Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by mrefkyk
I'm trying to book a JL F + AS ticket, however the flight combinations listed in the search result are not suitable for my preference (business+first class all the way).

Option 1: flight to NRT in J, NRT-US in F, EWR-SEA in economy (9AM flight)
Option 2: flight to NRT in J, NRT-US in J, EWR/JFK-SEA in first (both 7AM flights)
Option 3: flight to NRT in Y, NRT-US in F, EWR/JFK-SEA in first (both 7AM flights)

If a post-booking call is required, which option should I choose for the flight to NRT in J, NRT-US in F, NYC-SEA in first? Tried chatting with an AS agent but they informed me that what they can see is the same with the website.
Flight to NRT is from somewhere in Asia? All the NRT-US are on the same flight but different classes? Then I would book option #1 and call to have AS switch to First from EWR/JFK to SEA.

When the agents say they can only see what is on the website that may be true and they may have little to no flexibility with partner award segments but they have the power to override for AS segments. If you can get the partner segments in the classes you want and show them an itinerary with the AS flight you have booked in Y has a First award available on the website (as a combo or separately so long as it is a saver award) they should be able to fix up the AS flight segment and put you in F on AS. JAL segments are tied to restrictions from JAL. AS segments are tied to restrctions from AS and AS can override to fix their segments if you can show them there is a problem.

It the NRT-US flights are different for your options which causes you to need different AS flights to SEA then probably you are hitting different AS availability for different flights which is completely expected.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Flight to NRT is from somewhere in Asia? All the NRT-US are on the same flight but different classes? Then I would book option #1 and call to have AS switch to First from EWR/JFK to SEA.

When the agents say they can only see what is on the website that may be true and they may have little to no flexibility with partner award segments but they have the power to override for AS segments. If you can get the partner segments in the classes you want and show them an itinerary with the AS flight you have booked in Y has a First award available on the website (as a combo or separately so long as it is a saver award) they should be able to fix up the AS flight segment and put you in F on AS. JAL segments are tied to restrictions from JAL. AS segments are tied to restrctions from AS and AS can override to fix their segments if you can show them there is a problem.

It the NRT-US flights are different for your options which causes you to need different AS flights to SEA then probably you are hitting different AS availability for different flights which is completely expected.
Wonderful! I proceeded to book option 1 via website and called AS to change the AS flight. Very straightforward process by the partner award team. Thanks for your advice!

To answer your questions: yes it's from Asia and all 3 options are on the same JL flights (Asia-NRT-US).
tobikosan and skimthetrees like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
For a passenger with no AS/OW status, with a biz award on JL, is T-24 still the earliest chance to reserve a window seat?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
OK so looks like I am stuck. Booked DEL-HND (11/1) and HND-SFO (11/4) without knowing the Covid ban. Looks like no way to get out of the airport in Handea/Japan if travelling from India. Now I see zero flights DEL-HND for whole of November. I know this is a glitch because if I put in DEL-HKG I see flights on Nov 3 (DEL-HND-HKG i.e. reaching Haneda 11/4 for an evening connection to SFO). Finding it very difficult to explain specialty desk to check with JAL or somehow give me that change. Any way to do this without cancelling the whole deal and going back to the drawing board? Have a nice Biz to F itinerary there.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
OK so looks like I am stuck. Booked DEL-HND (11/1) and HND-SFO (11/4) without knowing the Covid ban. Looks like no way to get out of the airport in Handea/Japan if travelling from India. Now I see zero flights DEL-HND for whole of November. I know this is a glitch because if I put in DEL-HKG I see flights on Nov 3 (DEL-HND-HKG i.e. reaching Haneda 11/4 for an evening connection to SFO). Finding it very difficult to explain specialty desk to check with JAL or somehow give me that change. Any way to do this without cancelling the whole deal and going back to the drawing board? Have a nice Biz to F itinerary there.
The “glitch” might be married segment logic.
FT-hss likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by HariOm;[url=tel:33561847
33561847[/url]]For a passenger with no AS/OW status, with a biz award on JL, is T-24 still the earliest chance to reserve a window seat?
Well, according to JL customer service, yes it is.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:30 pm

HariOm is right, this is married segment logic. There is availability around that time DEL-SFO via DEL-HND-LAX-SFO in Biz but if you want to keep F you are going to have to try calling AS. Since DEL-HND is available in Business on 11/3 as a married segment a good agent should be able to change the date of your 11/1 DEL-HND to 11/3 and get it to confirm as a married segment to your existing 11/4 HND-SFO. You may have to call back a few times to get an agent that can handle it but I think it should be possible.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:57 am

HariOm is right, this is married segment logic. There is availability around that time DEL-SFO via DEL-HND-LAX-SFO in Biz but if you want to keep F you are going to have to try calling AS. Since DEL-HND is available in Business on 11/3 as a married segment a good agent should be able to change the date of your 11/1 DEL-HND to 11/3 and get it to confirm as a married segment to your existing 11/4 HND-SFO. You may have to call back a few times to get an agent that can handle it but I think it should be possible.
Thanks for the ray of hope skimthetrees Will keep trying.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:04 am

Thanks for the ray of hope skimthetrees Will keep trying.
Try calling the partner desk during business hours. IIRC someone posted the number in the Cathay Pacific thread recently.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:11 am

Try calling the partner desk during business hours. IIRC someone posted the number in the Cathay Pacific thread recently.
Unbelievable.. That worked. Took some time. They did some jugglery there.. but ended up moving the Nov1 to Nov3 in Biz without touching F from TYO-SFO-LAX. Thanks for the tip skimthetrees!
tobikosan and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Are all the NRT-CTS flights limited to married segments? Or is this just a case of them being able to easily sell those seats? The flights are on the JL schedule, but they're never available through AS.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:40 pm

Unbelievable.. That worked. Took some time. They did some jugglery there.. but ended up moving the Nov1 to Nov3 in Biz without touching F from TYO-SFO-LAX. Thanks for the tip skimthetrees!
Cool! So glad it worked out! Enjoy F!
FT-hss likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Are all the NRT-CTS flights limited to married segments? Or is this just a case of them being able to easily sell those seats? The flights are on the JL schedule, but they're never available through AS.
Depends. What date? Currently I do not see it operating. There is a schedule for one flight a day from late October but JAL does not even appear to be selling seats on the flight until end of March next year so before then it is not looking good.

Edit:
Most JAL flights to CTS go HND-CTS. You will have more JAL options through HND.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Sep 16, 2021 at 9:52 pm
Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Depends. What date? Currently I do not see it operating. There is a schedule for one flight a day from late October but JAL does not even appear to be selling seats on the flight until end of March next year so before then it is not looking good.

Edit:
Most JAL flights to CTS go HND-CTS. You will have more JAL options through HND.
I've booked something for my son to get him to CTS on 12/24. I currently have something for him through KIX with an overnight at KIX. I haven't seen any available HND flights in a while, but I have seen NRT flights. Of course this is all based on their allowing foreign visitors by that time, which we highly doubt will happen.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've booked something for my son to get him to CTS on 12/24. I currently have something for him through KIX with an overnight at KIX. I haven't seen any available HND flights in a while, but I have seen NRT flights. Of course this is all based on their allowing foreign visitors by that time, which we highly doubt will happen.
I would just keep the routing through KIX since you have that. The odds are very slim foreign visitors will be allowed by December anyway so rather than worry too much about it you might start looking for a trip sometime later in 2022 when things are more likely to be open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.