Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Fed shutdown and Paine Field (Everett)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fed shutdown and Paine Field (Everett)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Was booked on a PHX-PAE flight in mid-February. Got switched to SEA and kept my upgrade, which I can't remember using, but apparently I did? Guess I'll slog through traffic and the world's longest speed trap.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by missamo80
Which is fine. I don't care *when* it flies, I care about being on it *when it does*.

Neil
likewise (travel to DC/LA for work, and RIC for son’s graduation, permitting)
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CalanMan
Excellent news! Thanks for sharing what you found out.

I did something similar, which is how I got on the PDX flight. I always knew it was suspect, since they'd opened up F, but no P and no Y. Just F, and then a few seats were sold, and then they closed it down again. Always seemed like opening it was a mistake.

I know in the other thread we were speculating that the PDX flight was for VIPs/employees/journalists, but did we ever have confirmation of that?

They actually opened all F buckets (including award space), but because most F fares are filed as Y-UP and all Y buckets were closed, only unrestricted F (and saver award A) were available for purchase.

No positive confirmation, but an agent I spoke to referred to the 4MAR PAE-PDX as a "private flight" and one of my friends who works at AS mentioned something about an employee raffle to be on the inaugural.
CalanMan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Crazy situation for sure. Had a conflict with the first dates (scheduled to be in Hawaii) - glad I didn't change my flights around now. The 4th of March also has me in Hawaii... still not changing that flight. Maybe it will get pushed again?

What's AS doing with these aircraft and extra crew for a month?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
They actually opened all F buckets (including award space), but because most F fares are filed as Y-UP and all Y buckets were closed, only unrestricted F (and saver award A) were available for purchase.
Haha, sure. That feels like a distinction without a difference to me.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
No positive confirmation, but an agent I spoke to referred to the 4MAR PAE-PDX as a "private flight" and one of my friends who works at AS mentioned something about an employee raffle to be on the inaugural.
Yes, that is what I suspected. A similar thing was done with VX1941, which was technically the last VX-marketed flight to take off, but was only available to VX "founders". So the party happened to VX1942, which departed 3 minutes earlier going the opposite direction, and was a total blast. (But we had to add "publicly available" to list of qualifiers for the flight.)

Speaking of distinctions without a differences... I'd argue that if they don't sell any tickets on the PDX flight to the public, that we really are still booked on the inaugural commercial flight. There have been many flights out of PAE over many years, including quite a few operated by commercial airlines, including Alaska. They just haven't carried paying customers. And they've been doing plenty of pre-opening testing of the new terminal, but still, no customers. So if customers are the difference between training/preparation/private operations and true commercial service, then AS/QX2777 is still the true inaugural!
missamo80 likes this.

Last edited by CalanMan; Jan 24, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
What's AS doing with these aircraft and extra crew for a month?
The blog post says:
Why not re-route all flights to Sea-Tac that are scheduled to fly between Feb. 11 and March 4 at Paine Field?
We are indeed moving a majority of the previously scheduled flights from Paine Field to Sea-Tac to accommodate our guests.
I'm under the impression that they've actually been doing this for a while. The QX flights between SEA and SFO/SJC started just about the same time that they were originally hoping to start service in October, and some of them are timed very close to other departures. I think they carved out the capacity in the QX schedule for an ambitious opening and have just been using SEA instead until those flights can move to PAE.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CalanMan
The blog post says:

I'm under the impression that they've actually been doing this for a while. The QX flights between SEA and SFO/SJC started just about the same time that they were originally hoping to start service in October, and some of them are timed very close to other departures. I think they carved out the capacity in the QX schedule for an ambitious opening and have just been using SEA instead until those flights can move to PAE.
That makes sense and have seen QX service in similar time slots to AS flights especially with SFO.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
With the shutdown ending today,here's hoping the FAA can get the approvals through before the three weeks are up!

Neil
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not really holding my breath :/
pbelmore likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:29 pm

With the shutdown ending today,here's hoping the FAA can get the approvals through before the three weeks are up!

Neil
I'm gonna shoot for the moon and hope that a political solution is reached, so they have clear until 3/4 uninterrupted to get the approvals they need.

(I know, I know, a guy can dream. I'm also working on this fantasy of the full AA partnership coming back.)
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Neil
I am hoping that there was SOME work being done maybe by other agencies that weren't shutdown that had to file reports back to FAA to compile and decide. e.g. environmental analysis and such. Hopefully those things are just sitting on their desk when they get in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.