Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

WOW - EWR Baggage Service Guarantee - Garbage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW - EWR Baggage Service Guarantee - Garbage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by anteater
This. AS is pretty understanding and usually does the right thing. In any enterprise, it is difficult to maintain brand standards completely. Disneyland is probably the largest company I can recall where experiences and staff are consistent.

As for AS, if you explain your experience to Customer Care I bet they will offer you the miles for your bags, perhaps a little extra for the poor experience. AS does use these feedbacks to re-train and correct mistakes.
They really should automate the process of handling late bag claims. I'm not sure why a customer has to go to Customer Service for a request like this in 2021, when a lot of things can be done online or on a mobile app. I think this is an area where Alaska can improve a bit more on - if they really care about the experience for the customer, they should make it easier for the customer to file a claim and receive compensation for it.
AS Flyer likes this.

Last edited by ab2013; Jul 14, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by twitch76
I’ve had to press agents at SAN and BOS before. I’m now prepared to simply say: “Look, I don’t have time to debate with you. I’d like your name and badge number for when I contact customer service.” The one time I’ve actually used that line, it resulted in a huffily handed over certificate.
Amazing. I hope a BSG experience doesn't come to this, but if it ever does, I now know how to be politely(?) firm, yet efficient.

I have written Alaska about training “final point of contact employees” to be as pleasant and as helpful as “first point of contact employees.” It’s unfortunate that this is not a universally applied standard.
This is fascinating, actually, and it's probably true [that the last POC often seems less pleasant/helpful than first]. Is it because baggage staff are usually contract? Or because they have less (and a different type) of training? Is it something more inherent... for example, pre-flight the customer could still cancel, but post-flight, the customer has no leverage? Anyways.

**It is true that if there is a baggage handling malfunction, then the BSG doesn’t apply.
More broadly, I hope carriers don't start fudging this [without proof]. It already seems like some carriers fudge the weather excuse for a delay/cancellation sometimes. (E.g. Carrier A says a subset of its flights can't depart due to weather, when all of a similar volume of Carrier B's and Carrier C's flights, from the same airport, are departing just fine.)

Originally Posted by ab2013
They really should automate the process of handling late bag claims. I'm not sure why a customer has to go to Customer Service for a request like this in 2021, when a lot of things can be done online or on a mobile app. I think this is an area where Alaska can improve a bit more on - if they really care about the experience for the customer, they should make it easier for the customer to file a claim and receive compensation for it.
I think it's because they don't want to overly-incentivize claims. As such, there needs to be a little "friction" to the process. Passengers-in-the-know can make a claim at the baggage office within a limited time frame, but the implicit goal is such that not every passenger makes a claim. However, my guess is they didn't intend for individual employees (or entire stations) to be so disagreeable about processing them (that's a separate issue).

Perhaps it's not too unlike stores which offer price match guarantees: they're not incentivized to offer a mass price adjustment for all affected customers, but those who are willing to jump through a few hoops to match a price are allowed to do so.

So why even offer a BSG to begin with? Probably to instill confidence in their potential customers, where they had calculated the increase in ticket sales would outweigh the volume of BSG claims.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
So why even offer a BSG to begin with? Probably to instill confidence in their potential customers, where they had calculated the increase in ticket sales would outweigh the volume of BSG claims.
That's the right question: Why does the bag guarantee exist? Has anyone ever chosen Alaska over another airline because of the BSG? That's just way, way down my list. But Alaska must think it matters because they announce it on every flight, sometimes multiple times.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I love the BSG. It gives me a fun game to play with my stopwatch when the bell dings.

