Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You certainly are entitled to your opinions. There will be an influx of AA Platinum Pro & Executive Platinum who will fly AS for OWE. They have their status extended through 2021 but will never requalify for 2022 on $100 F fares with the EQD requirement. OWE from AS will hold them over while they rebuild in 2022. I suspect that AS decided to introduce the 100K tier in 2022 when bonus EQM will likely have ceased. They won't want an inflated new tier with bonus EQM if they introduced it in 2021. We will have to agree to disagree.

Just in case you think my "claim" of achieving 2022 status is a hoax! My account was updated on January 9th after flying 4 segments in 2021.

James
No need for you to prove anything, or be defensive. You're an outlier. My whole point was business travel has been destroyed, and that's the source of most elite status.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
One benefit that no one has mentioned is a dedicated phone line with the most trained and experienced agents. What I love about AA's EXP line is the ability to call and get through to someone usually within seconds. These agents tend to bend the rules or make miracles happen and are so helpful during IRROPS. Now with AS, I have experienced several schedule changes over the last year due to COVID and wait times are unsurprisingly longer than usual even when calling the MVP priority line. As far as I know, it seems that the phone line only expedites your place in line and doesn't connect with you a certain agent for your tier. And it doesn't make a difference in wait time when you are an MVP vs 75k. I tested this on Sunday when I experienced many flights cancel after Saturday night's schedule changes were made and my partner is an MVP and as a 75K, we called same time and were quoted the same hold time and my partner actually got through first.

In sum, I just think a VIP phone line with a special team would be a valuable benefit to even expand for both 75ks and 100ks because there would be enough people in those two tiers to justify this soft product benefit. By creating new benefits for the 100k tier, Alaska could still offer a reduced version of a certain benefit to the 75k tier and even Gold tier, which would be a win-win for all.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
One benefit that no one has mentioned is a dedicated phone line with the most trained and experienced agents. ...

In sum, I just think a VIP phone line with a special team would be a valuable benefit to even expand for both 75ks and 100ks because there would be enough people in those two tiers to justify this soft product benefit. By creating new benefits for the 100k tier, Alaska could still offer a reduced version of a certain benefit to the 75k tier and even Gold tier, which would be a win-win for all.
As a former UA Premier Exec (in the days when that status received UGs about 75% of the time) and a former 1K (when that status received UGs about 95% of the time), the best thing going for UA were its dedicated phone lines (both 1P and 1K lines went to dedicated very experienced call centers) and the 1K airport service centers. Ask reasonably, and you shall receive. Quickly, professionally, and with a smile.

How about a special service agent in the lounges for the 75/100Ks? Yes, it is a big expense. The other airlines have full service agents in their lounges able to serve passengers. And I understand why the current AS setup doesn't permit this. But I don't know that the current setup doesn't permit a separate desk within the lounges to handle IRROP or other difficult matters for the top tiers.

Perhaps the "most shocking event" (comments of hyperbole welcome) in my early days as a MVPG ca. the early days of the Clinton administration, was when I had a flight issue, went to the front desk in the BR, and sent out to a customer service counter. I've been singing "every rose has its thorn" ever since! This topic came up more than once during my tenure on the MVPG Advisory Board.

So, yes yes yes. A phone line with experienced agents who don't need to transfer calls for all but the most complicated and obscure situations, and a place in the lounge with an experienced agent with ticketing authority that doesn't need to call for help or permission for all but the most complicated and obscure situations.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I will be one of those MM that earned my status with half my flights on the Q400 (to exotic destinations such as Portland, Spokane, Montana, and Idaho) and lots of SEA-SFO, SEA-SJC, SEA-OAK trips with a few trans-cons each year. So, finding myself dealing with my lifetime gold becoming the equivalent of a current MVP is a bit disheartening. Actually, it is only the Horizon crews that acknowledge my status, none of the AS crews on either the Boeing or Airbus flights I have taken since last September ever do that which tends to show that it is really not that big of a deal anymore anyway. At least if I do get a chance for international travel I could earn miles and get options for seating that are not available to me now.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ctporter
I will be one of those MM that earned my status with half my flights on the Q400 (to exotic destinations such as Portland, Spokane, Montana, and Idaho)
You should get auto-100K just for that I know those Q400 have kind of a cult following but after a couple flights I'm fine never setting foot on one again. At 6'4" and 225# those planes really weren't made for me. I should have known I was in trouble when they took my small carry-on bag as I was boarding because it wouldn't fit in the overhead.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mtofell
You should get auto-100K just for that I know those Q400 have kind of a cult following but after a couple flights I'm fine never setting foot on one again. At 6'4" and 225# those planes really weren't made for me. I should have known I was in trouble when they took my small carry-on bag as I was boarding because it wouldn't fit in the overhead.
Oh I feel your pain! What makes them enjoyable is the crew, they are some of the friendliest, nicest FAs around. Its rare to get one that merely does just the minimum. When I fly them I tend to bury myself into a book trying to shut out the plane experience itself. Thankfully, the flights are not that long. Some, like SEA EAT are very short (one of the few that never has service) but the airport is fun. The hertz group always greets me with "hi! we have your Dodge Charger ready just for you!" cause they know I hate that car
beckoa, catmndu and mtofell like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ctporter
Oh I feel your pain! What makes them enjoyable is the crew, they are some of the friendliest, nicest FAs around. Its rare to get one that merely does just the minimum. When I fly them I tend to bury myself into a book trying to shut out the plane experience itself. Thankfully, the flights are not that long. Some, like SEA EAT are very short (one of the few that never has service) but the airport is fun. The hertz group always greets me with "hi! we have your Dodge Charger ready just for you!" cause they know I hate that car
I still haven't recovered from my handful of Q200 flights. There was a never ending buzzing vibration (not the kind that people pay extra for) that one never forgets, nor ever really recovers from.
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The Q is a great experience. Since they fly lower, the northwest views out the window are just amazing. I also second the fact that QX crews are some of the best ever, almost always have a great experience in the Q!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I bet the number who qualify for 75K this year will be a much larger number than you think. Many, who had never held the 75K Elite level, flew MRs in the fall to reach 75K with the Bonus EQM of up to 2.63× miles flown on cheap F fares. You could earn 75K from zero by flying at most 50K in any fare class to as little as 28,518 miles in F(F, P & I).

