Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Why Doesn't AS Offer Filtering of Mixed Cabin Awards?

Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not really, SEA-PHX/DEN are 3 hour block times for AS, ANC-SEA is way over 3 hours.
that illustrates the complexity. Different users will have different definitions of what is undesirable or unacceptable (and should thus be filtered out). So the simple “filter mixed awards” checkbox now requires some sort of user-preference configuration. Increased design, built and test complexity, for a feature that is designed to make it easier for us to find/book awards that are costly to AS. How are they going to prioritize this?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
that illustrates the complexity. Different users will have different definitions of what is undesirable or unacceptable (and should thus be filtered out). So the simple “filter mixed awards” checkbox now requires some sort of user-preference configuration. Increased design, built and test complexity, for a feature that is designed to make it easier for us to find/book awards that are costly to AS. How are they going to prioritize this?
But I was told by the FlyerTalk Executive VP of Information Systems this would take 20 lines of HTML/javascript.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: alaska
Alaska has mediocre international award space(with the exception of some Asian routes) and they know it. The non-filter makes it seem like they have more than they do.

Not a lot of incentive to change it, I would imagine, but it would be a nice feature.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: alaska
My additional question would also be why Cathay Pacific is still a hold out on their search engine?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gdam22
My additional question would also be why Cathay Pacific is still a hold out on their search engine?
its not available online on AA either so who knows.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
its not available online on AA either so who knows.
It's supposedly being added soonish. Making SABRE talk to Amadeus and have it all work through the website is probably 21 lines of HTML/javascript. MAYBE 22 if you're not very good at it.
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's supposedly being added soonish. Making SABRE talk to Amadeus and have it all work through the website is probably 21 lines of HTML/javascript. MAYBE 22 if you're not very good at it.
I know super easy, i can do it in one.

alert("do you want to book a CX award, call 1-800-252-7522!");
notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

A simple “don’t show me any mixed rewards” filter would be useless to me. There are plenty of mixed rewards that I would want to see. And more that I wouldn’t. The filter checkbox on a page is simply the tip of the iceberg. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me ”it would t take much to add X”, I could have hired another developer and made it happen
"There are plenty of mixed rewards that I would want to see" means that there are times when you wouldn't want to see them either. By your own words, it would be useful to you. It literally wouldn't take much to filter the results on the front end.

Last edited by dayone; Jul 31, 2019 at 4:31 pm Reason: Redact personal attack.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

It really doesn't. It would be adding a checkbox and the checkbox would filter out mixed awards. It's a particular problem on Alaska Air given their route structure and partner structure.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I'm wary of making it easier to nab the award space like others have suggested, but imo the ideal version of the feature would be more along the lines of providing us with a means to specify which leg(s) of an itinerary we want *not* in Y. I assume that's a bit tricky because there are dozens of Y's across carriers but, shouldn't be *that* hard to plug them all in.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Having just booked SEA-LHR (Stopover)-TXL and back in a combination of Y/J/F I know I never could have found the flight combinations I wanted if it filtered out mixed awards. In fact it came up with a routing (via SJC) that I never would have thought of and turned out to be perfect for me. In my case it took several hours to sort through what I wanted because i didn't have a firm date but it presented me with a lot of options. If I had a filter to sort for all F or all J only that would have left me no options at all for these flights.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
It really doesn't. It would be adding a checkbox and the checkbox would filter out mixed awards. It's a particular problem on Alaska Air given their route structure and partner structure.
I located a 3 segment itinerary on BA, BA, AS that was a mixed-cabin award, that being J, F, F. Filtering that out with a checkbox doesn't seem very productive to me. Be careful to ask for what you really want!

James
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I located a 3 segment itinerary on BA, BA, AS that was a mixed-cabin award, that being J, F, F. Filtering that out with a checkbox doesn't seem very productive to me. Be careful to ask for what you really want!

James
I'm not going to pass up JL 1 in F if I have to fly to SFO in AS Y in an exit row as an elite, and the other thing is if you're an AS elite, you stand a non-zero chance of being upgraded to F on the award anyway.
jsguyrus and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I'm not going to pass up JL 1 in F if I have to fly to SFO in AS Y in an exit row as an elite, and the other thing is if you're an AS elite, you stand a non-zero chance of being upgraded to F on the award anyway.
I couldn't agree more! I changed my last JL F award HKG-HND-JFK-LAX, J, F, F to HKG-HND-JFK/2 months/JFK-LAX-PVR, J, F. F, Y and was upgraded on the LAX-PVR segment.

Had I filtered out mixed-cabin itineraries, I would have been out of luck on finding J & F HKG to JFK.

I am sure some will argue that the option to filter out Y only segments would be the way to go. Since not all routes are are on mainline, the result would be as disastrous. Every award from/to YLW will always be a mixed-cabin award.

James
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Seems to me that there could be a carefully worded (and coded) filter such as "Show mixed cabin only on itineraries that include single-class flights," or "...shorter legs" (I'm sure someone can do better than that, but that's the concept.) In addition to, or in lieu of, that tricky verbiage, a simple toggle on/off for mixed class would at least show the best all-premium options for someone who wants to see only those first (if any!). If/when the corresponding results aren't good enough, then toggle the mixed-class back on and start manually inspecting the dregs. At least that gives you a chance to look for the best options (possibly) first.

ALSO, why can't we have a slider or something, like so many other sites have, that filters by length of trip (and maybe layover time as well)? Drives me a little crazy to be looking at 34-hour itineraries for something that really should only be 10-12 or less. I get that some people search for those long itineraries for specific reasons, but I suspect that the majority of travelers just want to "get there".

Lastly, a filter for time of day (avoiding domestic redeyes, for example) would be nice. I realize you can sort results by duration or departure time, but that's not really filtering.

Much of this may be personal preference for many of us, but since this conversation has been going on for so long among AS's most loyal flyers, one might think that the AS IT folks might bump it up just a bit. They must have someone who watches some of these posts, wouldn't you think?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.