Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by joelpat
I know CX threads are a dime a dozen on this forum.
We actually try and consolidate to a thread so they are NOT a dime a dozen.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...019-later.html
jinglish and wolfpacktrojan like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: hahaha
Omg I'm so sorry everybody, for some reason my computer keeps using the mobile skin, and I still haven't figured out what forum I'm in...ever! I should get around to fixing that, but I'm sorry for assuming wrong. Cheers!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by MAH4546
You're in for a huge surprise if you think switching to another airline is suddenly going to make it a lot easier to get seats for a family of three.
Agree that availability for 3 seats will be challenging regardless of program (though I think some will still be better than the AS partner group). But the OP's point may be that higher AS earnings on TCON flights, relative to US3, are of little value if you can't redeem for any awards you want. In that case you might well switch to another carrier even if award availability isn't better, as long as it has better network, schedule, prices, partners, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by milypan
Agree that availability for 3 seats will be challenging regardless of program (though I think some will still be better than the AS partner group). But the OP's point may be that higher AS earnings on TCON flights, relative to US3, are of little value if you can't redeem for any awards you want. In that case you might well switch to another carrier even if award availability isn't better, as long as it has better network, schedule, prices, partners, etc.
I think OP's biggest issue is looking for 3 J or F seats near Christmas, which is obviously a difficult time to find any sort of award availability. This may have been doable in the past, but with people earning and burning miles more than ever, it's no longer an easy thing to accomplish. Regardless of program, what is most important is flexibility. Flexibility doesn't mean you're able to move your departure date 2 or 3 days during the holidays; it means you're willing to travel when nobody else is. I realize this is not a luxury that everyone can afford with families, limited vacation days, etc., but I really don't think its worth playing the miles/points game if the only times you can travel are peak periods.

Obviously, OP should try whatever works for their situation and see if things are rosier with another carrier, but I'll take higher earnings on AS any day of the week because I am confident I can redeem the miles.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by wolfpacktrojan; Jan 25, 2019 at 3:26 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I got our family of five in on the CX exVN fare and so needed awards for us to get over there the week before thanksgiving and then back around Jan 3-4 since we’re using these to go to Asia for both thanksgiving and christmas. As a resukt, ive been scouring for CX and JL availability both around Nov 21-22 from US-SGN and then from Asia to US around Jan 3-4, for 5 pax all in biz.
I initially found nothing, but over time CX opened up 4 biz seats on all 3 YVR-HKG flights one day and both YVR-HKG flight the next day. So we have bounced around from 3 on one plane and 2 on another to 4 on one plane and 1 on the other. Booked YVR-HKG and then maybe a week later the HKG-SGN seats opened, again only 3 or 4 per flight but better than nothing. Still hoping one more biz award opens on the other flight but not holding my breath. Funny thing is there is nobody else on any of these flights according to seat maps and they are all J9-I9

For Jan 3-4, ouch that seems to be slim pickings. Oddly, those dates weren’t bookable on Dec 31 when the error fare was live so its not that things are booked solid. I think CX is holding back on these. Good news is there are a couple of decent asia to US one way cash fares that we can use if need be. And we have AA miles we could use on India to US on either Qatar or Royal Jordanian if it came down to that. But I suspect the years past (we’ve been doing this for 8+ years on CX) of easy NEw Years returns on CX may not be a thing this year.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I think indeed that there is less availability in first, and that AS has pulled availability for first class seats post-error fare. I can’t find anything in first until January. Normally there are seats here and there, but now there is nothing.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingislove
I think indeed that there is less availability in first, and that AS has pulled availability for first class seats post-error fare. I can’t find anything in first until January. Normally there are seats here and there, but now there is nothing.
AS doesn't pull the availability. It's CX's availability.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Is there a way to automatically track CX award availability or upgrade of award scenarios (like have PE looking for J or have J looking for F to open up}?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AS doesn't pull the availability. It's CX's availability.
CX, not AS. You're correct, my typo. Does anyone see otherwise? I've checked on the BA site.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:10 am

I can't find any intra-asia award availability at all. I'm looking ~300 days out (Enough time for CX to release to partners) but BA tool doesn't show anything. AS agent couldn't find anything either. I have my leg SFO-HGK secured but I was hoping for a second free leg in J to BKK (via AS stopover).

Anybody seeing any availability or knows what's going on?

Thanks,
Max
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zosch
I can't find any intra-asia award availability at all. I'm looking ~300 days out (Enough time for CX to release to partners) but BA tool doesn't show anything. AS agent couldn't find anything either. I have my leg SFO-HGK secured but I was hoping for a second free leg in J to BKK (via AS stopover).

Anybody seeing any availability or knows what's going on?

Thanks,
Max
Looks like it may be married segments. How many seats are you looking for? 300 days from now is November 24th. I can see indirectly two J on that date.

James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Data point: This morning a bunch of seats (both J and PE) opened up for the SEA-HKG flight I needed in May. Still don't have my HKG-DPS flight available yet (from what I've been searching those are closed off until about 30 days out), but I'll take what I can get.

Being 6'3" the 13 hour flight is much more important to me than the 5 hour flight.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Looks like it may be married segments. How many seats are you looking for? 300 days from now is November 24th. I can see indirectly two J on that date.

James
I'm arriving in Hong Kong on 12/19, planning to stay 2 days, and then fly from HGK to BKK on 12/21. However, for that last leg I can't seem to find any availability.

Thanks a lot for your response FlyingForFun
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by zosch
I'm arriving in Hong Kong on 12/19, planning to stay 2 days, and then fly from HGK to BKK on 12/21. However, for that last leg I can't seem to find any availability.

Thanks a lot for your response FlyingForFun
CX availability close to Christmas for BKK isn't always easy (protip: North Asia, Europe and Australia->Thailand::USA->Hawaii or Mexico, extremely popular as destinations during winter when lots of people have vacations).

Also, you're looking at 330 days out, not 300.

The problem is without elite status, you're looking at $125 to change the award. If you can get Y on the segment now you may be able to upgrade to J later. Also, worst case, it's not a terribly expensive ticket in Avios for J (or just as cash in Y).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX availability close to Christmas for BKK isn't always easy (protip: North Asia, Europe and Australia->Thailand::USA->Hawaii or Mexico, extremely popular as destinations during winter when lots of people have vacations).

Also, you're looking at 330 days out, not 300.

The problem is without elite status, you're looking at $125 to change the award. If you can get Y on the segment now you may be able to upgrade to J later. Also, worst case, it's not a terribly expensive ticket in Avios for J (or just as cash in Y).
Thanks for the input. I already called AS and the customer service rep actually said I'd just have to pay the fees, they would add the leg without the change fee (I was surprised myself). And yes, I'm looking 327 days out, you're right. From my understanding, that won't change though since CX already released what they want to release (Unless of course right before). I can't seem to find any award flights with Avios or I'm doing something wrong (Is there a different way of boking than looking on BA.com?)

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.