Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minz56
The following wording is included for Malaysia Airlines, and is also included for all OW carriers:
The wording is not included with CX. Only Marketed & Operated CX flights are eligible for MR accrual. I am not sure if that is an oversight or intentional.

Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific. Codeshare flights marketed by Cathay Pacific and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn miles. Cathay Pacific award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles or elite qualifying miles or segments.
Eligible flight numbers
0100–0999

To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (CX) must precede the flight number (for example, CX XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
One question to which I am not finding an answer is what earning tables AS will apply on intra one-world codeshares.
Traditionally AS has given the operating carrier's earning for tickets operated by one partner and sold by another. It's not automatic, but a request by email used to allow to get the miles relatively easily.
On the other hand, AFAIK, oneworld's general rule is that the ticketing airline's rates apply. Has anybody heard or found what the method used by AS is going to be?
This was discussed in the Alaska oneworld benefits thread, which is more concise than this one and doesn't include the pre-joining conversation based on the increasing trickle of information:

Originally Posted by ashill
Alaska's airline partner page now has earning charts for all oneworld members, effective today. They all explicitly say that flights marketed by that airline and operated by any oneworld airline earn according to the marketing airline's chart. That, to me, is one of the bigger benefits of AS joining oneworld; no more operating in a grey area (having to email in boarding passes and only earning miles because AS usually waived their rules when asked in this situation) to earn miles on flights marketed by one AS partner and operated by another (among oneworld partners).

EQMs range from 25% in deepest discount coach on most (JL bottoms out at 30%) oneworld partners to 300% for BA F. However, outside of BA, it looks like the most generous EQM earning in J/F is 200% on most airlines and as low as 125% (IB).
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Except CX and oneworld connect FJ. Both earn on Marketed & Operated flights only, no codeshares.

Earnings will be based on the Marketing Carrier, not the Operating Carrier. If AA is marketing a good J fare on BA metal, you will earn 150% EQM as per the AA charts (flight number starts with AAxxxx) not 150% EQM + 100% Bonus RDM as per the BA charts. (flight number does not start with BAxxxx)

When AS allowed credit upon a manual request when both the Marketing Carrier & the Operating Carrier were AS partners, credit was based on the Operating Carrier.

James
​​​​​​
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. That is OW policy.
Eligible operating carrier can vary. Includes all OW.
But the AA & BA ffp also allow QF marketed(flight number) & EK operated (=code share) as an eligible flight for ff miles earning (and status earning?). No idea if the same for other OW ffp's or AS given EK is an AS ff partner.
No need to speculate or be unsure. From the earning chart:
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Emirates. Codeshare flights marketed by Emirates and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn miles. Ticket has to be on Emirates ticket stock to qualify.
That last one is quite a kicker.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
No need to speculate or be unsure. From the earning chart:
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Emirates. Codeshare flights marketed by Emirates and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn miles. Ticket has to be on Emirates ticket stock to qualify.
That is different from QF marketed EK operated.
I had not looked the detailed AS earning for QF (native & codeshare)
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...artners/qantas
Note it states "For Qantas marketed flights" Not "marketed and operated"

But in details "Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas codeshare flights marketed by Qantas and operated by oneworld member airlines and affiliates. Codeshare flights marketed by Qantas and operated by a carrier that is not a oneworld member airline are not eligible to earn miles."

QF codshares on EK look to be QF8xxx series
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 7, 2021 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:44 pm

While sliding off-topic, here is a non-oneworld datapoint:

The verbage for EK flights to be issued on EK ticket stock has always been a requirement, although I have experience with native EK flight numbers (MAD-DXB-ICN & SEZ-DXB-NRT) marketed by LA and issued on LA ticket stock crediting automatically in Mileage Plan.

James
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:13 pm

That is different from QF marketed EK operated.
I had not looked the detailed AS earning for QF (native & codeshare)
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...artners/qantas
Note it states "For Qantas marketed flights" Not "marketed and operated"

But in details "Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas codeshare flights marketed by Qantas and operated by oneworld member airlines and affiliates. Codeshare flights marketed by Qantas and operated by a carrier that is not a oneworld member airline are not eligible to earn miles."