AS eliminated the additional requirement of higher thresholds for flying AS+Partners and extended the EQM Bonus through June 30th. I don't see that lowering the ranks of 75Ks. Additionally, even AA Elites, especially those not earning elevated EQD on international Partner segments offering a multiple to spend, will be vying for 75K to maintain OWE without having to meet the already reduced but still burdensome revenue component.

75K & 100K is a lot of miles on AS only. I would not have earned 75K had I not been able to qualify with 90K AS+Partners EQM. If you are already earning 90K, the step to 100K is really insignificant. I think many more 75K Elites on AS+Partner segments probably had more than 100K than those that squeak by at 90K. I would have organically earned 75K on AS in 2020 but that was only because of the EQM from Credit Card spend and the 50% EQM bonus. Over the last three years, I have earned 388K EQM. I don't think meeting a 100K requirement is going to be difficult for a lot of 75Ks.

James
. James, if you travel that much on AS partners, aren’t you better off crediting to that partner to build up enough elite status to get some upgrades? For instance if all my travel was international, I’d switch to AA to get a (real) first class seat or other upgrades. It’s much nicer to sit in business or first on a 9 hour flight vs a 2 hour one. If I didn’t use AS for much west coast flying from As heavy PDX I’d switch to DL for that reason too. Just curious as you are such a prolific traveler and I always appreciate your comments.
ftv likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The Q is a great experience. Since they fly lower, the northwest views out the window are just amazing. I also second the fact that QX crews are some of the best ever, almost always have a great experience in the Q!
Completely agree, especially about the QX crews. I also really like row 2 on the right side bulkhead. It's basically first class on the Q.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
. James, if you travel that much on AS partners, aren’t you better off crediting to that partner to build up enough elite status to get some upgrades? For instance if all my travel was international, I’d switch to AA to get a (real) first class seat or other upgrades. It’s much nicer to sit in business or first on a 9 hour flight vs a 2 hour one. If I didn’t use AS for much west coast flying from As heavy PDX I’d switch to DL for that reason too. Just curious as you are such a prolific traveler and I always appreciate your comments.
Many people, often with no connection to AS (they don't even live in the US or fly AS), will use AS as a miles bank for all their flying on partners.

This is why AS instituted a metal requirement.

For example, for the longest time, nationals in Asia were booking intra-Asia flights on CX/JL because of the one-way stopover loophole and extremely generous AS pricing (22.5/25k one way in J on JL/CX), so they could book KUL-TYO//TYO-SIN and fly Business extremely cheaply. Even buying miles straight from Mileage Plan would mean a J ticket for these flights would cost $400-500 for normal revenue ticket prices of $2000+

No surprise, AS shut that down once it got out of control.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:59 pm

You certainly are entitled to your opinions. There will be an influx of AA Platinum Pro & Executive Platinum who will fly AS for OWE. They have their status extended through 2021 but will never requalify for 2022 on $100 F fares with the EQD requirement. OWE from AS will hold them over while they rebuild in 2022. I suspect that AS decided to introduce the 100K tier in 2022 when bonus EQM will likely have ceased. They won't want an inflated new tier with bonus EQM if they introduced it in 2021. We will have to agree to disagree.
AA is offering an EQD waiver for Platinum Pro if you spend $30k on a cobranded card, so there's an easy workaround. ExPlat, on the other hand, not as much
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nall
AA is offering an EQD waiver for Platinum Pro if you spend $30k on a cobranded card, so there's an easy workaround. ExPlat, on the other hand, not as much
Indeed, I am aware and have posted about that too. As you say, not so much for achieving ExPlat and more reason to get OWE through AS. They can continue to fly AA in F and earn 150% EQM on AS plus a whole lot more distance based RDM. Getting the requisite AS segments is easier when the carriers are cohabitated. Flying the requisite AS segments in F affords 263% EQM during the first half of the year.

Before Covid-19 and reduced qualifications, I could have qualified for AA ExPlat on 10 Partner flights for ~$4300. The reason I never did was because the RDM earned paled in comparison and I would have had a relatively small 12 month rolling EQD for upgrades.

James
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I still haven't recovered from my handful of Q200 flights. There was a never ending buzzing vibration (not the kind that people pay extra for) that one never forgets, nor ever really recovers from.
There was that one special middle seat too...

Yes, I flew a few of the Q200's... well, a bit more.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:49 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Any thoughts on AS restricting their 100k tier to AS only metal?
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.