Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
Right now I am at 10K miles and have 1 and probably 2 more RT Transcons by 12/31 which will put me just below 15 or 20K. I also have a couple LA and LV trips by years end. Routing through SEA I should be up to 20-25K.
If you are going to be at 20-25K on your expected flights by year end, I think you should be looking at cheaper AS flights in the fall. At 20-25K EQM existing, you would only need 20-15K additional AS EQM for Gold. If you start using Partners, you would need 30-25K EQM to qualify at the 50K AS+Partner threshold. ANC-SJO is 10,134 EQM return. Super easy for a direct turn in SJO.

James
milypan and jonnyz1245 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
If I can find a similar fare as your 8 segment RTW, I will jump on it for 34K EQM @ $1.6K

Cheers!
you said PE and J only but you would jump on a deal with half of the trip in Y?
milypan and _fx like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I did an 8 segment mixed-cabin RTW, first 3 in Y, last 5 in J on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX earning 34K EQM for $1.6K. I also flew FJ Y SYD-NAN-LAX return earning 14,978 EQM for $693. There are often good sub $1K QF fares to Australia (100% EQM) that allows unlimited connections in Australia. I wouldn't say it is totally unrealistic, especially with a little creativity and knowing the partner charts.

James
how do you find the experience in FJ Y SYD-NAN-LAX? I will do an immediate return in LAX next year with most A350 and NAN-SYD on B737.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456

Yes, to me netting 34K miles sounds like a good thing to compromise on. All depends on the flight segments but worth looking into in my opinion.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
You can get close to 25k miles via tcon. Something like SEA -> EWR 5x is possible for under $1200. I have flown (X) for $220 RT a few times already.

So that gets you to 25k at under ~1200. Hard to find those fares during summer months though.

It would be easier than doing an international run as you will need 10k less miles to qualify for MVPG
jonnyz1245 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Right, that's the part where the whole thing stops making any sense. Objectively, even international F is not a great experience --- the food will be, at best, equal to what you'd get at a mediocre restaurant in a city with good food, and the hard product is equivalent to what you might hope for in a clean hostel. So the value of J/F always depends on how intolerable you find long-haul Y.

If you absolutely hate being in Y, but you must or really want to take the trip, then J/F can have value. But obviously OP doesn't mind Y, since s/he's willing to fly in it on an ultra-long haul mileage run. But if Y is acceptable or better, then OP should not be willing to pay 8 x $125 change fees to get from Y to J/F, as claimed earlier. Ultimately it doesn't add up.
pbd456 and _fx like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milypan
Right, that's the part where the whole thing stops making any sense. Objectively, even international F is not a great experience --- the food will be, at best, equal to what you'd get at a mediocre restaurant in a city with good food, and the hard product is equivalent to what you might hope for in a clean hostel. So the value of J/F always depends on how intolerable you find long-haul Y.

If you absolutely hate being in Y, but you must or really want to take the trip, then J/F can have value. But obviously OP doesn't mind Y, since s/he's willing to fly in it on an ultra-long haul mileage run. But if Y is acceptable or better, then OP should not be willing to pay 8 x $125 change fees to get from Y to J/F, as claimed earlier. Ultimately it doesn't add up.

Why doesn't it add up? Doesn't add up for you? Who is to say it doesn't add up to me? If Y on some segments as part of a long haul trip to help me reach my goal that would be ok. I never said I was willing to pay 8 x $125 in change fees. I am not willing to pay those fees. In 2018 I used the change waiver over 15 times both on milage and paid flights. I was also upgraded to first 9 times. In 2019 so far I have used it over 10 times. I selected exit row or row 6 on EVERY flight as I booked it that I took last year which was over 45 segments. I am tall and paying for those seats would have added thousands of dollars in cost. Those perks are worth paying the extra money via a MR as long as the milage run doesn't cost me too much. I want gold b/c of the perks available I have found to be valuable to me. I said I use the perks of being an MVPG and one of the perks I used was changing flights and classes of service as I found availability. Pretty simple really Cheers!

The purpose of the thread was to get some suggestions/ideas to help get me towards a goal. Some people really seem to take exception as to the why's. Others have been really helpful.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

The plan is a work in progress, I assume its ok to adapt and change things on the fly without your permission?

Geez, tough crowd.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
The plan is a work in progress, I assume its ok to adapt and change things on the fly without your permission?

Geez, tough crowd.
uh, yeah ... welcome to FT :/
jonnyz1245 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can find a cheap Emirates premium cabin fare ex-US (ha!!!) you can take advantage of Amex's $500 off business / $1000 off first promo.

I'm pretty sure that cheap non-economy Emirates fares ex-US don't exist, though. If you find one please share.
jonnyz1245 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by jrl767
uh, yeah ... welcome to FT :/
LOL
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you can find a cheap Emirates premium cabin fare ex-US (ha!!!) you can take advantage of Amex's $500 off business / $1000 off first promo.

I'm pretty sure that cheap non-economy Emirates fares ex-US don't exist, though. If you find one please share.
It will be interesting to see what EK PE will be like. Their Y isn't all too bad!

James
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by milypan

8 transon before Feb 28 would net 40k eqm and mvp gold is actually the best plan.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:54 am

Interesting math! I learned it a little differently.

On segments: 3/8 = 37.5%
On miles flown: 12,925/30,404 = 42.51%
On EQM Earned: 12,283/~34,000 = 36.13%
On original itin: 12,283/~35,662 = 34.4%*

* I lost 1662 EQM as a 25% COS bonus on LA J when the new charts came into effect last year, after I booked my itinerary, which was not grandfathered in.

I find it amusing that a rebuttal claims "half" of the flights in Y. Also amusing is that other posters follow up on your exaggeration to substantiate theirs.

James
jonnyz1245 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
how do you find the experience in FJ Y SYD-NAN-LAX? I will do an immediate return in LAX next year with most A350 and NAN-SYD on B737.

Thanks.
The B737 SYD-NAN flight was good. It is a relatively short flight. The A330 was definitely tight in Y. I am not adverse to flying Y but I did feel more than a little cramped on this flight. I am sure the benefits of the A350 (better air quality, pressure) would be a better experience. Service and food was okay, certainly not industry leading. If the price was right, I might fly it again.

In contrast, circumstances required that I take the direct EK flight from DXB-SCL via GRU rather than DXB-GRU//GRU-SCL as booked. I was on the plane for 22 hours. The hard and soft product were significantly better than FJ. I wouldn't hesitate to fly the EK flight again. I would have second thoughts about flying FJ again on the A330 but would fly the A350 to check out the difference.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.