Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by am1108
My flight actually changed earlier today and the agent quickly fulfilled my request. I was expecting her to try to deny the refund but she was pleasant the whole time. Although I didn't have to quote any rules, etc. Thanks for the info!
If you have a segment cancellation or a significant change to your itinerary and what is offered is not acceptable, simply be direct; tell them you need to cancel the reservation and you would like a refund. Don't feel like you need to go in fighting.

James
am1108 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you have a segment cancellation or a significant change to your itinerary and what is offered is not acceptable, simply be direct; tell them you need to cancel the reservation and you would like a refund. Don't feel like you need to go in fighting.
Yes indeed, and I should apologize to the OP if my answer made it sound like it's necessary to do so. My intent was to offer up what Alaska's stated policy is as a baseline. Alaska, IMO, has been flexible in working with customers throughout often in excess of what their stated policy was. Very different than some other carriers that have changed their longstanding policies to not in their customers' favor (but perhaps somewhat understandable under the circumstances).
am1108 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I have an April transcon that I need to cancel (due to COVID-19). It is a two-person round-trip itinerary, booked with a companion fare code. I am MVP Gold, but companion has no status.

I'm likely planning (hoping) to take the same trip in July.

Is there a way to self-serve this change online, or do I need to call in?

Last edited by twitch76; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by twitch76
I have an April transcon that I need to cancel (due to COVID-19). It is a two-person round-trip itinerary, booked with a companion fare code. I am MVP Gold, but companion has no status.

I'm likely planning (hoping) to take the same trip in July.

Is there a way to self-serve this change online, or do I need to call in?
NVM. Did it over chat, no problem. Credit in My Wallet. Companion Fare code redeposited.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by beckoa
I didn't get an email either when I canceled by phone last week. $ hasn't posted yet, but not worried.
got it a few days later!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond

James
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes indeed, and I should apologize to the OP if my answer made it sound like it's necessary to do so. My intent was to offer up what Alaska's stated policy is as a baseline. Alaska, IMO, has been flexible in working with customers throughout often in excess of what their stated policy was. Very different than some other carriers that have changed their longstanding policies to not in their customers' favor (but perhaps somewhat understandable under the circumstances).
Thanks, Although I know I was not supposed to go in guns ablazing , I was preparing for the agent to try and deny a refund although it seemed she already knew that I was seeking one. Just reading about the hoops that other airlines are making customers jump through and my past experiences with agents over the years not knowing airline policy I was already expecting pushback. I'm glad I booked Alaska and glad that they are fair even through this difficult time.

rustykettel That's Ok, With your post I didn't feel that I needed to fight, but glad for the info in case I needed to try to wiggle out.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by am1108
Thanks, Although I know I was not supposed to go in guns ablazing , I was preparing for the agent to try and deny a refund although it seemed she already knew that I was seeking one. Just reading about the hoops that other airlines are making customers jump through and my past experiences with agents over the years not knowing airline policy I was already expecting pushback. I'm glad I booked Alaska and glad that they are fair even through this difficult time.
Happy it worked out for you. The agents may offer a wallet credit and that will be appropriate and acceptable to some. If you call in for a cancelled flight or an unacceptable rebook, initiaing the conversation with "my xxx flight was cancelled/rebooked and I would like to refund the reservation" puts both parties on the same page and AS has lost the opportunity to offer anything different.

James
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Two questions to experts:

1) is it possible to earn AS miles on SQ operated and coded flights booked with a ticket on LH stock?

2) is it possible to earn AS miles on SQ operated but LX coded flights booked with with a ticket on LX stock?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Two questions to experts:

1) is it possible to earn AS miles on SQ operated and coded flights booked with a ticket on LH stock?

2) is it possible to earn AS miles on SQ operated but LX coded flights booked with with a ticket on LX stock?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
No it is not possible; as per the AS T&Cs, flights must be marketed & operated by SQ. Codeshare flights are not eligible to earn in Mileage Plan.

Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Singapore Airlines. Codeshare flights marketed by Singapore Airlines and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn miles.Singapore Airlines award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles or elite qualifying miles or segments.

Eligible flight numbers

001–0699
0800–0999

James
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
No it is not possible; as per the AS T&Cs, flights must be marketed & operated by SQ. Codeshare flights are not eligible to earn in Mileage Plan.

Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Singapore Airlines. Codeshare flights marketed by Singapore Airlines and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn miles.Singapore Airlines award flights booked into the fare classes above are not eligible to earn miles or elite qualifying miles or segments.

Eligible flight numbers

001–0699
0800–0999

James
So not even an SQ-coded flight on LH ticket would work? I know that AS makes exceptions to their complex accural rules sometimes, anyone have direct experience ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
So not even an SQ-coded flight on LH ticket would work? I know that AS makes exceptions to their complex accural rules sometimes, anyone have direct experience ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
AS has allowed credit to Mileage Plan upon a manual request if both the operating carrier and the marketing carrier are both AS partners. New verbage in the details with AA suggest the unofficial practise is officially over.

Since LH isn't an AS partner it will undoubtedly not credit to MP even if the SQ flight has a native flight number within the acceptable flight ranges.

I have experience is getting credit automatically for native KE, QF, EK & CX flights on LA ticket stock which, of course, is also an AS Partner. I do believe there are a few one-off datapoints but I wouldn't hold out any hope that yours may be one of them. If you are prepared not to accrue in Mileage Plan, then give it a shot. It will be a very long-shot at best.

James
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
1) Are travel certificates tied to the specific pax? If I book flights for my wife and I under current AS cancel/change policy and need to cancel, can I use the value of mine and my wife's to book a flight?

2) Am I limited to using the travel certs on AS metal only, or can I use them on AS partner flights?
Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by elsenor
1) Are travel certificates tied to the specific pax? If I book flights for my wife and I under current AS cancel/change policy and need to cancel, can I use the value of mine and my wife's to book a flight?

2) Am I limited to using the travel certs on AS metal only, or can I use them on AS partner flights?
Thank you in advance.
1) If you have a cancellation, a change of 60 minutes or more either way or a reroute initiated by AS, you are eligible for a refund to the original form of payment. In a case where the itinerary is still operating and you want to cancel under the waiver, the value of the ticket(s) will be deposited into the My Account Wallet for later use. If you booked the tickets and your wife is on the same itinerary, the value for both tickets would go into your wallet. If they were purchased separately, one in each account then the wallet funds would reflect in both accounts proportionately. That value can be used toward ticket purchases later either for yourself, your wife, both or even a third party.

2) Yes, AS only.

James
elsenor likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Hello guys, couple of questions:

I hit MVP status back in November; does that mean I will be MVP from the day I qualified + 365 days? Or is it the day I qualify (plus the remainder of 2019) and the rest of the 2020 calendar year ?

2. I have a flight on AY in September which will earn me around 21k EQMs, is it possible to 'delay' crediting them? I'm thinking about crediting them to AS next year when they join Oneworld. Is it just a simple retro credit ?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Granite64
Hello guys, couple of questions:

I hit MVP status back in November; does that mean I will be MVP from the day I qualified + 365 days? Or is it the day I qualify (plus the remainder of 2019) and the rest of the 2020 calendar year ?

2. I have a flight on AY in September which will earn me around 21k EQMs, is it possible to 'delay' crediting them? I'm thinking about crediting them to AS next year when they join Oneworld. Is it just a simple retro credit ?

Thanks!
1. The latter - rest of 2020, and now rest of 2021 with AS status extension.
2. No way to delay - crediting is based on date of flight for qualification purposes. You could always request later, but they'd still count based on flight date not by when they were credited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.