from the back office who seemed to have misunderstood the new rules. I clarified that a flight operated by AA and marketed by BA should post as BA. After a hold he came back and said I was right. Yet the flights eventually posted as AA. Another call is in order to correct it (F bucket class ticket gives a whole lot of difference if it is AA or BA)
HangryDad likes this.
DeltaFlyingProf is offline  
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:39 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Seattle
Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
My experience is that things are not working properly automatically. Worse is that once a claim is filled, AS treats it as if it were a AA flight, to which AA replies that the passenger was not in their flight. After three calls I finally talked to someone from the back office who seemed to have misunderstood the new rules. I clarified that a flight operated by AA and marketed by BA should post as BA. After a hold he came back and said I was right. Yet the flights eventually posted as AA. Another call is in order to correct it (F bucket class ticket gives a whole lot of difference if it is AA or BA)
Did you have to ask for a specific department or wait a specific amount of time to call? I am in this exact same boat. 3/4 flights booked on BA and flown on their metal posted without issue. The last long haul on AA metal (in paid I) hasn't posted after 3 weeks.
HangryDad is offline  
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Posts: 3,806
Originally Posted by HangryDad
Did you have to ask for a specific department or wait a specific amount of time to call? I am in this exact same boat. 3/4 flights booked on BA and flown on their metal posted without issue. The last long haul on AA metal (in paid I) hasn't posted after 3 weeks.
I went through the normal submission channel first. Nothing happened, so I called and was told to be patient that it was submitted and they were waiting for an answer. Then when my account showed:
AMERICAN AIRLINES
Flight 50 DFW LHR Declined:
Member not found on flight
I called. They said they'd resubmit and "we may have to post manually". Two weeks later, still nothing, so I called again. Now the person handling the call said she'd get someone on the line who could help better. He said he remembered my case (I guess during the previous call, he must have been asked for help). But then he said that they had submitted the claim to AA and got that answer from them. I suspected then that it was mishandled. I questioned more and he stated that it was the operating carrier that would make the posting. I mentioned that this was not the case anymore since AS had joined oneworld. That's when he asked for some time to look it up and after a minute or two came back saying I was right and that I'd have to wait up to 6 weeks for BA to respond.
Just two days ago, the flight appeared with
AMERICAN AIRLINES
Flight 50 DFW LHR Credited
Miles: 4,751; Bonus: 10,690; Total: 15,441
This matches AA's earning chart for a MVP 75k F booking class (2.25 x 4,751 = 10,689.75) while a BA F should give a bonus of 4+1.25=5.25x and thus a bonus of 24,943 for a total of 29,694. Similarly the EQM factor is 2x on AA and 3x as BA.

In your case, the EQM will be the same if they post it as AA but your RDM will suffer as well.

I just flew a similar ticket that ended yesterday (the outbound was 8 days ago) and will report what happens to this one. This last ticket has codeshare only on the domestic portion, so the difference is not as dramatic, but still.
Hangry_Dad likes this.
DeltaFlyingProf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.