Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I wonder if 75Ks can get new luggage tags that show OWE. I know it’s shown on the AA Exec Plat ones. Anyone have any insight? I might write in if not.
AFAIK They stopped mailing anything out due to the pandemic.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by anteater
AFAIK They stopped mailing anything out due to the pandemic.
This was the case for a while, but they have certainly been sending them out in the past month, Again, I don’t know if it’s only by request or not.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
And if things weren't confusing enough, AA announced a "temporary" policy change (which I believe goes into effect today) that Admirals Club (not Flagship Lounge) access will be given to all AA and AS OW Sapphires and Elites who are travelling from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean on AA or any other OW airline. But once again, down at the footnotes section, it states that AS operated flights are excluded. Which contradicts the "any OW airline" highlight up-page. However, it may be that page hasn't been updated yet, and was done when AS technically wasn't a OW member airline. Who knows.
And the funny thing is that Central America is a region, all of which is on the North American Continent. In 2019, I flew YVR-DFW-MIA-PTY in J and had FL access in both DFW & MIA. One the return, I had no access because my destination was Canada.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
And in an interesting twist (because I later went to the webpage about EXP benefits trying to figure out the issue with FL access when flying to Central America), I learned that we now get first class upgrades on AS flights. Apparently, we have the same upgrade window as AS MVPG75s; but our upgrades get processed after theirs do. Also, the other AA elites do not have first upgrade access yet, but it stated that upgrades will be coming online soon for them. Every AA elite has Premium Class seat acces now. EXPs follow MVPG75's window; PlatPro and Plats follow MVPG's window, and Golds follow MVP's window.
Only MVPG75K can select Premium at the time of booking on any non-Saver fare (including Main cabin awards. MVPG & MVP can also select at booking if they purchase an eligible fare for their tier. All Premium seats have a fee associated to them. That fee is waived for all Elites at booking on eligible fares. For ineligible fares, the fee is waived at their window. I wonder if AA Elites will only be eligible at the windows or if they can select Premium at booking on higher fares.

For me, I don't see a lot of utility in being able to choose MCE on AA nor the potential of upgrades unless it is a sub 500 mile flight. Why would I fly a dicount AA flight and earn 25%-50% EQM so I can sit in MCE and maybe get an upgrade. When I fly AA I am usually in J/F/P anyway. Upgrades require that the flight be marketed & operated by AA so AS codeshares won't be eligible but at least you earn 100% EQM. MCE in this case is a benefit but one I will rarely use.

There also isn't a lot of arbitrage, if any, for AA Elites flyng AS in Main. Sure the Premium seat and the opportunity for an upgrade is nice but an O or G fare class transcon will only earn about 1,250 EQM & $125 EQD. A sub 500 mile flight, 250 EQM & $25 EQD. I am not sure AA Elites will be lining up for those, but more AA Elites will purchase AS F outright with the added oneworld benfits and AL access too.

James
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
And the funny thing is that Central America is a region, all of which is on the North American Continent. In 2019, I flew YVR-DFW-MIA-PTY in J and had FL access in both DFW & MIA. One the return, I had no access because my destination was Canada.
OK. So your past experience shows that FL access was a thing for Central America. Because passenger access to the lounge is the same for J/F passengers as it is for AA Sapphires and Emeralds. I believe without the status they cannot bring in a guest unless they are in actual intl first. But it's odd that you didn't have access on the return. Because if it were GRU-MIA-DFW-YVR, you'd have access to the FL at MIA and DFW, as far as I know. You'd definitely have access to the Admirals Club at those locations.

Only MVPG75K can select Premium at the time of booking on any non-Saver fare (including Main cabin awards. MVPG & MVP can also select at booking if they purchase an eligible fare for their tier. All Premium seats have a fee associated to them. That fee is waived for all Elites at booking on eligible fares. For ineligible fares, the fee is waived at their window. I wonder if AA Elites will only be eligible at the windows or if they can select Premium at booking on higher fares.
James
It is the same fare allowance/fare restriction/upgrade window for AA elites as it is for the corresponding AS elites. In fact, it is better for AA Golds on AS flights than it is on AA flights. And I think the benefit for an AS flyer to choose AA over AS on discounted fares is primarily when AS really isn't an opition (like AUS-CHS for example).

Last edited by Fanjet; Apr 1, 2021 at 11:34 pm
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:01 am

...There also isn't a lot of arbitrage, if any, for AA Elites flyng AS in Main. Sure the Premium seat and the opportunity for an upgrade is nice but an O or G fare class transcon will only earn about 1,250 EQM & $125 EQD. A sub 500 mile flight, 250 EQM & $25 EQD. I am not sure AA Elites will be lining up for those, but more AA Elites will purchase AS F outright with the added oneworld benfits and AL access too.

James
Respectfully disagree about AA arbitrage opportunities in main. Random weekend in April going SFO-FLL roundtrip in main:
AA Non-stop gets you about $220 EQD. $5 more, Alaska (via LAX) gets you a minimum of $530 and as much as $1,060 in EQD.

100% agree on AS F. That is a big arbitrage opportunity for the right flights for AA flyers on Alaska. (I expect that to close at somepoint in the next year.)

