Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Likely due to the fact one cannot earn AS miles flying KA, thus awards not available on this CX sister airline. AA and BA do credit KA flights, thus can booked awards.
My BOLD. Good to know that. Thanks.
If I flew on CX codeshare (KA metal), would I earn AS credits?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by QT31415
Have done SEA-HKG-JNB on one ticket, CX first, whole family (5). One of my proudest moments lol.
Two things that are amazing: CX F HKG-JNB and for 5 pax!
I flew JNB-HKG 3x in recent years, CX didn't offer F.
tobikosan and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:51 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask this...
My wife and I have started to fly UK to NZ and back once or twice a year. We don't fly anywhere else long haul. CX J is convenient and comfortable, have been generally paying about £3.5k cash per return ticket and crediting the miles to AAdvantage.
But Alaska's program seems better for us for earning and redeeming: 225% mileage earnt for flying J, and only 70k total redemption each way for LHR-HKG-AKL whether you stopover or not, whereas Aadvantage gives only about 125%-165% (depending on whether Gold status) and costs at least 85k redemption each way, more with a stopover.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't join Mileage Plan and credit future paid flights to that instead ? Any material drawbacks vs Aadvantage, for someone who is accruing miles through paid CX tickets rather than credit card sign ups or simply buying miles ? Can Alaska "see" the same award availability that AA can ?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by warberry
I hope this is the right place to ask this...
My wife and I have started to fly UK to NZ and back once or twice a year. We don't fly anywhere else long haul. CX J is convenient and comfortable, have been generally paying about £3.5k cash per return ticket and crediting the miles to AAdvantage.
But Alaska's program seems better for us for earning and redeeming: 225% mileage earnt for flying J, and only 70k total redemption each way for LHR-HKG-AKL whether you stopover or not, whereas Aadvantage gives only about 125%-165% (depending on whether Gold status) and costs at least 85k redemption each way, more with a stopover.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't join Mileage Plan and credit future paid flights to that instead ? Any material drawbacks vs Aadvantage, for someone who is accruing miles through paid CX tickets rather than credit card sign ups or simply buying miles ? Can Alaska "see" the same award availability that AA can ?

Many thanks.
LHR-HKG-AKL is two awards on CX. You can do North America to/from AU, ME, SA, SE Asia on one award, but not Europe. Also HKG-AKL is a very difficult route to find award space on.

Alaska Award Chart for Partners

James
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
LHR-HKG-AKL is two awards on CX. You can do North America to/from AU, ME, SA, SE Asia on one award, but not Europe. Also HKG-AKL is a very difficult route to find award space on.

Alaska Award Chart for Partners

James
You are correct that it is two awards, but the OP is only slightly out for the points required. It is 42,500 LHR/HKG and 30,000 for HKG/AKL both in J, so a total of 72,500.

I agree that HKG/AKL will be almost impossible to find in J, AKL/HKG is slightly better for some reason.

OP - you might be able to get this strategy to work if you are very flexible with your dates, are prepared to do a stopover in HKG, and are willing to book the HKG/AKL sector in PE and then hope that J seats become available.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:58 am

Yes, sorry, 72.5k not 70k.
Can be flexible on dates, also happy to look at HKG-CHC-HKG.
What I was really asking though was whether there is any reason why I shouldn't switch from Aadvantage to Alaska Mileage Plan for future accrual, since the earning and redemption rates both seem better for my typical travel ?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by allset2travel
My BOLD. Good to know that. Thanks.
If I flew on CX codeshare (KA metal), would I earn AS credits?
No it needs to be CX metal
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minz56
You are correct that it is two awards, but the OP is only slightly out for the points required. It is 42,500 LHR/HKG and 30,000 for HKG/AKL both in J, so a total of 72,500.

I agree that HKG/AKL will be almost impossible to find in J, AKL/HKG is slightly better for some reason.

OP - you might be able to get this strategy to work if you are very flexible with your dates, are prepared to do a stopover in HKG, and are willing to book the HKG/AKL sector in PE and then hope that J seats become available.
The issue with two awards is that there will be double the change/cancellation fees should the OP need to change or cancel the itinerary. Furthermore, the second award is not protected. While you could book PE on the second award, if J did open, the change fee would be in effect incurring the $125.00 fee per passenger, whereas a two segment itinerary on one award booked J & PE could be upgraded to the cabin you "paid" for without fees.

Yes, sorry, 72.5k not 70k.
Can be flexible on dates, also happy to look at HKG-CHC-HKG.
What I was really asking though was whether there is any reason why I shouldn't switch from Aadvantage to Alaska Mileage Plan for future accrual, since the earning and redemption rates both seem better for my typical travel ?
Without MVPG+ status, you would be subject to a $125 change fee if a change or cancellation was needed. However, in your particular case where you are flying LHR-HKG-AKL twice yearly in paid CX Business Class, thanks to the 25% COS bonus which is also EQM towards status, you would reach MVPG Elite Status after your second trip. Once attaining MVPG you would, as a benefit, have waived change & cancellation fees. Here is the EQM & RDM for CX Business. As you can see, as an MVPG, you would accrue enough RDM, 75,933 miles, for a one-way award on your route for each paid return.

