Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The best part of AS's FF program has always been the vast number of routings on different partner carriers. That said, every time I try to book a business/ first reward, all I'm given is mixed itineraries. It makes actually finding good flights impossible.

Search SEA to Paris. You get a business flight to PDX onto coach to Paris for 100k miles. Similarly search Sea to SYD. Business to LAX to 15 hours of coach hell to SYD for a bunch of miles.

I've complained about this a number of times and I have gotten answers of we'll pass it on to the IT team said that the fares returned can't filter out mixed awards. Of course, it takes probably 20 lines of HTML/javascript to do this.

Is AS's web team this incompetent? I can't figure out if its laziness, complacency or lack of competence.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ou81two
I've complained about this a number of times
Indeed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26554302-post25.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29763105-post21.html
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I've complained about this a number of times and I have gotten answers of we'll pass it on to the IT team said that the fares returned can't filter out mixed awards. Of course, it takes probably 20 lines of HTML/javascript to do this.
Could perhaps be done in a 20 line greasemonkey script. If you think you are more competent and motivated, give it a try.

Is AS's web team this incompetent? I can't figure out if its laziness, complacency or lack of competence.

My guess is that some product manager simply doesn’t agree with your priority for this feature (vs other items on their todo list). As a software engineer I have seen that countless times. Limited resources, unlimited todo items, differing opinions about the relative priority. And yes, this issue bugs me, too.

Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Perhaps they just don't feel like bowing down to your wishes?
Maybe its the same unknown reason there is no mixed cabin filter on AA, DL or UA?
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
There could be other reasons they don't want to do this. Maybe they don't want to make it easier for mileage brokers, or show much less award availability. Given how easy it would be to find the limited space if they did this, I think many of us here may not want the change.
notquiteaff and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Having a filter that hides all "mixed cabin" awards would be nice for sure... but the problem is not all "mixed cabins" are created equally.

I just booked SEA-YVR-NRT in a mixed cabin award. Coach from SEA-YVR, business from YVR-NRT.
Would I prefer being in first on the short hop to YVR? Of course. But not a deal breaker.

However most are of course like, SEA-LAX in First, LAX-NRT in Coach.... and the only way to know is to click on the stupid little pop-up.

Just put the results in-line in the search results so we don't have to click the popups!
notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I dunno why you're assuming they're unintelligent. There are feature requests likely out the wazoo, and someone is prioritizing them.

When they look at the metrics (probably 90%+ of awards are booked in Economy), it's not exactly a high priority for them.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Part of the problem must be that the best we can do on some itineraries would be domestic FC and international business class, which is a mixed cabin itinerary technically even though it's all premium cabin.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Part of the problem must be that the best we can do on some itineraries would be domestic FC and international business class, which is a mixed cabin itinerary technically even though it's all premium cabin.
Do you have any experience redeeming AS miles?

The problem is inept, or at least impractical IT, at least on the customer facing end. This is not an issue with other airlines where I am a member and attempt award searching.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:21 pm

But the frustration and rage is half the fun. And some people book those really bad awards and it helps subsidize our gluttonous itineraries.
mixmastermark and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Given how easy it would be to find the limited space if they did this, I think many of us here may not want the change.
Agreed. I enjoy getting outsized value with my miles and appreciate that sometimes a little extra work on my part allows these great mileage redemptions in premium classes to be more available. This is also why I hope CX awards never become bookable on the AS website.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd

Agreed. I enjoy getting outsized value with my miles and appreciate that sometimes a little extra work on my part allows these great mileage redemptions in premium classes to be more available. This is also why I hope CX awards never become bookable on the AS website.
Soon to be bookable online on AA, with 5 day holds!

James
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would say this is more likely your own problem rather than AS.

Of course, no one wants mixed award if there is a choice, not just with AS, but every other program as well. I see your anger by how you trash AS's IT. But the reality is AS does not have any obligations at all to do whatever to please you. While you are entitled to your opinion and suggestion, AS is under no obligation to take your word into work.

Perhaps this may be a good idea to adjust your POV for/against AS?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Could perhaps be done in a 20 line greasemonkey script. If you think you are more competent and motivated, give it a try.

My guess is that some product manager simply doesn’t agree with your priority for this feature (vs other items on their todo list). As a software engineer I have seen that countless times. Limited resources, unlimited todo items, differing opinions about the relative priority. And yes, this issue bugs me, too.
You can't be much of a programmer if you think it can be solved with greasemonkey. Unlimited to do items? The website is basically the same it has been for close to decade. It wouldn't take much to add in an option to filter mixed rewards on the calendar view.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I would say this is more likely your own problem rather than AS.

Of course, no one wants mixed award if there is a choice, not just with AS, but every other program as well. I see your anger by how you trash AS's IT. But the reality is AS does not have any obligations at all to do whatever to please you. While you are entitled to your opinion and suggestion, AS is under no obligation to take your word into work.

Perhaps this may be a good idea to adjust your POV for/against AS?
Not wanting to book a "First" reward that is 95% in coach is purely my problem. Great ideal. I'm sure that nobody else wants to easily find business class itineraries on the site. I'm the only person redeeming awards on there quite clearly. Nice apologist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.