Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Maybe you can find a cheap Condor flight in J to FRA. I have seen them for less than $1000 each way, I think (though not when I booked recently). That would get you a good chunk of miles (2x elite, 3x RDM, I think).
robotmirror likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milypan
LAX-SIN is about 17k RT and can be had for as little as $1100 in SQ PE. Sounds like that still leaves you 8-13k EQM short however.

But, with the exception of the 4 GGUs, all of those benefits are also available with MVP, just sometimes to a lesser degree. As for the change fees, you should ask yourself whether you'd actually pay $125 to make every change that you made, or whether in some cases you made them simply because they were free. If the latter, then you shouldn't value the change fee benefit at ($125 * # of changes).

I am keeping my eye out for the next SQ sale. I have seen some great fares come up in the past. I will jump on any LAX>SIN or similar that pops up. I also have a few US flights that will put me at 17-20K by the end of the year so I will need 20-23K. I can easily add a RT to LA for $150-180 to get another 2-3K if I go through SEA.

Re: change fees etc.I have asked myself those questions and the answer is yes. Being able to change dates/cities when traveling to Asia/Australia is priceless when two or more are traveling. We start with a couple cities we want to go to and will be happy with since we are in J. If all of a sudden, a better routing and cities we would like to add or stopovers in HKG or various AUS cities present themselves then we add/subtract. In 2014 I was able to tweak my itinerary to include 4 stopovers in Australia in J and flew in and out of the US.in Qantas F. Originally I was in PE and no availability n J on any of the other flights. I must have changed 6 times over the course of 3 months. another trip I did the same thing including a several day stopover in HKG and grabbed a F seat last minute. The milage game as we all know has all sorts of twists and turns and not all perks are useful. We have to decide where the value is for ourselves. If I can spend 1200-1500 this year and get gold, I believe in 2020 I will be able to reap north of 4K dollars in perks out of it which over the course of a year is worth it to me. Whether or not I would do it again next year is anybody guess. It all depends on what that is going to look like travel wise.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
I am keeping my eye out for the next SQ sale. I have seen some great fares come up in the past. I will jump on any LAX>SIN or similar that pops up. I also have a few US flights that will put me at 17-20K by the end of the year so I will need 20-23K.
Just a reminder that if you’re using partner miles, you’ll need a total of 50k, so it’s probably 30-33K needed, not 20-23k
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Bit of a risk, but you can wait for a buy-up offer if short miles at the end of the year: Elite (EQM) Buy-Up Offers for 2019
jjmpdx likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
Bit of a risk, but you can wait for a buy-up offer if short miles at the end of the year: Elite (EQM) Buy-Up Offers for 2019

I am not sure the buy up offer is for more than a few thousand- five thousand miles and if I recall correctly the buy up price is very expensive.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Your best option is just to forget about it for the rest of this year. If you think your travel will increase next year, you can always do a mileage run in January when prices are cheaper and give yourself a head start for the year. Remember that it is going to be far more comfortable to relax at home than to be on a plane no matter what class you fly.
milypan, notquiteaff and pbd456 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Your best option is just to forget about it for the rest of this year. If you think your travel will increase next year, you can always do a mileage run in January when prices are cheaper and give yourself a head start for the year. Remember that it is going to be far more comfortable to relax at home than to be on a plane no matter what class you fly.
Well sounds like thats what you would do if you were me, but you're not Time is not an issue, and I have plenty of time to relax at home. I think doing a MR to the far east will get me most of the way there and coupled with my 2 remaining transcons plus a couple planned west coast trips this fall, should put me over the hump. Thanks for the suggestion though. Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You will need two TPAC roundtrips to get you 30K-33K elite miles, assuming no reductions in earning rate on certain fare tickets. You will also need to up your budget, mistake fares aside, PE will be at least 2K USD (for two trips), and J will be more.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if you have set your mind to do what you want to do, why bother posting?
lalala likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
if you have set your mind to do what you want to do, why bother posting?
He was asking how to get there, not if he should do it
jonnyz1245 and jjmpdx like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:30 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Sure but the ask is totally unrealistic. So it invites a wide range of commentary.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by _fx

Sure but the ask is totally unrealistic. So it invites a wide range of commentary.
I did an 8 segment mixed-cabin RTW, first 3 in Y, last 5 in J on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX earning 34K EQM for $1.6K. I also flew FJ Y SYD-NAN-LAX return earning 14,978 EQM for $693. There are often good sub $1K QF fares to Australia (100% EQM) that allows unlimited connections in Australia. I wouldn't say it is totally unrealistic, especially with a little creativity and knowing the partner charts.

James
NYC Flyer and jonnyz1245 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx

It's not totally unrealistic which is why I asked for suggestions. I have read plenty of posts on FT over the last few years where people get darn close if not above what I am asking on milage runs and in my general price range. I also said I am willing to go higher dollar wise. I am not stuck on 25K for $1200.

Right now I am at 10K miles and have 1 and probably 2 more RT Transcons by 12/31 which will put me just below 15 or 20K. I also have a couple LA and LV trips by years end. Routing through SEA I should be up to 20-25K.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I did an 8 segment mixed-cabin RTW, first 3 in Y, last 5 in J on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX earning 34K EQM for $1.6K. I also flew FJ Y SYD-NAN-LAX return earning 14,978 EQM for $693. There are often good sub $1K QF fares to Australia (100% EQM) that allows unlimited connections in Australia. I wouldn't say it is totally unrealistic, especially with a little creativity and knowing the partner charts.

James

If I can find a similar fare as your 8 segment RTW, I will jump on it for 34K EQM @ $1.6K

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.