Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone looked at the relationship, if any, between AsiaMiles award availability and release of seats to partners, especially given the dearth of F/J seats post-NYE?

I'm looking to fly in about 10 days and AsiaMiles has 3 J award seats but there's nothing for partners (BA/QF). The EF seating chart shows about 20+ open seats, so there seems to be plenty of availability.

If there are AsiaMiles awards now, are those likely to move to BA/QF, or is the 2019 Cathay F/J stinginess impacting only QF/BA but not AsiaMiles?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
CX has maybe a dozen flights a day HKG to TPE, not including Dragon. Is there a reason nothing comes on looking for awards in any class on AS? I've never booked AS intra asia flights can someone point me to a helpful thread? I'm looking for a one way on Dec 10 Thank you
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by tobikosan
CX has maybe a dozen flights a day HKG to TPE, not including Dragon. Is there a reason nothing comes on looking for awards in any class on AS? I've never booked AS intra asia flights can someone point me to a helpful thread? I'm looking for a one way on Dec 10 Thank you
QF shows much availability in Y and J on Dec 10 - you are searching with BA or QF and not AS, right?
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
If you're searching using the AS website, you're doing it wrong. You have to call for CX awards.

If you called and the agent can't find any seats on any flight, HUACA
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If you're searching using the AS website, you're doing it wrong. You have to call for CX awards.

If you called and the agent can't find any seats on any flight, HUACA
To save your sanity I highly recommend using BA or Qantas websites to search for the CX space before calling. Then just feed them flight numbers. And don't forget the "hour = 1" trick for flights departing between 00:00 and 01:00
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it unusual to see zero availability on intra-Asia flights right at T-330? I'm finding decent SEA-HKG and occasional LAX-HKG or even east coast-HKG, but then nothing beyond HKG.

Looking for J. Just trying to get simple things like BKK or SIN. Expected that to be the easy part...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by DrAlex
QF shows much availability in Y and J on Dec 10 - you are searching with BA or QF and not AS, right?
I'm looking on QF for HKG to TPE on Dec 10 and have zero cathay non stops. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Now on BA found lots of J and some PE but no economy. Weird
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm looking on QF for HKG to TPE on Dec 10 and have zero cathay non stops. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Now on BA found lots of J and some PE but no economy. Weird
Is there any consensus on whether searching BA vs QF leads to more accurate representation of what AS agents can actually see and book?

I always search QF out of habit.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by pinniped
Is there any consensus on whether searching BA vs QF leads to more accurate representation of what AS agents can actually see and book?

I always search QF out of habit.
A few have said JL yields the closest results to AS availability. I usually start with QF because their calendar search is usually more helpful and BA does not always accurately reflect results if more than one segment are involved in the journey. BA will show a J award on a connecting trip even if one segment is Y. QF will show a mixed J/Y award as mixed and let you see which segments are in which class. BA is good for one segment availability around a specific date since it will show the number of seats available, but for connecting journeys it is better to use QF (or maybe JL or CX).

I have noticed some inconsistencies in the QF vs BA results since CX did a system upgrade a couple of days ago. I have not investigated sufficiently to tell if QF or BA is off.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:26 pm

I noticed something weird on the QF website.

When I search SEA-HKG, it shows me a connection at ORD, with the ORD-HKG flight on CX available in J.
When I search ORD-HKG, it shows me a connection at SEA, with the SEA-HKG flight on CX available in J.
Neither search shows the existence of a nonstop flight.

Perhaps not an issue for AS - when I search BA, the Seattle flight shows 6 PE and 4 J, for example. Perhaps a QF glitch?

Also, I can't find the calendar view on QF. It's just a day-by-day search.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by pinniped
I noticed something weird on the QF website.

When I search SEA-HKG, it shows me a connection at ORD, with the ORD-HKG flight on CX available in J.
When I search ORD-HKG, it shows me a connection at SEA, with the SEA-HKG flight on CX available in J.
Neither search shows the existence of a nonstop flight.

Perhaps not an issue for AS - when I search BA, the Seattle flight shows 6 PE and 4 J, for example. Perhaps a QF glitch?

Also, I can't find the calendar view on QF. It's just a day-by-day search.
I am also finding inconsistencies between QF and BA at the moment with (for example) BA showing J4 and QF showing nothing. I don't know what AS shows as I haven't called them.

Regarding the calendar view on QF: when you select the Depart date the calendar will open an at the top left there is a check box marked "Flexible with dates". You need to check this box to see the calendar view. Once you have checked this box it will stay that way until you un-check it.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I’m just wondering. Why on the A350 they passed out cheap ... water bottles but on my A330 to Bali I got Evian 😂
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I’m just wondering. Why on the A350 they passed out cheap ... water bottles but on my A330 to Bali I got Evian 😂
Maybe it depends on what is available for catering in the outport. I know I have seen different stuff ex-Europe and ex-USA on the same airline...
windchaser777 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
CX award on QF over 330 days out, can I call AK?

I see availability on QF for a RT award, the return segment is over 330 days out still.
Do I have to wait till 330 days to call AK or can I call them with the specifics now?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by donnyb
I see availability on QF for a RT award, the return segment is over 330 days out still.
Do I have to wait till 330 days to call AK or can I call them with the specifics now?
No even on one way you cannot book outside the window on a connecting segment. Second if its not on the AS site you wont be able to book it. QF booking window is much shorter for some reason so you probably wont even be able to book a one way award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.