Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
Much of this may be personal preference for many of us, but since this conversation has been going on for so long among AS's most loyal flyers, one might think that the AS IT folks might bump it up just a bit. They must have someone who watches some of these posts, wouldn't you think?
It isn't that it can't be implemented in one shape or another but I don't believe it holds enough priority with AS to not be swept under the rug, especially for a robust application for your desired preference. The cost benefit analysis for AS wouldn't be there. If you are booking with an agent, you are incurring a fee.

What everyone really wants is AS to do the legwork for them. However they would implement the search parameters, it wouldn't be praised by everyone.

Perhaps an Elite Award booking line where you can call and specify all you desires? They can search for you and call you back when all the parameters are met! "Yes, I would like a flight to London for 5 in F on Dec 20th please. I don't do red-eye flights unless solely in F and connections need to be under 4 hours, no routes without lounge access are acceptable, Thank you!" I wouldn't expect too many call backs. lol

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It isn't that it can't be implemented in one shape or another but I don't believe it holds enough priority with AS to not be swept under the rug, especially for a robust application for your desired preference. The cost benefit analysis for AS wouldn't be there. If you are booking with an agent, you are incurring a fee.

What everyone really wants is AS to do the legwork for them. However they would implement the search parameters, it wouldn't be praised by everyone.

Perhaps an Elite Award booking line where you can call and specify all you desires? They can search for you and call you back when all the parameters are met! "Yes, I would like a flight to London for 5 in F on Dec 20th please. I don't do red-eye flights unless solely in F and connections need to be under 4 hours, no routes without lounge access are acceptable, Thank you!" I wouldn't expect too many call backs. lol

James
Maybe we could just have a toggle for “the flight I really want that will not possibly be available for an award”!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Everyone is missing the most fundamental, obvious, and truthful explanation for the reason why AS hasn't implemented such a filter. Marketing. Spin. Deception, if you prefer.

Airlines, banks that issue credit cards, blogs, and countless other parties with financial skin in the game all strive very, very hard to make all frequent flyer programs look as attractive as possible (often to the point of being completely dishonest). It's in their interest to sugar-coat things and make it look as positive as they can, stopping just short (usually) of making outright, easily-provable lies. So sure, you can use your miles to fly in a premium cabin to far away places (if you can cobble together enough miles). Sadly, that premium cabin is almost always the leg that you don't really need so much to be in that premium cabin. But they're not going to highlight that - just like they don't highlight the fact that a lot of the award inventory they show on partners is phantom and can't be booked (Aer Lingus and others) - and other inconvenient truths like $800 in added "fees" on top of a bazillion miles if you fly on certain partners (British Airways), and a hundred other gotchas.

Alaska doesn't want to make any of these inconvenient truths easy to discover because that would make more consumers wise to the fact that they were being played for suckers.

They want to move credit cards, they want you to have unrealistic hopes and aspirations for using your miles. Just like every blog does, along with a hundred other co-conspirators. They all engage in massive deception by way of half-truths, selective weasel language, omission of practical real-world limitations, and lots more.

It's not because they have too many feature requests or bugs logged (although surely the have lots of both). That's not why they don't add a filter though. They don't add a filter because they want to keep the suckers in the dark.
mikew99 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
By the time you have enough miles that you can think about international awards in a premium cabin you should have an idea how the game is played. All of what you said is true but....it still has saved me substantial money on travel, while taking flights I would have taken anyway.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
It's not because they have too many feature requests or bugs logged (although surely the have lots of both). That's not why they don't add a filter though. They don't add a filter because they want to keep the suckers in the dark.
Took 48 posts to get to the real reason: There's no incentive for AS to solve this "problem," and it's probably better for AS (and, arguably, for us FTers) if they don't. Tbh, although I'm relatively new to AS, I have dealt with this issue for years on both AA and UA also and have accepted it as just the way things work.

When the time comes to redeem my AS miles, I'm sure that I'll spend hours searching for available seats on desirable flights, just as I have always done.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
So sure, you can use your miles to fly in a premium cabin to far away places (if you can cobble together enough miles).
One more time, louder for the people in the back:

The majority of AS redemptions are on AS metal only. Partner premium cabin redemptions are the exception, not the rule. Everyone on FT thinks they're the typical use case for how people use miles... they're not.

By definition, if you're a poster on FT with a few thousand posts, you're not a sucker. The suckers are the ones redeeming 5,000 miles for SEA-SFO in February.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 5, 2019 at 6:21 pm Reason: Added bolding for emphasis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.