Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Turn Your Wallet Credits into Mileage Plan™ Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turn Your Wallet Credits into Mileage Plan™ Miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Brendan
I learned of the first round around the last day (~Aug. 26) and read somewhere that only people who had agreed to receive email offers had gotten it. So I logged in and changed my NO to YES on email offers, then hoped prayed for another round, which happened today. I was stuck with a $188 wallet which I had been keeping alive since 2017 by buying, extending, and cancelling non-penatly tickets. So I happily converted the whole thing because I live in Charleston SC & rarely go to Seattle! So now I have 13K + 19K = 32K miles toward the 35K needed for a round-trip to the Caribbean on AA!
Goose Creek here 🤪
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by buzglyd
That’s what I’m thinking. If I cancelled all my currently booked flights, my wallet would inflate to about $3000. Do I need 300k miles to add to my current 300k miles? I’ll likely pass. I think money is better than promises right now.
same. I would be at about 1 million miles and absolutely no place I can go. I’ll use my wallet funds eventually... 2025?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by buzglyd
That’s what I’m thinking. If I cancelled all my currently booked flights, my wallet would inflate to about $3000. Do I need 300k miles to add to my current 300k miles? I’ll likely pass. I think money is better than promises right now.
At this point, I am long WN Rapid Rewards points for shorthaul domestic travel because THEY allowed conversion of travel funds to points, so bulking up on a good program for international longhaul J/F awards didn't seem like a bad complement to that.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yattalren
Ticket
If you use the funds to ticket something and then cancel it, do you get a new expiration date or do you retain the original expiration date? I'm thinking about the worst case scenario of it getting close to summer 2021 and travel for the second half of the year still looking dicey; I'd feel better about just sitting on the funds if I can book and cancel in June 2021 to get a June 2022 expiration date.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Was on the fence but decided to convert $613.60 for 61,360. My credit expiration was July 2021. Currently assuming winter and next spring travel will still be by car -- so earliest possible flights for my family will be August 2021. But even if they extend the expirations another year, have so many credits to use on other airlines. And even if they devalue figure it will come back to about even.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 3:18 pm
HAF

I totally took advantage of this offer. An AS mile is usually worth about 1.5 cents and up. With this offer it is 1c/mile - which does not come around often. So after cashing in ~$800 I have ended up with 400K miles but i can think of many ways to use them in 2021 and beyond. Let's cross our fingers that the redemption deals on F JP / CX etc will not go away.....
OnlyTheoretical likes this.

Last edited by HAF; Oct 12, 2020 at 3:18 pm Reason: clarity
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I've been going back and forth over this for the past few days. On one hand, it's a good deal for the purchase of miles, but on the other hand, I feel that I already have a lot of miles that I can't effectively use right now.

Although I did receive the email invitation, since yesterday the Web page to convert miles repeatedly errors out with "Something went wrong, please try again later." I think that's a sign that I should sit tight for now and use the wallet funds in 2021 to help make status....
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If I didn't have companion tickets to use I would do it. But I do not want to reach into my pocket for cash to pay for the companion fares when I can use my wallet.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Ive been going back and forth
My wallet funds expire Mar 15 2021

Pro brings me up to 200K miles
and no plans to fly as of now

Con Is alaska going to restore much of SFO and OAK service thats been decimated?
SFO MSY? gone for good?
SFO BWI?
OAK-LIH/OGG/HNL/KOA?
SFO-HNL

i wonder if these are gone for long term?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Can I buy a ticket and cancel, and then convert voucher to miles?

i just saw this
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by stallion114
Can I buy a ticket and cancel, and then convert voucher to miles?

i just saw this
Haha no, that violates the T&C.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Haha no, that violates the T&C.
Has anyone done this successfully?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by stallion114
Has anyone done this successfully?
You can do it, but the T&C says the miles will be clawed back and converted back to a wallet credit. There likely hasn't been enough time to see if that will actually happen yet. You can certainly roll the dice if you'd like.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If you use the funds to ticket something and then cancel it, do you get a new expiration date or do you retain the original expiration date? I'm thinking about the worst case scenario of it getting close to summer 2021 and travel for the second half of the year still looking dicey; I'd feel better about just sitting on the funds if I can book and cancel in June 2021 to get a June 2022 expiration date.
This may have changed, but last time I called in to ask (which was a while ago) my recollection is if you cancel a ticket used with Wallet funds after their expiration date and try to redeposit them into the Wallet, they do not automatically reset for another year. You have 30 days to rebook another ticket or the Wallet money is gone forever. So ticketing and canceling isn't necessarily an automatic one-year Wallet fund extension from the date you cancel. Others may have more recent experiences.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If I didn't have companion tickets to use I would do it. But I do not want to reach into my pocket for cash to pay for the companion fares when I can use my wallet.
That's why I only converted 50% of my Wallet balance. But then again, I had $1100 in the Wallet, and that was excessive for my travel plans for 2021, companion cert or no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.