QF codshares on EK look to be QF8xxx series
Sorry, missed that you were talking about QF*/EK flights. I think the chart is quite clear here as well: it says "for Qantas marketed flights", meaning that it's the marketing carrier that matters (of course, the oneworld standard and different from how pre-oneworld AS handled it). Then the details say which Qantas-marketed flights, and they clearly exclude QF*/EK flights with the oneworld-operated clause.

Now, pre-oneworld AS likely would have granted credit based on the operating carrier even though the rules explicitly said no, based on experience with several partner pairs (BA/AA and DL/AF/KL being my personal experience, the latter obviously dating the experience a bit). That was always a we-know-it-isn't-allowed-by-the-written-rules-but-FlyerTalk-experience-says-it-usually-works thing; in the oneworld era, I think all we know is the it isn't allowed by the written rules part. Given that AS's rules are much more permissive now (it's now possible to get between most major city pairs in the world on flights that earn AS miles by the written rules, which wasn't the case before), it's possible that they'll hold to the written rules more. But we won't know until someone tries! (I'm not about to try, since I haven't flown since 2019 and won't be flying until Canada public health advisories suggest it, which is still several months away.)
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by joachimm
The first leg should earn RDM and EQM if credited to Alaska, right?
Yes, it (BOS-MAD) is a Grupo Iberia (Iberia, Iberia Express and Iberia Regional) flight, so it's indeed a status and award credit eligible revenue flight. Level and Vueling only earn Avios with Iberia Plus and Vueling Club. Level is basically the cheapo brand for flights ex-BCN.

But the AA & BA ffp also allow QF marketed(flight number) & EK operated (=code share) as an eligible flight for ff miles earning (and status earning?). No idea if the same for other OW ffp's or AS given EK is an AS ff partner.
Indeed, all QF flights (ex. most JQ codeshare bookings) earn BAEC Avios and tier points, inc. the EK codeshares. AFAIK, indeed no other OW FFP does offer anything for those QF codeshares. I couldn't find why AAdvantage would earn for those award and status credits for non OW operated QF, but I might have missed some detail.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:02 am

I finally took the time to do a computation of the theoretical AS MVP status credit earnings for all my current, still planned to happen revenue OW bookings for the rest of the calendar year 2021 (since AS MVP uses the calendar year and not any individual membership cycles). It took a while to do the math, since status accrual is different for different booking classes and carriers.

Apparently my AA, AS, AY, BA, IB, JL and UL revenue bookings would net me some 112 887 as AS MVP status mileage in 2021, but as that's without the minimum of six AS flights, I wouldn't make OWE.

So at least for the time being I won't yet do a switch to doing everything with AS MVP in Oneworld. I simply won't make the necessary six AS flights in 2021 with my current bookings and there's not enough time in my itineraries to do the missing legs, e.g. flying up and down the West Coast (well, I probably theoretically could do five legs in one day, if I wast... I mean: use productively one of my days in San Francisco this fall ).

But sure, a possible switch is still on the cards at some point, since AS MVP is among the best OW FFPs and I'm thus happy for AS joining, since it's a viable option for me. AS MVP is great for accruing award credits both inside OW and outside it, while there's ample redemption options as well (I know, maybe availability can be an issue, but that applies to most FFPs). With BAEC I usually do BA shorthaul saver redemptions, BA upgrades (Club World -> First) and partner redemptions (e.g. connecting to status hunting itineraries within Europe in C), but with AS the earnings are better and there's more alternatives outside OW. With BAEC the main advantages are that Avios are basically digital tokens and can be moved to other Avios based FFPs, mainly useful with Iberia Plus, and you can do BA cabin upgrades.

However I'm going to follow what happens with all those non OW AS partnership earnings in the future. I'm still observing the situation and haven't yet changed my FFP strategy. Since I gave up on my plan to do Flying Blue Platinum in tandem with my BAEC based OWE, AS MVP has been my secondary FFP. My biggest obstacle is that Nordic AMEX cardholders no longer have any US carriers as MR transfer partners (AS has never been one), so it's possible I might do AS MVP Gold 75K (OWE) and BAEC Silver (OWS) in tandem, from 2022 onwards. Non AA/AS status in OW is practical for US lounge access. Will see what I do in the long run, now that AS is a member. My now cancelled trip to AK this June-July would've been a tempting reason to switch, since I would've then made way beyond those AS six flights. Well, maybe 2022 then.

