Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
Re: change fees etc.I have asked myself those questions and the answer is yes. Being able to change dates/cities when traveling to Asia/Australia is priceless when two or more are traveling. We start with a couple cities we want to go to and will be happy with since we are in J. If all of a sudden, a better routing and cities we would like to add or stopovers in HKG or various AUS cities present themselves then we add/subtract. In 2014 I was able to tweak my itinerary to include 4 stopovers in Australia in J and flew in and out of the US.in Qantas F. Originally I was in PE and no availability n J on any of the other flights. I must have changed 6 times over the course of 3 months. another trip I did the same thing including a several day stopover in HKG and grabbed a F seat last minute.
I have to agree with you, this is the main reason we keep MVPG. Plus the fact that I like those international "mileage runs". We also book low-travel times for domestic flights and our upgrade percentage is high. Every bit helps in today's travel world.
jonnyz1245 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Interesting math! I learned it a little differently.

On segments: 3/8 = 37.5%
On miles flown: 12,925/30,404 = 42.51%
On EQM Earned: 12,283/~34,000 = 36.13%
On original itin: 12,283/~35,662 = 34.4%*

* I lost 1662 EQM as a 25% COS bonus on LA J when the new charts came into effect last year, after I booked my itinerary, which was not grandfathered in.

I find it amusing that a rebuttal claims "half" of the flights in Y. Also amusing is that other posters follow up on your exaggeration to substantiate theirs.

James
The fare basis is one half Y, and one half J. dont you agree.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
8 transon before Feb 28 would net 40k eqm and mvp gold is actually the best plan.

What happens on or after Feb 28th? Why is it the best plan? 8 Transcons looks like a lot more hours of my butt in the seat vs other options
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:25 pm

What happens on or after Feb 28th? Why is it the best plan? 8 Transcons looks like a lot more hours of my butt in the seat vs other options
8 trancon in 2020 would net 5x8=40k eqm, that would be mvp gold until dec 2021 (jan/feb is the cheapest time to fly)
and depends on flight time, upgrade to F. (at least for me).
(my success for upgrade ex LAX sfo is fairly good).
(probably hard for ex-sea.)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

8 trancon in 2020 would net 5x8=40k eqm, that would be mvp gold until dec 2021 (jan/feb is the cheapest time to fly)
and depends on flight time, upgrade to F. (at least for me).
(my success for upgrade ex LAX sfo is fairly good).
(probably hard for ex-sea.)
Ahh I see, so this is what works best for you. Thanks....

EX PDX, F upgrades transcons are nearly non existent even unless you're 75K and even then its a crap shoot. I flew PDX>EWR last month and there were 28 people on the waitlist for 1 seat. As a MVPG, I was number 10.

I'll stick with the best options that are available to me between now and end of 2019 to reach my goals and thanks to several who pointed me in the right direction and provided useful and helpful solutions, I now have a plan to reach MVPG for a reasonable amount with out too much hassle and certainly way less than 90-100 hours of butt in seat
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:42 pm

Ahh I see, so this is what works best for you. Thanks....

EX PDX, F upgrades transcons are nearly non existent even unless you're 75K and even then its a crap shoot. I flew PDX>EWR last month and there were 28 people on the waitlist for 1 seat. As a MVPG, I was number 10.

I'll stick with the best options that are available to me between now and end of 2019 to reach my goals and thanks to several who pointed me in the right direction and provided useful and helpful solutions, I now have a plan to reach MVPG for a reasonable amount with out too much hassle and certainly way less than 90-100 hours of butt in seat
no. it is not what i need to do. i got 20k eqm for 400 usd a few weeks ago. flying J class.i would clear 100k or even 150k eqm easily
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

no. it is not what i need to do. i got 20k eqm for 400 usd a few weeks ago. flying J class.i would clear 100k or even 150k eqm easily
Wait, you got 20K EQM miles for $400 usd yet are posting in a thread where I am asking for suggestions on how to get a similar amount of miles and you don't bother to share how you did it but rather suggest I fly 8 transcons by Feb 28th, a date which passed several months ago? Interesting thread!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, you got 20K EQM miles for $400 usd yet are posting in a thread where I am asking for suggestions on how to get a similar amount of miles and you don't bother to share how you did it but rather suggest I fly 8 transcons by Feb 28th, a date which passed several months ago? Interesting thread!
I think he meant Feb 2020. The suggestion is not to get status now, and instead mileage run it at the beginning of next year when (1) tickets are cheap and (2) the status would last you 2 years instead of 1.