100% agree on Alaska flyers having much fewer if any, opportunities.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Pretty strong statement about AA long haul Int'l offerings. Some of the best hardware available, and decent F&B. Once Flagship Lounges re-open, they are pretty decent for OWS and biz flyers. I mean, if you are in champagne .
The last 777-200 DFW to London up front was dismal. I would put BA's f&b ahead of AA and thats pretty bad. The last other flights on AA were somewhat disappointing as well. In my 30+ years of international travel business and pleasure I have consistently found that US metal lacks in service and hardware. Now having said that Delta has made great strides in cleaning up their planes and offering some pretty damn good service but their crews have a much better attitude than AA, mainly due to their CEO Parker needs to go he spent year s begging other carriers to merge and now he has AA and is running it like he did AmericaWest. When I am spending corporate funds on airfare I want a decent return and AA does not supply that, period. Champagne if I want champagne I can go to the store and buy it.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Respectfully disagree about AA arbitrage opportunities in main. Random weekend in April going SFO-FLL roundtrip in main:
AA Non-stop gets you about $220 EQD. $5 more, Alaska (via LAX) gets you a minimum of $530 and as much as $1,060 in EQD.

100% agree on AS F. That is a big arbitrage opportunity for the right flights for AA flyers on Alaska. (I expect that to close at somepoint in the next year.)

100% agree on Alaska flyers having much fewer if any, opportunities.
Really? What fare class on AS is $5 more than AA? Can you provide the specific flights & fare class you used for comparison to arrive at $530 - $1060 in EQD?

SFO-LAX-FLL is 500(337) + 2342 = 2842 miles
FLL-LAX-SEA is 500(337) + 2342 = 2842 miles
Return Trip 5684 miles.

G & O class on AS earns 5% of distance as EQD in AAdvantage. 5684 × .05 = $284.20

James
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
The last 777-200 DFW to London up front was dismal. I would put BA's f&b ahead of AA and thats pretty bad. The last other flights on AA were somewhat disappointing as well. In my 30+ years of international travel business and pleasure I have consistently found that US metal lacks in service and hardware. Now having said that Delta has made great strides in cleaning up their planes and offering some pretty damn good service but their crews have a much better attitude than AA, mainly due to their CEO Parker needs to go he spent year s begging other carriers to merge and now he has AA and is running it like he did AmericaWest. When I am spending corporate funds on airfare I want a decent return and AA does not supply that, period. Champagne if I want champagne I can go to the store and buy it.
I have no doubt that on occasion one can have a bad experience, on any airline, so not unique to AA IMHO. I have flown AA Long Haul Biz more times than I can remember, as well as BA. F on BA is far superior, but as for Biz, they are pretty equivalent to me. Now if we start comparing AA to some of the OW Asian partners, then it's not competitive for the most part.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:48 am

Really? What fare class on AS is $5 more than AA? Can you provide the specific flights & fare class you used for comparison to arrive at $530 - $1060 in EQD?

SFO-LAX-FLL is 500(337) + 2342 = 2842 miles
FLL-LAX-SEA is 500(337) + 2342 = 2842 miles
Return Trip 5684 miles.

G & O class on AS earns 5% of distance as EQD in AAdvantage. 5684 × .05 = $284.20

James
I did miss the lowest tier on the AA chart at 5%, but, even in your worst-case scenario it still provides a benefit for AA members to choose Alaska over AA. It is not always going to work, but there will be opportunities. And AA will not always be the cheaper option so Alaska will be the cheaper option and provide more EQDs.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
I did miss the lowest tier on the AA chart at 5%, but, even in your worst-case scenario it still provides a benefit for AA members to choose Alaska over AA. It is not always going to work, but there will be opportunities. And AA will not always be the cheaper option so Alaska will be the cheaper option and provide more EQDs.
I agree, but without the possibility of significant arbitrage, I don't see a lot of flyers opting for a connection over a non-stop. If they are doing MRs, purchasing F outright would likely be the preferred way to go which is great for AS but not as good for Elites hoping for an upgrade.

James
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I have no doubt that on occasion one can have a bad experience, on any airline, so not unique to AA IMHO. I have flown AA Long Haul Biz more times than I can remember, as well as BA. F on BA is far superior, but as for Biz, they are pretty equivalent to me. Now if we start comparing AA to some of the OW Asian partners, then it's not competitive for the most part.
I agree as well. Funny I think AF has one off the best FC experience going, particularly the transferring at CDG. Nice not having to not even walk into the terminal if you don't want to and deplane/board via stairways !! Always a treat.
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:22 pm

Anyone know if AA award flights can by upgraded for AS 75K members?
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Totally a YMMV take. I’ve been EP on AA for 6 years. I’ve seen AA’s hard and soft product improve drastically in that time. I’ve flown DL in Intl. J once during the same time frame and found that the entire experience customer service wise, felt like they thought I should thank them for accepting my business. I personally enjoy flying AA, I especially enjoy the OW airlines and the Emerald perks that I receive. DL? *A? I just do not see the same value as AA & OW - that’s my YMMV story.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Tack
Totally a YMMV take. I’ve been EP on AA for 6 years. I’ve seen AA’s hard and soft product improve drastically in that time. I’ve flown DL in Intl. J once during the same time frame and found that the entire experience customer service wise, felt like they thought I should thank them for accepting my business. I personally enjoy flying AA, I especially enjoy the OW airlines and the Emerald perks that I receive. DL? *A? I just do not see the same value as AA & OW - that’s my YMMV story.
I have a good friend that hits 150K a year on now AA former US Air he lives in Philly and he thinks like you service is improving just not as robust as you have found. What will be interesting to see is "post Covid" airline service.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Will we finally be able to book First/Bus international award flights on AA now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.