Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by zdfld
Couple of different points:
3) If you flight is AS marketed (ie, has an AS flight number), it'll earn miles based on the AS chart. If it's AA marketed, it'll earn based on the AA chart. Assuming it's not basic economy on AA, you'll earn EQM.
The AS site shows only the AA flight number. The price on the AS site is listed as "Main". The AA app shows the reservation ticketed as "Economy" and lists my AS frequent flyer number as associated with the reservation (not my AA frequent flyer number)

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the thoroughness.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Dumb question: currently have a trip ticketed for my wife and myself. I might need to either cancel or partially change my flight, but probably want to leave hers alone. I assume I can just call AS to split the single PNR and then manage them separately? (and to be clear, I didn’t use a companion pass; my recollection from previous threads is that those cannot be split, which in turn makes me conclude that other PNRs *can* be split)
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Dumb question: currently have a trip ticketed for my wife and myself. I might need to either cancel or partially change my flight, but probably want to leave hers alone. I assume I can just call AS to split the single PNR and then manage them separately? (and to be clear, I didn’t use a companion pass; my recollection from previous threads is that those cannot be split, which in turn makes me conclude that other PNRs *can* be split)
Yes- I did this recently, split my son off on his own PNR so that my wife and I could move up to Premium seats after I made 75K. My son's reservation still shows up in my account along side ours. I called and it was straightforward.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: Alaska
I have been stalking AA awards to Rome for a while, just waiting for my dates to come up, and now it seems there is no availability via Mileage Plan for Pdx-Rome after April 30. All I see are BA awards. They were pretty consistently adding flights on a daily basis moving forward, but have just stopped now. Is this possible related to the Oneworld conversion? I figure my dates will be available around the end of July but now I am worried. I will be booking 4 flights from Pdx- Rome for travel on or around June 15,2022. I was hoping for Pdx-Ord-Rome or Pdx-Dfw-Rome in economy with main cabin extra. I have sometimes been able to get these itineraries by running it through multi-city if it doesn't ome up automatically, but no dice after April 30. It doesn't seem like Business or PE awards ever come up to Rome from AA. Two of us are skinny kids and comfort is not an issue for them. I have around 500k miles and all four of us have the lowest MVP status on AK, so not likely to get upgraded. (We should maintain this status for next year based on what we have booked for the rest of the year)

If I have to I can book BA PE flights, but I'd rather not pay the surcharge. If it's that much more comfortable I will.

I am too chicken to book Condor PE to Frankfurt and buy an onward flight on one ticket. Should I shoot for this? Definitely considering it on the return. Nothing like going through immigration and waltzing out of the airport in my hometown.

Aer Lingus awards are hard to find and I'm not sure we can buy extra legroom in economy. I don't want to fly to SFO or LAX, so I'm avoiding FinnAir.

Please help me decide how to best get us to Rome next June. I need expert advice and my husband is starting to give me "that look" every time I bring it up. I am a little intimidated by these forums and I was scared to ask until I found this thread.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
First Class Fare Codes

Hey All,

I’m looking at flying LAX-SJC on 22JUL, and I saw a 94 fare for first class seating. Looking at the fare rules it looks like it is just an economy O class ticket with a first class up charge. Just wondering for the purposes of earning points for AA, is this fare considered the super saver O fare, or a first class fare with unknown letter?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by GreatPlainsFlyer
Hey All,

I’m looking at flying LAX-SJC on 22JUL, and I saw a 94 fare for first class seating. Looking at the fare rules it looks like it is just an economy O class ticket with a first class up charge. Just wondering for the purposes of earning points for AA, is this fare considered the super saver O fare, or a first class fare with unknown letter?
I looked and when I add it to cart it’s an I class fare.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by anteater
I looked and when I add it to cart it’s an I class fare.
Thanks Anteater, just wondering where do you find that info when you are looking at it in the cart?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by GreatPlainsFlyer
Thanks Anteater, just wondering where do you find that info when you are looking at it in the cart?
Next to the fare class it should have the fare in parentheses. For example: First Class (I)
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Does AS still have the F fare class on domestic tickets?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by goblazers

If I have to I can book BA PE flights, but I'd rather not pay the surcharge. If it's that much more comfortable I will.

I am too chicken to book Condor PE to Frankfurt and buy an onward flight on one ticket. Should I shoot for this? Definitely considering it on the return. Nothing like going through immigration and waltzing out of the airport in my hometown.
Condor PE is basically what US airlines sell as Economy Plus or similar - an economy seat with a few inches more leg room (and some other benefits baked into the fare). It’s not a real Premium Economy seat. BA has a real PE product.

Right now Condor is still able to sell LH connector flights on the same ticket, but I think that may end in May of 2022. If you are looking at awards, not sure that those LH feeders are bookable. Not sure that I would risk separate tickets - it would depend on how long the connection is in FRA. If Condor were significantly delayed and you miss your next flight on separate ticket, the EU-mandated compensation might help you buy new tickets. Condor has been somewhat notorious for delayed flights in pre-Covid days, but my own flights were always uneventful.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Condor PE is basically what US airlines sell as Economy Plus or similar - an economy seat with a few inches more leg room (and some other benefits baked into the fare). It’s not a real Premium Economy seat. BA has a real PE product.

Right now Condor is still able to sell LH connector flights on the same ticket, but I think that may end in May of 2022. If you are looking at awards, not sure that those LH feeders are bookable. Not sure that I would risk separate tickets - it would depend on how long the connection is in FRA. If Condor were significantly delayed and you miss your next flight on separate ticket, the EU-mandated compensation might help you buy new tickets. Condor has been somewhat notorious for delayed flights in pre-Covid days, but my own flights were always uneventful.
Thanks! I can't book the LH to Rome through AS, so I think I don't want to chance it. The lure of Condor is the Pdx-Fra nonstop. I'm hoping once the OW conversion is complete there may be some better options than BA. I have seen a few AA awards to London from Sea for $19 in Business, but unless I can book through to Rome I don't want to chance it.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by danger
Does AS still have the F fare class on domestic tickets?
AS is now, J,C, D and I.
First is fared as business class to match up with One World merger.
J is fully refundable First ,
I think F is award
D and I are discounted fares booking into First class seats.
U - upgraded to first
Mile earnings are
J- 100% + 100%
C-100% + 75%
D and I - 100% + 50%

Last edited by pcoll; Jun 26, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pcoll
AS is now, J,C, D and I.
First is fared as business class to match up with One World merger.
J is fully refundable First ,
I think F is award
D and I are discounted fares booking into First class seats.
U - upgraded to first
Mile earnings are
J- 100% + 100%
C-100% + 75%
D and I - 100% + 50%
Damn. That's what I feared. I think that means it's going to be impossible to avoid a re-price on a DL-issued ticket with an AS leg because "class-to-class" (F for me) is no longer possible.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Is there a way to buy my son a mileage ticket and me qa cash one on same flight but link together so he has my upgrade possibioities?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Has anyone heard from our moderator and prolific poster, Flying for Fun ?!

I hope he's doing well, it's odd not to see anything posted from him in such a long time...
chrisl137, pcoll and RAD_PDX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.