Honestly, it's not terrible advice, and it's worth considering. However, if you're going to do it with transcons, I'd suggest doing it this year instead and fly to/from CA. The 100% bonus miles promo + your 100% elite bonus means that you're earning about 15k RDM per transcon round trip, which is a nice little bonus.

As for the $400 deal, I assume that he is buying partner tickets from non-US destinations to get a deal like that. Some areas are known for having VERY low fares departing from there. The problem is, if you are in the US, you have to get there.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think he meant Feb 2020. The suggestion is not to get status now, and instead mileage run it at the beginning of next year when (1) tickets are cheap and (2) the status would last you 2 years instead of 1.

Honestly, it's not terrible advice, and it's worth considering. However, if you're going to do it with transcons, I'd suggest doing it this year instead and fly to/from CA. The 100% bonus miles promo + your 100% elite bonus means that you're earning about 15k RDM per transcon round trip, which is a nice little bonus.

As for the $400 deal, I assume that he is buying partner tickets from non-US destinations to get a deal like that. Some areas are known for having VERY low fares departing from there. The problem is, if you are in the US, you have to get there.
Makes sense and I would do that if i can but Q1 is going to be busy for a number of reasons and March sees me leaving US for en extended period using my miles. As much as I'd like to front load a bunch of transcons Jan/Feb, not sure I could fit 8 in. Possibly 3 or 4 same day turns but that would be all.

Jumping down to Cali and doing several transcons before year end is doable. I'll look into it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The B737 SYD-NAN flight was good. It is a relatively short flight. The A330 was definitely tight in Y. I am not adverse to flying Y but I did feel more than a little cramped on this flight. I am sure the benefits of the A350 (better air quality, pressure) would be a better experience. Service and food was okay, certainly not industry leading. If the price was right, I might fly it again.

In contrast, circumstances required that I take the direct EK flight from DXB-SCL via GRU rather than DXB-GRU//GRU-SCL as booked. I was on the plane for 22 hours. The hard and soft product were significantly better than FJ. I wouldn't hesitate to fly the EK flight again. I would have second thoughts about flying FJ again on the A330 but would fly the A350 to check out the difference.

James
Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:50 pm

Cheap aa ticket, apply system wide upgrade to business class. AA thunderstorms in dfw causing cancellations. Protection into business class (revenue) due to exec plat status, change FFN to Alaska.

Not sure if it is advised that I can give in general.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by gbenrus25
What's the easiest way to earn 85k miles in a month? Any suggestions?
With AS or can it be with a partner?

If it has to be on AS metal, start flying SEA-OGG-SEA-JFK-SEA-OGG-SEA... on I/P fares, and don't stop...
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe you can find a cheap Condor flight in J to FRA. I have seen them for less than $1000 each way, I think (though not when I booked recently). That would get you a good chunk of miles (2x elite, 3x RDM, I think).
There are a few of these out of YYC available in August and September.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Cheap aa ticket, apply system wide upgrade to business class. AA thunderstorms in dfw causing cancellations. Protection into business class (revenue) due to exec plat status, change FFN to Alaska.

Not sure if it is advised that I can give in general.
important to note that you need to spend 12k (soon 15k) plus still fly 100k or a ridiculous amount of segments to save 2000 in change fees on Alaska

Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by lalala
important to note that you need to spend 12k (soon 15k) plus still fly 100k or a ridiculous amount of segments to save 2000 in change fees on Alaska
The obvious solution is then to do even more changes on your tickets. After 120 changes you should break even!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.