Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Sorry, AS doesn’t allow North America-HKG-Europe as one award on CX. I did fly to Europe like this once, but paid the 140K for F.

Also someone above said that if BA isn’t showing, it’s not available. I wouldn’t only rely on BA search. It can be wrong many times, and sometimes not show what’s actually available. I like to use and look both at the QF tool, and BA tool. The QF tool is much more user friendly and allows the calendar feature so you can actually find what days have F instead of doing it 5 days at a time on BA and clicking each individual day.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AS
Appreciate all the feedback; makes much more sense now. I think I'll split my trip into two seperate vacations; postpone my plans to fly CX first until late 2019/2020 for an intra-asia trip.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marco Polo Silver
Has CX award redemption changed in the last 5 years?

I know CX threads are a dime a dozen on this forum. Before you roll your eyes, I'm only asking if things have changed.
I have 3 pax trying to go East Coast US - Singapore, ideally December 20, 2019.

I booked J and F in 2006, 2010 and 2014. I was always able to book 330 days out. But last night, as the clock rolled over to T-330 from my desired departure, nothing is available. Also nothing T-300, T-270, T-240, etc. Nothing from IAD, nothing from SEA, nothing from NYC. I also don't see anything on AsiaMiles.com, AA, JAL, etc.

Is CX no longer releasing seats at T-330? Is the game played differently now?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joelpat
I know CX threads are a dime a dozen on this forum. Before you roll your eyes, I'm only asking if things have changed.
I have 3 pax trying to go East Coast US - Singapore, ideally December 20, 2019.

I booked J and F in 2006, 2010 and 2014. I was always able to book 330 days out. But last night, as the clock rolled over to T-330 from my desired departure, nothing is available. Also nothing T-300, T-270, T-240, etc. Nothing from IAD, nothing from SEA, nothing from NYC. I also don't see anything on AsiaMiles.com, AA, JAL, etc.

Is CX no longer releasing seats at T-330? Is the game played differently now?

Thanks.
CX had an error fare for F & J which they honoured. Good luck finding award space from anywhere in the USA to anyehere this year. You might find something at the T-14 day mark but most seats are already sold.

James
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
CX had an error fare for F & J which they honoured. Good luck finding award space from anywhere in the USA to anyehere this year. You might find something at the T-14 day mark but most seats are already sold.

James
Is this confirmed or a rumor?
*edit* I know of the error fare, asking about the results
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Is this confirmed or a rumor?
*edit* I know of the error fare, asking about the results
i dont think anyone can confirm a decision made by revenue management unless you strangle Patricia*.
However, i dont see a reason why they would sell the last available seat(s) to AS awards when they have yet to sell a full fare.

also, they have only released seats 1-by-1 to non oneworld partners lately

*Patricia Huang is CX’s GM or Revenue Management who is also behind their ad campaigns. she is also our bashing target on the cx forum
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Besides any possible tightening of availability after the mistake fares, CX made some significant changes to redemptions through their own program last year that seemed to affect availability for everyone else as well.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Besides any possible tightening of availability after the mistake fares, CX made some significant changes to redemptions through their own program last year that seemed to affect availability for everyone else as well.
So, is the long and short of it that I should just write off CX for Awards to Asia (if I want to book more than a month or two in advance)? I'm on the east coast, so I have the option of Emirates for a lot more miles, and for the first time I've seen FinnAir as an option. I'm hoping to book JAL for the trip home, because my daughter wants to stop in Tokyo for a few days.

I just spoke to a booking agent for AA who was very knowledgeable. He said he books tons of CX award flights, and if CX was tightening up as a result of the New Years fiasco he would have heard about it. FWIW.

Last edited by joelpat; Jan 24, 2019 at 7:21 pm Reason: adding more info
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:35 pm

I observed that after the first class mistake fare incident, first class inventory for many JFK flights have become F1 or F0. (when they are usually F6 or F5)
I don't know if people actually bought that many Cathay first class tickets, or if Cathay's revenue management team decided to reduce first class inventory after the incident for whatever reason, but the reduction in first class inventory definitely happened after the mistake fare incident.
I suppose this is resulting in problems not just for award tickets but also for revenue tickets.
CX really should have not honored the mistake fare.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
The error fare does not effect flights that are now being released. You can't book revenue seats more than 331 days in advance.

Cathay very reliably releases 1F and 4J, but they release them at 360 (or is it 355?) days out. By the time AS fliers can book them, many seats will be taken by BA, CX and QF fliers, that have a month lead time.

I fly CX F or J to Hong Kong every Christmas for the past five years, I have noticed no difference. Just be a little flexible on dates, and I've always had luck.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The error fare does not effect flights that are now being released. You can't book revenue seats more than 331 days in advance.

Cathay very reliably releases 1F and 4J, but they release them at 360 (or is it 355?) days out. By the time AS fliers can book them, many seats will be taken by BA, CX and QF fliers, that have a month lead time.

I fly CX F or J to Hong Kong every Christmas for the past five years, I have noticed no difference. Just be a little flexible on dates, and I've always had luck.
Actually, that is a good point on the revenue ticket sales window, I had not considered that. I am not one to book 3xx days out. I have booked 6 CX awards 3J, 3F; 3 Australia, 2 South Africa & 1 SE Asia, in the last year and a bit with 4-3 months out being average. I also booked a CX J MEL-HKG for 30K but added HKG-LAX F 2 months later with a 2 month stopover.

I am currently in the air flying JL6 F HND-JFK that I booked 10 days ago. I am using the free stopover in the US and will continue the award in March. A little off topic but only 4 in F today, everyone at the windows. Everyone got the suite across the isle for their bed, while the window suite is available for lounging & dining. The complimentary wifi in F is a nice touch too.

Happy flying, good luck to everyone on their searches.

James
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:57 am

Overnight the availability through AsiaMiles has improved. There are now some seats, but Alaska still doesn't have them. So maybe there's hope.
We build up a lot of miles flying transcon on Alaska, but if I can't use my miles to fly transpac anymore, or I can't get seats for my family of three, I have to question the value of staying with them. We've flirted with leaving for another carrier, this might do it.

Last edited by joelpat; Jan 25, 2019 at 6:59 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Overnight the availability through AsiaMiles has improved. There are now some seats, but Alaska still doesn't have them. So maybe there's hope.
We build up a lot of miles flying transcon on Alaska, but if I can't use my miles to fly transpac anymore, or I can't get seats for my family of three, I have to question the value of staying with them. We've flirted with leaving for another carrier, this might do it.
You're in for a huge surprise if you think switching to another airline is suddenly going to make it a lot easier to get seats for a family of three.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: hahaha
Kinda related, but I didn't want to make a new thread. I have BA Avios to burn and I'm looking for short haul flights from HKG to HAN/SGN in Jan 2020 in Y...and in my past experience I have to wait T-355. Is that still the case?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by asovse1
Kinda related, but I didn't want to make a new thread. I have BA Avios to burn and I'm looking for short haul flights from HKG to HAN/SGN in Jan 2020 in Y...and in my past experience I have to wait T-355. Is that still the case?
You're in the AS forum, so this isn't related at all. You'd be better off asking in the BA forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.