Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Passengers Now Called “Guests”

Alaska Airlines Passengers Now Called “Guests”

Old May 12, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jtroche1203
I work at Target - and we use "guest" as well, it's a huge culture thing, and Target modeled Disney a few years back. You should see how guests trash the place, though.
Just like hotels. People are "guests" and always treat the rooms like their own homes!
Old May 12, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by keitherson
Makes sense. When I have guests over, I also charge them for food and for sitting where they want to.
I'm going to start doing this when we have dinner parties again.

Do you give your guests more service based on how much they pay? What happens when the cheap guests come over? Do they have to wait for all your other guests to sit down before sitting crammed in a corner?
Old May 12, 2020, 11:32 am

Not “guests”, but more like “cattle” on some other airlines....
Old May 12, 2020, 11:41 am
gcv
Original Poster

I hope there is more to it than that. It seems to show how shallow our society has become. Why should being labeled a “guest” provide an incentive to be provided with better customer service than as a “passenger”? Is passenger now a derogatory term? For that matter, why would labeling a person as “cabin crew” versus “flight attendant” change the respect people should have for those employees? If I were invited to a friend’s home as a “guest” for four or five hours and they treated me to a 1-ounce bag of nuts and a glass of soda as a thank you I’d feel slighted. Maybe labeling passengers as guests is intended to compensate passengers for the decreased level of service on all airlines in all classes of service?

Being on a roll, why would reclassifying a salesperson as a “sales associate” be considered an honor or promotion? Or a waiter being reclassified as a “service member”? Or a building maintenance person as an “engineer”? I probably sound like a grinch, but it seems like titles are getting to be more important than the work being done, the deserved respect, or reasonable compensation.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only thing that matters is the contract which each purchaser has with AS. That contract uses the term "passenger"

"Passenger means any person, except members of the crew working on the flight, carried or holding a Confirmed Reservation to be carried in an aircraft with the consent of the Carrier and who is bound by this Contract of Carriage."

Any other term is marketing-speak collateral and is meaningless. Don't read anything into it other than that there are people at AS, just like other enterprises, who are paid to make you feel better about them and thus spend money with them. In particular, one is not a "guest" as that implies someone who is invited and does not, by definition, pay.
missamo80, be_rettSEA and DrAlex like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
And here I thought it was "self-loading cargo."
tusphotog and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
It's all marketing film-flam

If I'm a guest somewhere, anywhere, first of all I expect to receive an invitation, not go online and purchase my right of admission. Secondly, I don't expect to pay for the privilige of being a guest and, thirdly, I wouldn't expect to be charged for the food and drinks I consume. It would actually be quite fun to order every single item off the BoB menu and then refuse to pay, since I'm "a guest".

Passenger or customer fits the bill perfectly, but that doesn't make consultants or marketing people any money,
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by Sheikh Yerbooty; May 12, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Old May 12, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Years ago I was working restaurants and we were training a summer staff. In a meeting one of the new guys said something about a, "customer" and the manager immediately stopped him and said, "prostitutes have customers.... we have guests."

The labeling of job titles and people is kind of the new, "woke" way of business. In my industry instead of calling people schedulers, office staff are now referred to as, "client care coordinators." I feel like we have more important issues facing us but everyone has to out do the other guys and make it look like they care more.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mtofell
Years ago I was working restaurants and we were training a summer staff. In a meeting one of the new guys said something about a, "customer" and the manager immediately stopped him and said, "prostitutes have customers.... we have guests."

The labeling of job titles and people is kind of the new, "woke" way of business. In my industry instead of calling people schedulers, office staff are now referred to as, "client care coordinators." I feel like we have more important issues facing us but everyone has to out do the other guys and make it look like they care more.
Absolutely. And in the end, it means squat to the guest. New Target lingo for 'cashier' is 'Guest Advocate,' which is great and all, but that team member is going to tell family and friends that they're a cashier because they know what that means.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by flatdawgs
Some flights, I feel like #2 or #3 .

Definition of guest

(Entry 1 of 3)

1aa person entertained in one's house
ba person to whom hospitality is extended
ca person who pays for the services of an establishment (such as a hotel or restaurant)
2an organism (such as an insect) sharing the dwelling of another#3 03336], especially : INQUILINE
3a substance that is incorporated in a host substance
4a usually prominent person not a regular member of a cast or organization who appears in a program or performance
Old May 12, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Some flights, I feel like #2 or #3 .

Definition of guest

The etymology is interesting as well, it derives from the same word as Ghost and Host. At least according to the History of English Podcast I listen to.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Well, this thread is getting strange rather quickly...

Regards
Old May 12, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I guess it's better than "Self Loading Freight".
Old May 12, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by timfountain
I guess it's better than "Self Loading Freight".
Originally Posted by flatdawgs
do you feel better when you see it capitalized?
Old May 12, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
As a “guest” to a dinner, party, show, or any countless other activities, I am grateful and appreciative to the other person. This term in my opinion implies a mutually considerate gratitude and appreciation. It need not imply any inherent debt , liability or responsibilities on the part of the host of a party or event.

The term customer and or passenger is indeed mechanical and transactional in which as some have reiterated that because payment was rendered that the responsibility and liability is all one sided- in this case all on the part of Alaska airlines moving people from point A to point B.

As such it’s a fine line as many who have posted expect to be treated like a “guest” when wanting the convenient privileges and amenities at the lowest possible transactional cost. Then in short order will also want to be viewed and treated as a “paying customer or passenger “ when things don’t go perfectly such as weather delay, safety checks for a light indicator in the cockpit or the requirement or need to change the schedule for long term financial viability of a business in an unprecedented pandemic situation in which nearly the entire nation’s retail and hospitality business are ordered to shut down or alter business proceedings.

So in conclusion I’m fine with being called a guest and thankful for the service Alaska is able to provide during flush times and challenging times. Let us be reminded that it’s easy to be nice when times are good, but our true colors and a organizations true culture become evident in times of stress.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.