Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I did some further digging too. Brad Tilden said they’re fast tracking and will be in OW. With nobody flying they have nothing else to do but integrate into OW as reported so it will be before years end. Otherwise why make the comment.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I did some further digging too. Brad Tilden said they’re fast tracking and will be in OW. With nobody flying they have nothing else to do but integrate into OW as reported so it will be before years end. Otherwise why make the comment.
Besides try and keep an airline afloat in this pandemic, sure. But yes, tons of free time!

And you're right, Brad's said it, Nat's said it, Rob's said it, so that means it'll absolutely happen by December. Merry Christmas!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
NW, it’s clear it’s in your best interest that AS join OW as soon as possible so you can credit your QR flight to AS. None of us our rooting against you; I’d venture most of us want to see them join as fast possible as much as you.

In our totally unprofessional (some more than others, count me in the more camp), the end of 2020 is rather ambitious.

As to why they’d announce it, there are many reasons why AS in OW would tilt the scales for someone to book on AS metal as opposed to a competitor in early 2021. Personally, I’m flying AA in January to gather tier points for BA, but if AS is in OW of course I’d fly them instead.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Besides try and keep an airline afloat in this pandemic, sure. But yes, tons of free time!

And you're right, Brad's said it, Nat's said it, Rob's said it, so that means it'll absolutely happen by December. Merry Christmas!
See, if you will it enough it’s true! )
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Looks like the DoT has given AA the green light to start SEA-PVG in March. Will be interesting to see if the route can support all three of AA, DL, and HU.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Looks like the DoT has given AA the green light to start SEA-PVG in March. Will be interesting to see if the route can support all three of AA, DL, and HU.
Probably HU would be the first to blink. DL will keep that around as long as they have a trans-pac hub at SEA.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Chugach
Probably HU would be the first to blink. DL will keep that around as long as they have a trans-pac hub at SEA.
You'd think that with three large international US airlines and three large West Coast airports (LAX, SFO, SEA) they could figure this out. Maybe Delta sees AA and UA shrinking at LAX and goes all in there?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by Chugach
If HU were to stop flying SEA-PVG, I wonder if they’d keep competing with DL on SEA-PEK or pull out completely? I’ve read that they’re in some financial trouble (who isn’t), but I’m not sure how bad it is.

Originally Posted by PDXpress
You'd think that with three large international US airlines and three large West Coast airports (LAX, SFO, SEA) they could figure this out. Maybe Delta sees AA and UA shrinking at LAX and goes all in there?
DL already flies LAX-PVG, but aren’t yields trash at LAX because of the Chinese carriers? I feel like DL going all in at LAX would essentially admit defeat in SEA.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Maybe Delta sees AA and UA shrinking at LAX and goes all in there?
No, because:

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
aren’t yields trash at LAX
Yes, indeed, which is why AA is skedaddling and letting AS's lower costs handle those lower yields. DL going there and abandoning similar routes out of SEA would be a self-own.

