Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Doubt I'll be there in time, but I'm departing SFO in I-class on Friday. No memberships. Do I have access to any lounge?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Doubt I'll be there in time, but I'm departing SFO in I-class on Friday. No memberships. Do I have access to any lounge?
Sadly, access for paid first class fares is only to Alaska Lounge locations, not partner lounges. No SFO lounge access on paid first fares until AS opens their SFO lounge, which I believe is sometime this year if no delays.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by seacarl
If there are 2 pax on a reservation, one 75K and one MVPG, is the reservation treated as 75K or MVPG for upgrade purposes?

Also, to get an instant upgrade, (should elusive U space be found) do you need the 75K upgrade fare or the MVPG upgrade fare?
It's treated as 75K for upgrades. After the last upgrade changes several years ago, I seem to recall that elite members appeared on the visible upgrade list at their own status, but were actually/supposed to be underneath the highest status traveler. I can't remember if that was fixed or not.

For instant upgrades, only need the 75K level (H or higher). However you can still choose the MVPG level (M or higher) when doing an instant upgrade as a 75K. Depending on the price difference, it might be worth the cost for CoS bonus.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

For instant upgrades, only need the 75K level (H or higher). However you can still choose the MVPG level (M or higher) when doing an instant upgrade as a 75K. Depending on the price difference, it might be worth the cost for CoS bonus.
Correct for an instant upgrade without a GGU. An MVP is also eligible on Y & S class fares. The OP was asking about using GGUs for instant upgrades with U availability. K class fares are the lowest fares that a GGU can be applied to for an instant upgrade.

The cheapest fare that is available for an instant upgrade (it could be higher than K if the K class bucket is already sold out) will be shown by selecting the Gold Guest Upgrade option in the upgrade type drop down list on the primary search or selecting the Gold Guest Upgrade radio button on the left side of the search results. GGUs are not tied to Elite Status (for application) and can be used by anyone with GGU codes. There would need to be 2 U seats available and 2 GGUs required to upgrade both passengers.

James
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:22 pm

I looking at taking advantage of the award sale on flights via Fiji Airways and am trying to book an additional separate one way within the Oceania region on Fiji that takes me from one of the smaller non-Fiji countries they service to another one. I can find availability for both segments, but when I try to book as one flight the Alaska site comes back with no availability.

For example, I am looking at a flight from Nuku'Alofa, Tonga to Port Vila, Vanuatu on August 22nd. I can find availability from Nuku to Nadi and from Nadi to Port Vila and there is only an 8 hour layover in Nadi, but it won't show any availability for Nuku to Port Vila on a single ticket. When I try to do the same with other destinations (Tarawa, Apia, Honaria, Kirimati) that have availability I get the same issue where availability will show on separate legs, but not on a combined ticket.

Is there something I'm missing with Alaska's routing rules that prevent me from doing this? Or would I be able to book if I called in?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:37 am

If I have MVP status and book a fare that qualifies for Premium Class on booking, does that apply to a companion? If I book with someone else, would only I be able to book a better seat, or neither? Also, as a matter of course, would we be able to both book preferred seats, e.g. exit row?

I ask because I'm Gold now but foresee falling to MVP, and know that MVP does not give upgrades to companions.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
If I have MVP status and book a fare that qualifies for Premium Class on booking, does that apply to a companion? If I book with someone else, would only I be able to book a better seat, or neither? Also, as a matter of course, would we be able to both book preferred seats, e.g. exit row?

I ask because I'm Gold now but foresee falling to MVP, and know that MVP does not give upgrades to companions.
That's correct for both First and Premium upgrades, no companion upgrades regardless of the fare class purchased. You can either buy Premium seats for both, or split the reservation and buy it only for the non-status companion.

You can select Preferred seating for you and your companion if they're on the same reservation.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
If I have MVP status and book a fare that qualifies for Premium Class on booking, does that apply to a companion?

For an MVP traveling on a single PNR, the lowest fare class that would qualify for an immediate upgrade to Premium would be B class (Y, Z*, S or B)

Unless you were looking for a fare class with a Class of Service bonus (COS), the fare difference between between a discounted main fare and B class or higher would be more than the cost of purchasing a Premium Seat upgrade at booking.

James
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
What is the best way to earn AS miles through CC spend? I have the old SPG card and since the transition to Marriot Bonvoy card the conversion ratio decreased to 1 mile for every $1.2 spent and I am looking for alternatives that give better rate with some ability to transfer to other airlines. Appreciate your suggestions.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ikonos
What is the best way to earn AS miles through CC spend? I have the old SPG card and since the transition to Marriot Bonvoy card the conversion ratio decreased to 1 mile for every $1.2 spent and I am looking for alternatives that give better rate with some ability to transfer to other airlines. Appreciate your suggestions.
There aren't a lot of great options left other than the Alaska Airlines Visa (personal or business). But, that's not earning great returns, even on AS purchases (3x versus say 5x on Amex Plat or Citi Prestige). There really aren't any alternatives that can also transfer to other airlines other than the Marriott card. The best way to earn AS miles continues to be flying AS.
notquiteaff, pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If I book a trip for my wife from my AS account and her ticket has her MP number attached (so AS knows who she is), why does the trip not automatically appear in her “My Trips” list when she logs in? Or in her mobile app?

(perhaps so I can surprise her with a trip as a gift? Seems odd, though)
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:57 am

what does the app 'your flight is now boarding' mean?

'Your flight is now boarding' used to be accurate, but now it pops up and there is no boarding. Does it just go off at some set time, some GA pushes a button?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
My 75K welcome packet came in the mail today. It has a description of the benefits and two personalized luggage tags, but no Mileage Plan card. The envelope was also torn. Should there be a new mileage plan card in there and mine is lost? Or is the card only in the app now?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
'Your flight is now boarding' used to be accurate, but now it pops up and there is no boarding. Does it just go off at some set time, some GA pushes a button?
I've definitely had boarding notification pop up correctly (even when boarding started late or early), but I've rarely had it pop up early or late. I don't think it's automatic.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bellerina
I've definitely had boarding notification pop up correctly (even when boarding started late or early), but I've rarely had it pop up early or late. I don't think it's automatic.
I think there's a trigger from something the GA's do to start the boarding process for preboarding. In a smaller QX station like EUG, where the GA has a number of hats and isn't at the podium the entire time, it shows up shortly after they've come back to the podium and start typing, but before they take preboards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.