Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Turn Your Wallet Credits into Mileage Plan™ Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turn Your Wallet Credits into Mileage Plan™ Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by storewanderer
What is the difference between a credit certificate and wallet funds?

I see I can spend wallet funds immediately, but the credit certificate cannot be spent until July 1, 2021 and expires a year later.
The big difference is for AS to be able to spread out its liability for all these credits. Now, many of us can book without giving another ˘ of revenue for some time.

For 10%, I won't bite. I'd rather not spend the next eight hundred and something dollars on travel from real cash instead of having another eighty some in credit in a year. (I wonder what the offer would have been had I still had the original $1500-ish in credit - 5%?)
Old Aug 19, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hey can someone help me evaluate this offer I got... I've been a bit disconnected from the frequent flier community for the past year or so. I had a trip booked for six passengers, and the total value was $1544.02. That's a lot of cash. I got an offer to convert it to 154,402 miles. That's a lot of miles. I have about that many already, and it occurs to me that having close to 300,000 Alaska air miles is a bit of a dream, assuming there's no major devaluation / program change before the next time we decide to book a family trip. Looks like on points.com, it would cost me $2750 to buy 150,000 miles right now. I'm leaning toward taking this offer, but if I'm making a wrong decision, someone please let me know! Thanks!!!
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
I have about $1,000 in wallet funds. I didn't get an offer to convert to RDM but if I did probably would not accept.
If traveling is a go by the second half of 2021, I'd rather use the wallet funds to book flights that will help my real wallet out when pushing to renew 75K by the end of 2021. And since I have 75K, those trips will also generate RDM too.
I might consider an offer to convert to a certificate though I am not sure.

I can see the appeal to convert wallet funds to miles at an attractive rate if status for you weren't as big a deal or if you need the miles for a sweet award seat on an international partner though.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I didn't get the offer, but since I've got a couple of Companion Certificates I'm going to need to use up I'd rather have the money in my wallet to pay for the Paid Fare.
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
having cancelled a pair of SEA-JNB tix (BA F outbound, SQ J return) I'm staring at ~600k redeemable miles, so another ~150k from my $1500 Wallet balance is only marginally interesting ... EQM maybe more so, but as Eujeanie mentions, it's an extremely good value proposition to use Wallet funds in conjunction with a Companion cert (and not to hijack this thread, but better still when/if there's Unicorn inventory )
socalgecko, pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OnlyTheoretical
I have about $1,000 in wallet funds. I didn't get an offer to convert to RDM but if I did probably would not accept.
If traveling is a go by the second half of 2021, I'd rather use the wallet funds to book flights that will help my real wallet out when pushing to renew 75K by the end of 2021. And since I have 75K, those trips will also generate RDM too.
I might consider an offer to convert to a certificate though I am not sure.

I can see the appeal to convert wallet funds to miles at an attractive rate if status for you weren't as big a deal or if you need the miles for a sweet award seat on an international partner though.
Those are good points. For consideration though, how many EQM did you earn between January 1st & April 30th? Those will rollover in January 2021 as a boost towards your 2022 status. If you are looking at the second half of 2021 to commence travel, keep in mind that wallet funds with extended expiry dates will expire on July 5th, 2021 forcing you into a use them or lose them situation. These may or may not sway your decision one way or the other.

I understand that everyone's situation is different and there are and will continue to be a lot of unknowns. Even though I have hundreds of thousands of miles, 50K RDM for $500 is pretty attractive. Of course, travel restrictions for me are likely to be lifted sooner and award redemptions can originate in Canada without traveling through the US. Portugal has already opened it's borders to Canadians without a need for testing or quarentine and Europe isn't out of reach. Less competition for award space would be favourable too.

James
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
yes it came within the last hour.
Perhaps a topic modification to add "or travel credits" (targeted offers) is in order.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I got the 50% offer with ~$700 in My Wallet. I took it — basically giving Alaska a loan with 50% interest that I can cash in on July 1st. That 50% return (almost risk-free) seems like a good deal to me.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm staring at ~600k redeemable miles, so another ~150k from my $1500 Wallet balance is only marginally interesting ...
I'd be happy to relieve you of the burden of any such perceived dead weight.

I haven't seen any such email, but then again somehow my wife's wallet picked up all recent credits ...

Originally Posted by jrl767
... as Eujeanie mentions, it's an extremely good value proposition to use Wallet funds in conjunction with a Companion cert
I think Alaska once mentioned to me that even the companion's wallet can be used, so absolutely!

Last edited by vanillabean; Aug 19, 2020 at 6:58 pm
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by JamilD
I got the 50% offer with ~$700 in My Wallet. I took it — basically giving Alaska a loan with 50% interest that I can cash in on July 1st. That 50% return (almost risk-free) seems like a good deal to me.
Airfares are depressed (cheap) right now. Do you think airfares will be the same next July? That is the risk, and a significant one. Your bonus may not take you as far after loaning AS your wallet money for the next 10+ months. The 50% return only holds if prices next year are the same as what they are now. If they increase by 50% you are no further ahead; if by more than 50% you are at a loss. The odds are always in favour of the "house." Anticipate fare increases when existing wallet funds start expiring and vouchers are eligible for redemption.

James
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
I was wondering why I never received this email only to realize my wallet only has $6 in it.

Darn.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mfolf
I was wondering why I never received this email only to realize my wallet only has $6 in it.

Darn.
Lucky you!
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mfolf

Darn.
You got me beat....I have zero.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Airfares are depressed (cheap) right now. Do you think airfares will be the same next July? That is the risk, and a significant one. Your bonus may not take you as far after loaning AS your wallet money for the next 10+ months. The 50% return only holds if prices next year are the same as what they are now. If they increase by 50% you are no further ahead; if by more than 50% you are at a loss. The odds are always in favour of the "house." Anticipate fare increases when existing wallet funds start expiring and vouchers are eligible for redemption.

James
I guess the other thing is if you are US based will you be traveling between now and next July or is it better to take the offer figuring you won't be traveling much if at all in the next 10.5 months...

Thing I don't like about the certificate is you cannot book anything with it until July 1. I'd like to book a trip for July and usually I'd book it in April...
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I guess the other thing is if you are US based will you be traveling between now and next July or is it better to take the offer figuring you won't be traveling much if at all in the next 10.5 months...

Thing I don't like about the certificate is you cannot book anything with it until July 1. I'd like to book a trip for July and usually I'd book it in April...
That is certainly a consideration as well.

Personally, as you have described, I would want to have the flexibility to take advantage of opportunities that may arise before next July. Let's say, for instance, that by next April, you can travel to Hawaii without testing or quarentine. If I can't use my wallet funds "locked in to a voucher," I loose the opportunity to purchase a fare in February or March hedging that possibility in April. Once July comes, the pent-up demand will have already resulted in commensurate fares if that comes to fruition.

Alternatively, by early next year, there may exist an accurate rapid test that can be administered before boarding and included in the airfare.

I think there are too many uncertainties to risk tying up funds now. Of course, if the seasonal flu strikes with a vengeance and people are infected with both the seasonal flu & COVID-19 simultaneously, the 50% bonus value may be very attractive next July.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.