The thing is EVERYONE is going to be taking it on the chin for international ex-USA for a while. Tourism or customer visits to the world's richest leper colony don't sell well, oddly enough, and this isn't going to be a V-shaped recovery- so businesses will adjust travel budgets accordingly. I won't be shocked if SEA is down to a small handful of longhaul international hubs for a lot of 2021: something like LHR, AMS, FRA, NRT, ICN, TPE. It'll be a good question how willing AA and DL are willing to set money on fire for PVG...
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, indeed, which is why AA is skedaddling and letting AS's lower costs handle those lower yields.
Agree with everything you say except a quibble here: AS isn't backfilling the international long haul out of LAX that AA is abandoning. AA is moving some LAX-Asia routes to SEA, others to DFW, and abandoning others. If AA had a geographically sensible hub with local demand and not overwhelming competition of their own, they'd use it, but they don't; SEA using the AS feed is the next best option. I don't think it's so much about AS's lower costs as the fact that AA can use AS to feed a more geographically sensible Asia hub that wasn't a total bloodbath given supply relative to demand from, say, 2016 to 2019 (ie recently but pre-COVID).
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
Agree with everything you say except a quibble here: AS isn't backfilling the international long haul out of LAX that AA is abandoning. AA is moving some LAX-Asia routes to SEA, others to DFW, and abandoning others. If AA had a geographically sensible hub with local demand and not overwhelming competition of their own, they'd use it, but they don't; SEA using the AS feed is the next best option. I don't think it's so much about AS's lower costs as the fact that AA can use AS to feed a more geographically sensible Asia hub that wasn't a total bloodbath given supply relative to demand from, say, 2016 to 2019 (ie recently but pre-COVID).
AA is leaving LAX as a hub and focusing on O/D because LAX has trash yields for them, save for some select routes (some of it might work for AS though). They’re going to try SEA because they won’t have to invest in a bunch of domestic service that would do to SEA what AA/AS/DL/NK/UA/WN (and soon B6) do to LAX, trash yields via a competitive market.

I’m not convinced AA’s SEA strategy will work (I think DL is capable of outlasting them, has a better operation and product, and this is literally the worst time in history to try this), but if it gets AS into OW, it’ll be “no backsies” unless someone buys them.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
So here is a question for everyone, after cancelling two trips due to the virus I am now looking to book Europe this coming summer with points, looking at the schedules/availability BA is still showing 747 let alone existing old schedules that coupled with the entry into OW coming I am not sure booking is a such good idea until OW happens. Then there are the schedules who knows what the real schedules are going to be. I would say EK might be a safe bet at this point for any point redemption. On EK if you have status with Marriott you get some cross benefits with EK now,.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
So here is a question for everyone, after cancelling two trips due to the virus I am now looking to book Europe this coming summer with points, looking at the schedules/availability BA is still showing 747 let alone existing old schedules that coupled with the entry into OW coming I am not sure booking is a such good idea until OW happens. Then there are the schedules who knows what the real schedules are going to be. I would say EK might be a safe bet at this point for any point redemption. On EK if you have status with Marriott you get some cross benefits with EK now,.
I'm not sure how AS entering OW has any relevance on a BA or EK award booking for next Summer?

Of course the 747 is gone, that's a given, but with either of those choices you may as well consider the award booking a placeholder at this point. Any booking is going to have numerous schedule changes between now and then, but there's nothing wrong with booking something as you'll then be rebooked on whatever the new schedule/equipment is at the time.
Mwenenzi and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm not sure how AS entering OW has any relevance on a BA or EK award booking for next Summer?

Of course the 747 is gone, that's a given, but with either of those choices you may as well consider the award booking a placeholder at this point. Any booking is going to have numerous schedule changes between now and then, but there's nothing wrong with booking something as you'll then be rebooked on whatever the new schedule/equipment is at the time.
There is a difference if AS in fully in OW then if I were to book BA and given my status I would not be subjected to those seat selection fees which can be high unless of course one doesn't care about them. Then too is maybe juts maybe more availability might be there as well with AA et al. As for EK was only a passing comment regarding booking a reward seat knowing that the aircraft type will be constant. In all these years booking then rebooking always has its pitfalls. For me will wait until we are well into the fall end of year. And no one ones what travel will look like next year either.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
There is a difference if AS in fully in OW then if I were to book BA and given my status I would not be subjected to those seat selection fees which can be high unless of course one doesn't care about them. Then too is maybe juts maybe more availability might be there as well with AA et al. As for EK was only a passing comment regarding booking a reward seat knowing that the aircraft type will be constant. In all these years booking then rebooking always has its pitfalls. For me will wait until we are well into the fall end of year. And no one ones what travel will look like next year either.
I understand your reasoning re: seat assignments on BA, but given your dates of travel, the most important thing is confirming award space, not seat assignments, especially given an almost guaranteed change of equipment.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.