Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:28 pm

Has anyone issued infant (in lap) tickets on CX recently? What' the situation there? AS claim they cannot guarantee infant tickets, but they never really issued them, the operating airline always did (eg. nothing has changed). PM me if this is sensitive info please.

Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:48 pm

I'm interested in booking CX F next May for 2 pax from HKG to USA, hopefully on the same flight eventually. JFK would ideal, but ORD or BOS or even LAX would definitely work if necessary.

I know Cathay doesn't ever release 2 F seats when the schedule opens, but I had planned on booking 1 seat on 2 different flights and paying the $125 to change one.

Does anyone have any thoughts about which flights might be more likely to have another seat open later on or should I just take whatever I can get at 330 days and keep watching for another seat to open on one of the flights?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This used to be straightforward to get 2 seats in F.

No longer... maybe in 2020 this will again be the case.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
This used to be straightforward to get 2 seats in F.

No longer... maybe in 2020 this will again be the case.
Welp. Hope my betrothed enjoys F while I slum it in J . I wonder if I bring the crew enough chocolates that they might let me share a glass of krug with him at some point....

At least he can guest me into the FC lounges...right??
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Has anyone issued infant (in lap) tickets on CX recently? What' the situation there? AS claim they cannot guarantee infant tickets, but they never really issued them, the operating airline always did (eg. nothing has changed). PM me if this is sensitive info please.

Thanks.
In our case, that was true. So, we had to use miles for an extra seat (infant). We are flying from BCN - HKG this summer.

If anyone else has a similar or different experience, I am curious as well....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
At least he can guest me into the FC lounges...right??
Yes.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html

Regards
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

Thanks.
A few months ago we booked infant lap ticket on CX, just call CX after booking with alaska, if the agent doesn't know, it's the ticketing department. They will sell you the infant ticket. Since Alaska offers 24 hour cancellation, book your ticket, call CX right away and then get your lap infant ticket. If somehow it doesn't work you can cancel
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pmun
A few months ago we booked infant lap ticket on CX, just call CX after booking with alaska, if the agent doesn't know, it's the ticketing department. They will sell you the infant ticket. Since Alaska offers 24 hour cancellation, book your ticket, call CX right away and then get your lap infant ticket. If somehow it doesn't work you can cancel
Thanks. I can't book now, the infant is not even born yet lol
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks. I can't book now, the infant is not even born yet lol
Beware it can be expensive. We booked YYZ to HKG to KIX on PE when there was a "sale" and our infant lap ticket came out to about $350CAD. We originally booked a return NRT to HKG to JFK on PE and they were asking for $850CAD. We declined, cancelled the return and now we're flying back on AA where the infant lap ticket was under $200
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Beware it can be expensive. We booked YYZ to HKG to KIX on PE when there was a "sale" and our infant lap ticket came out to about $350CAD. We originally booked a return NRT to HKG to JFK on PE and they were asking for $850CAD. We declined, cancelled the return and now we're flying back on AA where the infant lap ticket was under $200
According to some bloggers CX charges 10% of an adult fare for a lap infant to most destinations -- except to/from the US where they charge 25% of the adult fare for a lap infant -- Ouch! Talk about discrimination.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:35 pm

Should be 10% of the adult fare which I checked. It's tolerable.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:58 pm

Should be 10% of the adult fare which I checked. It's tolerable.
Word is it is 25 percent to or from the US so be prepared.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Word is it is 25 percent to or from the US so be prepared.
I have HKG-Europe
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:26 am

I have HKG-Europe
You were replying to Pmun saying it should be 10% but Pmun was complaining about high surcharges to JFK which, according to posts online, has a 25% surcharge. My intent was to warn folks that it is not always 10% and they could be hit, as Pmun was, with a much higher 25% charge to or from the US for an infant ticket. Luckily you are not flying a 25% surcharge route but there are some out there.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You were replying to Pmun saying it should be 10% but Pmun was complaining about high surcharges to JFK which, according to posts online, has a 25% surcharge. My intent was to warn folks that it is not always 10% and they could be hit, as Pmun was, with a much higher 25% charge to or from the US for an infant ticket. Luckily you are not flying a 25% surcharge route but there are some out there.
It looks like currently CX only charges 10% adult base fare plus 100% YR on North America routes for infant lap tickets, but AA still charges 25% base fare. Better book with CX directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.