Alas, I haven't been able to collect even once this year. My last bags at SFO came out at 9 minutes, which is kind of amazing, yet disappointing. ;-)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Sounds like some agents think the BSG comes directly out of their own pockets...so weird.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by PDXpress
But Alaska must think it matters because they announce it on every flight, sometimes multiple times.
And when a customer who might not be aware of the exact terms and conditions (there's quite a long list - I was actually surprised the first time I read through it) and finds that their request gets denied when such a guarantee was advertised so well (I've heard FAs announce this guarantee multiple times in a flight as well), it inevitably results in frustration for the customer. Not only did the customer not get compensation - the customer also wasted precious time talking to customer service.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
The other day at SAN, the belt didn’t start rolling until about 18:00 after arrival. My bag (priority tagged) came off at least 2/3 of the way through the bags, at 22:05. When I went to the agent, she asked me how she could help. I said, “here to make a bag service guarantee claim.” She said incredulously, “what flight?” I said “Seattle.” She looked at me like I had two heads, said “Seattle?” and started pulling things up on her screen. I said, “Yes. My bag arrived at 22:05 after arrival at the gate.” She grumpily took my claim check and gave me a voucher.
This is why agents are grumpy. 22:05? Really? Do you so not value your time (or the agent's) that it's worth schlepping over to the baggage office and talking to an agent for two minutes? FTers turning customer service gestures like this into a sport is why they disappear...
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
That's the right question: Why does the bag guarantee exist? Has anyone ever chosen Alaska over another airline because of the BSG? That's just way, way down my list. But Alaska must think it matters because they announce it on every flight, sometimes multiple times.
I've never claimed the BSG, but it is absolutely the case that AS bags arrive much quicker than other airlines IME, and I suspect it's because AS puts themselves on the line to do so. I almost never check bags, but am far more likely to do so on AS than any other airline domestically due to reasonable expectation of not having to wait forever to claim them. More checked bags likely leads to fewer cabin bags which leads to quicker boarding which leads to more on time flights which leads to...
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Erasmus
This is why agents are grumpy. 22:05? Really? Do you so not value your time (or the agent's) that it's worth schlepping over to the baggage office and talking to an agent for two minutes? FTers turning customer service gestures like this into a sport is why they disappear...
A couple of things:

1) I already told you that I wait a few beats after the “ding” to start my stopwatch, and that I don’t bother make the claim if it’s on the belt within 21:00.

2) I didn’t make the policy, Alaska did. If they wanted it to be 22:30 or 25:00, they could have made it that way. I’m already giving them an extra minute. How much should I give them? Why?

3) The bag claim office in SAN is on the way to oversized baggage, which is where my UNLOCKED pelican case comes out. SAN has always told me that my pelican case comes out on oversized because it’s locked… so I started leaving it unlocked… it still came out on the oversized belt.

4) My conversation with the baggage agent took 30-45 seconds, not two minutes. I didn’t even wait in line.

5) Since AS joined the OW alliance, my bags are supposed to receive priority handling. Had the SAN handlers been attentive to setting priority bags aside so they went on the belt first, they would have easily met the guarantee.

6) I’ll turn around on the sidewalk to pick up a dime… and if I’m not in a hurry, a nickel or even a penny. So yes… I guess the extra 30-45 seconds of my time IS worth $25 or 2,500 miles.

Alaska is certainly free to change or eliminate the policy. But unless they do, nobody should feel shame or guilt for working the policy at whatever level it’s worth to them. For me, I’ve decided that’s somewhere around the 21 minute mark.
channa, missamo80 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:24 pm

5) Since AS joined the OW alliance, my bags are supposed to receive priority handling. Had the SAN handlers been attentive to setting priority bags aside so they went on the belt first, they would have easily met the guarantee.
Oh my. Had the baggage handers been attentive to separating the few special bags, they might have not had anyone's bags ready in 20 minutes. Anybody who thinks the priority tags (OW or otherwise) are worth anything domestically are just fooling themselves. I'll vote for everyone's bags in ~22 mins vs. priority bags in 18 and the remainder in 30--or far worse, which is often the case with other airlines at SAN.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Oh my. Had the baggage handers been attentive to separating the few special bags, they might have not had anyone's bags ready in 20 minutes. Anybody who thinks the priority tags (OW or otherwise) are worth anything domestically are just fooling themselves. I'll vote for everyone's bags in ~22 mins vs. priority bags in 18 and the remainder in 30--or far worse, which is often the case with other airlines at SAN.
Sure. I don’t actually disagree with you. I didn’t ask for priority bag handling either. But again, I didn’t create the policy.