To attain Elite Status with AS there is no requirement to fly on AS Metal. If attaining status other than solely on AS metal, MVP requires 25,000 EQM, MVPG 50,000 EQM and MVPG75K 90,000 EQM. If you start to accrue through Mileage Plan the RDM start to add up quickly. MVP earns a 50% Elite RDM bonus (on the base miles) over and above the EQM & RDM earned on the flight. MVPG earns a 100% bonus and MVPG75K earns a 125% bonus. With no status, your first credit to Mileage Plan would yield 52,566 RDM. More importantly, with the 25% Class of Service Bonus (unlike SQ, which has none) the 23,364 miles flown would generate 29,205 EQM. With a requirement of 25,000 for MVP you would attain MVP status after your first return. Now that you have MVP status your second return flight would yield 64,251 RDM. Again, more importantly, the 25% Class of Service Bonus would generate another 29,205 EQM for a total of 58,410; more than enough to attain MVPG. This is the sweet spot where change and cancellation fees are waived as a benefit.

Once you attain MVPG subsequent paid CX J returns on that route would would yield 75,933 miles. If you continue to fly twice yearly in paid CX J you would maintain MVPG and continue to earn 75,933 RDM per return trip.

Just some thoughts for you to consider. Finnair would also be an option to HKG (although 60K for Business and higher fees) and CX HKG to BNE, SYD & MEL will get you close too.

James
tobikosan and williwaw like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
just my opinion, if you can afford to fly twice a year in J class on CX lounge haul, you probably better off trying to find a program that can earn oneworld emerald status which gets you into first class lounge.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pbd456
just my opinion, if you can afford to fly twice a year in J class on CX lounge haul, you probably better off trying to find a program that can earn oneworld emerald status which gets you into first class lounge.
AS status also isn’t going to do a thing for you if your itinerary goes pear-shaped compared to a oneworld status or CX status. It’s probably going to be OK for earning, just realize that. Oh, and if OP reads the threads... AS getting CX availability compared to BA/JL/QF is a bunch of ?????. Maybe it will work, maybe OP will end up with miles that can’t be spent when they want to spend them. Acquiring Avios would mean very good availability for BA shorthaul, JL, CX, AY, QF, QR and everyone going Europe-AKL. Not as favorable an earn chart and would spend more, but IMO AS is a terrible plan for someone based in Europe unless there is very high confidence that availability will always be there on a particular redemption pattern- European options are the worst of all the majors IMO. It’s not designed as a mileage piggy bank like BD was.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 3, 2019 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:28 pm

Not too bothered about lounges, a shower and a visit to the noodle bar is all I ask for and CX business ones are fine for that. Also have Amex Platinum / Priority Pass for when flying economy short haul (which is all charter or budget airlines within Europe anyway...)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Oh, and if OP reads the threads... AS getting CX availability compared to BA/JL/QF is a bunch of ?????. Maybe it will work, maybe OP will end up with miles that can’t be spent when they want to spend them. Acquiring Avios would mean very good availability for BA shorthaul, JL, CX, AY, QF, QR and everyone going Europe-AKL.
Is that to do with BA/JL/QF program members being able to book reward seats further out ? That really bugs me with aadvantage, that other programs have access earlier.

Edit - wow, have just checked what the deal is with Avios. Would only get 125% of miles flown in J, with no tier bonus, and redemptions LHR-HKG-AKL and back on my typical dates would be... 360,000 miles plus about £600. Basically it would take me 10 paid return trips to earn one free one, whereas with Aadvantage and Gold status it's about 5 or 6 depending on stopovers, and with Mileage Plan it would be... just 2.

Last edited by warberry; Feb 3, 2019 at 7:51 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:32 pm

p.s. thanks everyone for your input so far, especially James for the explanation and number crunching.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In which program will two long-haul J tix on CX earn OW Emerald?
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
maybe OP will end up with miles that can’t be spent when they want to spend them
After piling up 160k AS miles very quickly, this is my concern. Based on the lack of availability I'm seeing, value of AS miles seems to be seriously overrated.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 3, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Is that to do with BA/JL/QF program members being able to book reward seats further out ? That really bugs me with aadvantage, that other programs have access earlier.

Edit - wow, have just checked what the deal is with Avios. Would only get 125% of miles flown in J, with no tier bonus, and redemptions LHR-HKG-AKL and back on my typical dates would be... 360,000 miles plus about £600. Basically it would take me 10 paid return trips to earn one free one, whereas with Aadvantage and Gold status it's about 5 or 6 depending on stopovers, and with Mileage Plan it would be... just 2.
It’s not just that. At best what shows on the award search engines is a crapshoot in what you can book with AS miles. Go read the threads, you will see complaints that “BA has seats, AS can’t see them”. Sometimes it’s vice versa, but the reality is you can’t count on it.

Certainly up to you, and maybe you can make it work, but don’t assume what you see on BA/JL/QF = what you can book on AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.