Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ou81two
You can't be much of a programmer if you think it can be solved with greasemonkey.
For sure not much of a JavaScript developer, but I have been hacking some greasemonkey (and similar) scripts for various personal uses.

That said, I wasn’t thinking of the calendar view. And I don’t think your “20 lines of HTML/javascript to do this” are going to work, whether delivered by AS’s server or added via some hack.

Unlimited to do items? The website is basically the same it has been for close to decade. It wouldn't take much to add in an option to filter mixed rewards on the calendar view.
A simple “don’t show me any mixed rewards” filter would be useless to me. There are plenty of mixed rewards that I would want to see. And more that I wouldn’t. The filter checkbox on a page is simply the tip of the iceberg. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me ”it would t take much to add X”, I could have hired another developer and made it happen

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jul 22, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:41 pm

The Emirates awards are the worst offenders in my opinion.

But I agree that a simple on/off button or simple on/off filter won't solve the problem.

-David
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The Emirates awards are the worst offenders in my opinion.
I current hold a mixed class award reservation with Emirates that I wouldn’t have found with a simple filter. ATH-DXB-SFO-... with the first leg currently in coach and the long leg in J. And then two more short domestic west coast legs on AS where I really didn’t care (and frankly don’t recall what I got... one of them is probably a Q400 anyway).

I basically need a filter that can read my mind
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA PP, Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The issue isn't and shouldn't be a client side problem (javascript). This is something Alaska can handle by locking down the fare classes they're searching for when they make their request for tickets.

The truth is that modernization and refactoring are always going to be the lowest priority when the underlying product works fine. Every. Single. Time.
notquiteaff and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

A simple “don’t show me any mixed rewards” filter would be useless to me. There are plenty of mixed rewards that I would want to see. And more that I wouldn’t. The filter checkbox on a page is simply the tip of the iceberg. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me ”it would t take much to add X”, I could have hired another developer and made it happen
I couldn't agree more. For me my first/last flight is always on a Q400 so filtering out mixed cabin itineraries would result in zero availability in perpetuity. In reality, I seek out the premium cabin awards and add my first/last flight(s) once they are secured. The flexibility of AS redemptions allows for various routings to the gateway city anyway even if there is a layover to the next day.

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I think the problem is that domestic F + international Y shouldn't be counted as an F award. Most major carriers could filter it out using Most Significant Leg(MSL) because they have to calculate baggage allowance based on MSL. Since Alaska is not an international carrier I doubt they have that system in place.
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
I think the problem is that domestic F + international Y shouldn't be counted as an F award. Most major carriers could filter it out using Most Significant Leg(MSL) because they have to calculate baggage allowance based on MSL. Since Alaska is not an international carrier I doubt they have that system in place.
When did Canada, Mexico & Costa Rica stop being international?

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I couldn't agree more. For me my first/last flight is always on a Q400 so filtering out mixed cabin itineraries would result in zero availability in perpetuity. In reality, I seek out the premium cabin awards and add my first/last flight(s) once they are secured. The flexibility of AS redemptions allows for various routings to the gateway city anyway even if there is a layover to the next day.

James
James, not sure how one would add first/last to premium award flight. Just booked F award flight for next spring. Major portion is in F but, SEA/DEN portion is Y on AS. Not a big deal, as I expect to get upgrade before flight. The time for that flight is the issue. I really do not want to spend 8 hours at DEN until my international award flight. How would I have secured a later flight from SEA? Thanks (new to award travel)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
When did Canada, Mexico & Costa Rica stop being international?

James
Well... intercontinental?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97

Well... intercontinental?
Just teasing! If one wants to be very technical, although politically tied to North America, Hawaii isn't part of any continent geographically. In support, flights to/from Hawaii are on and off the North American continent but not intercontinental. However, I do get the gist of your comments.

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just teasing! If one wants to be very technical, although politically tied to North America, Hawaii isn't part of any continent geographically. In support, flights to/from Hawaii are on and off the North American continent but not intercontinental. However, I do get the gist of your comments.

James
Hawaii isn't even part of the regular USA ICAO airport coding system. (Of course, neither is Alaska)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I propose a whole new metric be added to the booking system: the Comfort Index. Every 15 minute increment in a Q400 = 1 point; E75 Y = 15; Airbii/737 Y = 10; Airbii737 PC = 15; preVM Airbii F = (Who knows); International J = 100; International F = 250.

Then you add it up and sort it and wheeeee!

<somewhere a programmer breaks a pencil in rage>
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by williwaw
I propose a whole new metric be added to the booking system: the Comfort Index. Every 15 minute increment in a Q400 = 1 point; E75 Y = 15; Airbii/737 Y = 10; Airbii737 PC = 15; preVM Airbii F = (Who knows); International J = 100; International F = 250.

Then you add it up and sort it and wheeeee!

<somewhere a programmer breaks a pencil in rage>
I don't want my redemption rates going up thank you
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Having a filter that hides all "mixed cabin" awards would be nice for sure... but the problem is not all "mixed cabins" are created equally.

I just booked SEA-YVR-NRT in a mixed cabin award. Coach from SEA-YVR, business from YVR-NRT.
Would I prefer being in first on the short hop to YVR? Of course. But not a deal breaker.
I'm pretty sure that the only reasonable filter would be something along the line of "Business Class only for 3+ hr legs".
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CZBB
I'm pretty sure that the only reasonable filter would be something along the line of "Business Class only for 3+ hr legs".
Not really, SEA-PHX/DEN are 3 hour block times for AS, ANC-SEA is way over 3 hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.