Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If you're going to match, later in the year (now-ish) I believe should give you status through 2020, but others may know for sure. Your earning this year qualifies you for status next year, so no need to hold off until 2020 to start earning, but correct, the count resets in January for status through 2021 (though being MVP or Gold for 2020 will help make the qualifying for 2021 a much nicer experience).
October 1st.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...t=Status+Match
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by creditcardmarauder
You can call AS or AA, or you can text AS, or you can DM AA or AS on Twitter and ask for the AS PNR. I DM'ed AA last night and they replied with my AS PNR within 5 minutes.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Concur with the Twitter suggestion. AA's Twitter folks are pretty quick to respond usually.
Thanks to both. Ended up doing a very quick call to AA with minimal wait time.

Waiting to connect at PDX at the moment
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by marvinho
Hi there, thanks for your reply. I do have United silver status (from Marriott). I was planning to do a status match with Alaska but I know it's only one-time and you mentioned MVP isn't worth much but that would be what I would match to from United Silver. Is there a specific time/period I should initiate the status match to give myself the longest amount of time to get to Gold (ad hopefully 75k) from MVP? From what I read, it's based on a calendar year period (Jan to Dec) so I should really only focus on flying (i.e. gaining AS miles) from Jan 2020 onwards? Is this the correct way of strategizing?

Side note: what are the general thoughts on the AS credit cards/companion fare? At first glance, the cards are not that attractive from the miles standpoint (full disclosure: I am not educated on the utility and value of AS miles) and the companion fare is one-time with a cost of $129 (?) which seems to pale in comparison to SW's companion pass.

Appreciate the useful insights and discussion.
The value of MVP is of course relative. I have had stretches where I am only MVP and my favorite benefits are: pretty consistently in my favorite seat in the exit row (17C) and free bags. PC upgrades can be pretty reliable too. But being Seattle based means upgrades are harder to F.

On the credit card - I have a handful of them from the churn era. As a family of four we use the companion tickets for Hawaii trips. Some on this forum really milk the value and have two-party mileage runs since the companion earns while flying too. In terms AS miles from the CC, I personally think Chase UR is worth more to me, but it depends on goals for use.

On the status match - be warned that I believe the match must be from an organic elite status, not a gifted one via CC. But I bellieve YMMV based on various reports (never hurts to ask!)
marvinho likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I would just add that a staus challenge, I believe, done before October 1st will expire December 31st of the same year. If done after that date, it will extend until the end of December the following year giving you up to 14 months of Status.

The status match doesn't give you a start towards the next tier, ie not cumulative. You will still need to fly the requisite miles in any calendar year to attain or maintain your status. Matching to MVP in October will still require flying 20K to maintain, 40K/75K to move up the elite levels in 2020 (solely on AS).

However, I wouldn't discount a status match, despite a one-time event, though. Once you are MVP you receive a 50% Elite RDM bonus on every flight so you would be earning a lot more RDM through the end of 2020 while you work towards requalification next year. If you attain MVPG next year all subsequent flights receive 100% Elite Bonus Miles. When reaching 75K the Elite Bonus escalates to 125% and you are given 50,000 RDM as a loyalty gift. The Elite Bonuses also apply to Partner flights.

On AS only flights with all the incremental Elite bonuses and 50K gift, starting at MVP, your total RDM earnings when reaching MVPG75K would be (40K × 1.5) + (35K × 2.0) + 50K = 180K Starting a year as an MVPG, 200K, as an MVPG75K, 218.75K.

All flight on AS & most Partners (CX and I think one other are actual miles flown) earn 500 EQM.

James

EDIT: The OP has UA Silver from Titanium Status or higher with Marriott, not from a CC. It may be treated differently if there is some activity on UA.
marvinho and williwaw like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Mile plan , Delta Medallion , United and AA
AS MVPG 75K... Are earning Miles over 75K wasted

I switched from AA Plat Exec a few years ago and ran down everything on AA on a status match to Alaska , have not regretted it since (with the exception of trying to use the actual award miles)...My question is I am 6k miles from retaining MVPG75K and will probably do that in the next month..is there any point continuing to earn miles on main AS (other then just getting more miles)
I have the option to switch to Delta and top the medallion status off and same with United

any thoughts welcome
regards
JPS
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jps_george
I switched from AA Plat Exec a few years ago and ran down everything on AA on a status match to Alaska , have not regretted it since (with the exception of trying to use the actual award miles)...My question is I am 6k miles from retaining MVPG75K and will probably do that in the next month..is there any point continuing to earn miles on main AS (other then just getting more miles)
I have the option to switch to Delta and top the medallion status off and same with United
There's no "rollover miles" like some other programs do, so anything above 75K AS metal isn't really helping you, other than on your quest to 1MM. Would suggest topping off one of the other programs if you'll be flying them somewhat consistently as well next year.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Mile plan , Delta Medallion , United and AA
Thanks Be_rettSea much appreciated rollover was the word I was thinking of I will just top of the others . I have a hefty mileage award balance but as I think others have mentioned elsewhere actually getting anything in business or first class on the partners appears to be an exercise in frustration on the AS website and impossible if you want to do a mix of miles and cash , any tricks tips advice on that would also greatly appreciated .

regards
JPS
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:37 pm

Help please :) - ticketing question

Delete

Last edited by mendezka; Aug 30, 2019 at 7:45 pm Reason: Delete
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I have a few questions about same day changes. Sorry if these questions are a bit basic. I got my status through a status match so I don't really know the finer details of the benefits.

- Some airlines only allow you to standby for an earlier flight. However from what I gather, at AS you can change to any flight, earlier or later as long as there space?

- Is a SDC permitted on an award ticket? If yes, does there have to award space available on the new flight in order to get the change?

Thank you!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:24 pm

Edit: Found the JL AS thread

Last edited by AlphonsoMango; Aug 17, 2019 at 4:37 pm
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:55 am

Using companion fare with flight operated by Skywest

I signed up for the Alaska Airlines credit card for the companion fare bonus. I'm looking to fly from DAL to OGG. The first leg is to PDX on a flight operated by Skywest. Will this itinerary work with the companion fare?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by synnyster
I signed up for the Alaska Airlines credit card for the companion fare bonus. I'm looking to fly from DAL to OGG. The first leg is to PDX on a flight operated by Skywest. Will this itinerary work with the companion fare?
Yes, if you look on the T&C of your companion code, it says:

Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and flights operated on behalf of Alaska Airlines by Sky West and Pen Air. Not valid on codeshare flights.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Furthermore, if you have your companion certificate code in before your search, only itineraries that it can be used on will be in the search results. AA codeshares, for instance will be filtered out. You will see the fare for the primary passenger and the fare for the companion below it including taxes.

James
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Did AS remove the "premium class waitlisted" line from flight details pages and just simplify it to say "first class waitlisted"?

I've only got 2 flights where I'm in standard coach currently, one if which is a W award fare where I noticed it only said "first class waitlisted". I thought maybe it was an oddity due to the saver award fare, but then I noticed a revenue flight in standard is also just stating "first class waitlisted".... anyone else see that, or am I somehow only on one list but not the other?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you buy a non-saver ticket through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, and then U space opens up, are you able to apply a GGU, or are you SOL since Alaska can't modify those tickets? And does it change if the UR portal issued the ticket in a fare bucket that's already eligible for a GGU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.