Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
And there's the email announcing the 100k tier. AA is going to destroy AS.
ftv likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Excerpt from email just received from AS...

For members who fly 100,000 miles per year, we’re also introducing a new tier starting in 2022. This will recognize our absolute top echelon road warriors and offer perks such as increased bonus miles, top upgrade priority on Alaska flights, lounge benefits, and more. Look for more details later in 2021. • You’ll have access to the fully-activated oneworld Alliance where you can earn miles and use them on 13 global oneworld member airlines. In fact, earning elite-qualifying miles on our partners will help you reach the 100K tier much faster!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Time for a new thread. It's official:

For members who fly 100,000 miles per year,
we’re also introducing a new tier starting in 2022. This will recognize our absolute top echelon road warriors and offer perks such as increased bonus miles, top upgrade priority on Alaska flights, lounge benefits, and more. Look for more details later in 2021.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also just received. I have to believe this was part of their agreement to enter OW, as other carriers likely viewed the 75K top tier figure as too low. It will inevitably mean a devaluation of 75K.

Unanswered question: Will it be possible to qualify for this new tier in 2021? Email seems to suggest so, but not clear.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
Also just received. I have to believe this was part of their agreement to enter OW, as other carriers likely viewed the 75K top tier figure as too low. It will inevitably mean a devaluation of 75K.

Unanswered question: Will it be possible to qualify for this new tier in 2021? Email seems to suggest so, but not clear.
I’ll ask today, as well as partner earnings toward 100k. AA BIS 100k to achieve AS MVP Gold 100K would severely impact AS metal customers
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Will be interesting to see how this develops. Starting to feel like the the old NW/CO partnership. That worked because they had largely disjoint networks. I worry AS is too much of the little sibling in an AS/AA alignment for it to be a stable steady state....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
Well just got the email announcing 100K tier. Not too happy.
ftv likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,

Why would other OW carriers object when that’s what many of their own thresholds are?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
So uh...who wants to mileage run to 100k this year? ROFL
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
It will inevitably mean a devaluation of 75K...
Agreed. I'd be pleased to be proven wrong.

OTOH for those of us who've been earning status by flying 90K on a combination of AS and partner airlines, it's "only" a 10% or so increase in mileage requirements.

Trying to look on the bright side of things...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:25 am

"Coming later in 2021, you’ll also have access to global business class upgrade certificates..." - sounds like SWUs to me, and assume it's upgrades on AA int'l flights.

Question - regarding the new 100K tier, will 75K still earn these newly minted AS SWUs? Or, are they associated with the 100K tier?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
2021 was looking like the first year since 2013 which I was going to be requalifying for a top-tier status on an airline and I was going to reach for 75k. No more. This will probably reduce flying for me
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Fredd
Trying to look on the bright side of things...
Yeah, I'm not so concerned for myself, but I think overall this is a bad sign for loyal Alaska fliers.

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Why would other OW carriers object when that’s what many of their own thresholds are?
Because AA, who I would suspect to be the prime mover, is 100k with a revenue requirement. More generally, compared to AA, BA, CX, JL, etc., it is comically easy to reach 75K flying partners in discount long-haul J.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska 75k, Marriott Platinum
I'm not a fan of this new 100k tier. Why is AS rolling out the red carpet to AA customers when AA wouldn't even let us use their board room in SFO? Now we are going to have a tier that let's AA elites take all the upgrades. Not to mention we are still fighting a global pandemic and most of the regular AS travelers aren't flying. The one thing that stood out to me in the email was that it said I only need 6 segments to maintain my status this year... it didn't specify what status. I can't imagine they will give me 75k again if I only fly 6 times. Did anyone else see that?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
So.....with this new tier, does that mean us million milers now get G75K for life or stay at what appears to be now, the lowly MVP Gold?
ctporter and DoubleWidesFly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.