(And, so far, my priority tagged bags have come off first about 80% of the time. It certainly has been worth something in my experience.)
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure this really needs to be a vote on either. AS seems to think they can do them all, in the correct order, in less than 20 minutes. If they offer me something for failing to meet that goal, who am I to turn it down?
channa, NoLaGent and twitch76 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
I've been told by the AS Facebook page and the baggage agents in LAS that the 20 minute guarantee only refers to the first bag coming off the carousel, even if my bag ends up coming out 20+ minutes after the start of the guarantee.

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
...More broadly, I hope carriers don't start fudging this [without proof]. It already seems like some carriers fudge the weather excuse for a delay/cancellation sometimes. (E.g. Carrier A says a subset of its flights can't depart due to weather, when all of a similar volume of Carrier B's and Carrier C's flights, from the same airport, are departing just fine.)...
When the aircraft is coming from an airport other than the destination airport, the issue seems more like "schedule reliability" rather than weather or ATC at that other airport. DL used to keep spare DC-9s and MD-88s parked at ATL to minimize such delays; it would just tell passengers to go to a nearby gate or tow the spare aircraft from the hanger/remote parking.

It would be interesting to see the net cost of such vouchers in terms of how many are collected and redeemed. It might be cheaper to just give any passengers who ask for the voucher a voucher at the airport rather than have them call Customer Care and complain.

It's interesting to hear that DL's baggage claim guarantee is automated. It reminds me of the former DL policy that allowed free rebookings, occasionally automatic rebookings, whenever a flight landed more than 15 minutes earlier or later than its scheduled arrival time.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I've been told by the AS Facebook page and the baggage agents in LAS that the 20 minute guarantee only refers to the first bag coming off the carousel, even if my bag ends up coming out 20+ minutes after the start of the guarantee.
You may have been told this... but until AS changes the language on their webpage, it is simply inaccurate. Those agents may be lying to you, unable to read simple English, or simply misinformed.

Here's the link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nute-guarantee

Here's the relevant line: "If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane's arrival at the gate, we'll offer you a $25 discount code..." (emphasis mine)

Nowhere in the footnotes (where plenty of exceptions are given) does it clarify that they really only mean the first bag off the plane. If AS wanted to say "if bags from your flight are not at baggage claim..." they would do so. Given the number of footnotes, they could easily add a line that says "BSG applies only when the first bag from the flight is not available within 20 minutes."

I actually keep a screenshot of the policy on my phone in case I need to show it to a baggage agent.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I've been told by the AS Facebook page and the baggage agents in LAS that the 20 minute guarantee only refers to the first bag coming off the carousel, even if my bag ends up coming out 20+ minutes after the start of the guarantee. [...]
Well I sure hope the ramp staff don't start expediting a single bag onto the belt, for each flight, just to ensure the BSG is not claimable for that flight.

You may have been told this... but until AS changes the language on their webpage, it is simply inaccurate. Those agents may be lying to you, unable to read simple English, or simply misinformed.

Here's the link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nute-guarantee

Here's the relevant line: "If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane's arrival at the gate, we'll offer you a $25 discount code..." (emphasis mine)

Nowhere in the footnotes (where plenty of exceptions are given) does it clarify that they really only mean the first bag off the plane. If AS wanted to say "if bags from your flight are not at baggage claim..." they would do so. Given the number of footnotes, they could easily add a line that says "BSG applies only when the first bag from the flight is not available within 20 minutes."

I actually keep a screenshot of the policy on my phone in case I need to show it to a baggage agent.
​​​​​
Has it ever come to the point of needing to show the baggage agent the policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.