Earning top tier status isn't all too hard for me with either BA or AS, since I fly so much anyway and pay for premium cabins most of the time. It's more about the earnings and redemption advantages with my increased travel (well, excl. the pandemic downtime I've had now for over a year). Doing six AS flights per year isn't actually that hard, even based outside the US. It's mainly up to the AS network and fares, since I anyway tend to end up in the US at least once per year.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Apr 8, 2021 at 5:09 am
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Yes, it (BOS-MAD) is a Grupo Iberia (Iberia, Iberia Express and Iberia Regional) flight, so it's indeed a status and award credit eligible revenue flight. Level and Vueling only earn Avios with Iberia Plus and Vueling Club. Level is basically the cheapo brand for flights ex-BCN.
Sorry should have included the city pairs, first leg is BOS-BCN and is branded Level when you search for them on Iberia site. But marketed and operated by Iberia "for Level", IB26XX flight #s, which would seem to fall under AS language for earning eligibility.

I don't really know what this means, I'm guessing Iberia marketing, Iberia crew, but Level plane? Unfortunately the tickets are about 2x as expensive once you click through to iberia.com, so it's not really that great of a deal. Not worth the EQM/RDM given how cheap they are these days and the risk I'd have to fight for them, I'll probably just book a united award and look for close-in *A J award space. OW doesn't have good options on this route (BOS-FCO). Might also status match to DL and take the PE nonstop. May be a moot point of Italy doesn't open up by September.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:38 am

Sorry should have included the city pairs, first leg is BOS-BCN and is branded Level when you search for them on Iberia site. But marketed and operated by Iberia "for Level", IB26XX flight #s, which would seem to fall under AS language for earning eligibility.

I don't really know what this means, I'm guessing Iberia marketing, Iberia crew, but Level plane?
It means it's a Level flight with Level service. The plane and crew are Iberia (added precision: the cabin crew are probably on a Level roster with IB), since Level is only a marketing brand/name. Bookings are made on the Level website (https://www.flylevel.com/), although the Iberia website also, IIRC, allows making a mixed booking with Level included. If you get FFP credit from the Level flight, it would be a mistake and probably a temporary OW migration loophole with AS. The flight number range should exclude them. I personally never do VY or Level, since they're LCC and I get no FFP advantages (well, to be precise: I could earn Avios with VY and transfer those).

OW doesn't have good options on this route (BOS-FCO).
I disagree, while having taken a quick look at revenue ticket prices. I didn't look at redemptions. IB: BOS-MAD-FCO, BA: BOS-LHR-FCO, AA: BOS-gateway-FCO or a mixture (AA, BA and/or IB): BOS-LHR/MAD-FCO. Or travel to NAP, BLQ or MIL for a train connection to Roma Termini (i.e. the central railway station in Rome) with Trenitalia or Italo. BTW: BOS-FCO is with AZ, not DL, unless I'm completely wrong.

Are you sure you want to book a one way ticket?
Mwenenzi likes this.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Apr 8, 2021 at 7:47 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:53 am

It means it's a Level flight with Level service. The plane and crew are Iberia, since Level is only a marketing brand/name. Bookings are made on the Level website (https://www.flylevel.com/), although the Iberia website also, IIRC, allows making a mixed booking with Level included. If you get FFP credit from the Level flight, it would be a mistake and probably a temporary OW migration loophole with AS. The flight number range should exclude them. I personally never do VY or Level, since they're LCC and I get no FFP advantages (well, to be precise: I could earn Avios with VY and transfer those
Why would it be a mistake? The Flight is marketed by IB & has an IBxxxx flight number in the range 0001-9999. As long as the fare class is eligible. The OP would need to confirm that.

Eligible flight numbers
0001 - 9999

To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (IB) must precede the flight number (for example, IB XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

Earn 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.

James
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:29 am

Why would it be a mistake? The Flight is marketed by IB & has an IBxxxx flight number in the range 0001-9999. As long as the fare class is eligible. The OP would need to confirm that.
Well, it's obviously a mistake by AS, which is probably due to the fact that the OW membership is still so new and TATL flights are in these circumstances not yet normalised. I was about to say that Level is currently grounded, but apparently at least BCN-EZE operates now. The folks at AS haven't obviously realised that Level is being run technically as IB26XX, inc. IB2626 BOS-BCN. The Level flights are never marketed as Iberia. The IB flight coding is unfortunately distracting. That's also why at least CX Marco Polo Club seems to be missing a Level clause, since I doubt they were meant to credit anything for Level flights.

To put it clear: Level is not a Oneworld brand/affiliate/member. And no, Wikipedia isn't an authority. There's an obvious mistake there. *makes mental note about redacting the Wikipedia article*

As some examples from other, more established OW members:

IB+: "To be able to offer you such attractive prices, the benefits associated with your Iberia Plus card tier will not be available when you travel with LEVEL."
AAdvantage: "Travel on flights marketed by Iberia and operated by Iberia for LEVEL (IB2600 – IB2699) aren't eligible for AAdvantage mileage accrual. AAdvantage members will earn miles on LEVEL flights marketed as American Airlines codeshare flights." (sidenote: it's pretty standard to earn that way to your own FFP)
BAEC: "Included: Iberia (IB). Excludes flights operated by Level on behalf of Iberia."
S7 Priority: "Please note: Miles cannot be earned on the following flights: IB2600 — IB2699."

AFAIK the only exception with Level is Finnair Plus, outside Grupo Iberia. Haven't really understood why, but yes, you can earn with AY+ on IB26XX and that's explicitly stated.

I can place a bet that the loophole will be a one off or it will be closed before anyone has the opportunity to use it for AS MVP earnings.
ACBLtd likes this.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Apr 8, 2021 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:18 am

I will look closer at itineraries in the fall and test my idea.

James
My idea was to locate another date with a stopover that had Flagship J on the MIA-LAX segment, purchase that itinerary and then see if I could "date" change the MIA-LAX segment to the desired date hoping Flagship J was available.

SJU-MIA is an International flight & AS allows a stopover on International Partner flights at the gateway. However, it appears this route is not eligible for a stopover. Quasi-International.

It does appear to be a married segment issue. When searching on AS with multi-segment and the inability to add a stopover on the route the search is resolved to a simple SJU-LAX one-way. Inventory on the through fare isn't available in Business even though each segment has availability independently.

On 10/16, I am seeing SJU-MIA availability in Y only while AA1454 MIA-LAX does have Business availability on the through fare.

If I look on AA for the same award booked in AAdvantage, the rate is 97.5K miles in all Business which indicates there is no sAAver space on the through fare which would be required for AS to book. The route is, however, also available in an all Business itinerary as an AA Web Special for 22.5K. Of course, that isn't available to book in Mileage Plan.

If 10/16 is your desired date, I would book AA1720 9:19-12:00 blocked at 2:41 in Y. You should get MCE on the strength of the Business award redemption if you don't otherwise have a fee waiver and connect to AA1454 in Business.

I should also point out that a revenue through fare, all Business Itinerary with Flagship, on those same flights is $303, just in case you don't want to redeem miles. It would earn 5072 EQM in MP and up to 8,748 RDM.

At that price, your AS redemption would be 1.11 cpm. If we add in the lost RDM opportunity that would have been earned on a revenue itinerary, the redemption for no status, MVP, MVPG & MVPG75K would 0.92, 0.88, 0.84 & 0.82 cpp. You may want to consider a revenue ticket and save the AS RDM for a better value redemptuon. For comparison, Flagship Business, LAX-MIA is $544 on 10/16. For 25K that redemption is 2.18 cpm; an excellent value.

James
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:38 am

Well, it's obviously a mistake by AS,
How is it obvious? If FI is an exception, why can't AS be an exception too? Level is owned by IAG.

I can place a bet that the loophole will be a one off or it will be closed before anyone has the opportunity to use it for AS MVP earnings.
Is it a loophole? Even if it is a mistake, which isn't obvious, and it is changed, I think AS would still honour the credit based on the information that was relied upon.

Is the IBERIA call sign also incorrect?

James
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
SJU-MIA is an International flight
Between which two nations? The United States and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.