Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is up to a 50% Bonus (targeted), not a 50% off sale. It equates to a 33% discount. If your intention is to use the miles for yourself, you are probably okay but if you are booking awards for "friends & family" you are probably going to get flagged as a "broker" and have your account closed and miles confiscated for not adhering to authourized use of your account, especially if you have never flown with AS or any of it's partners and earned Miles organically.

If you are eligible for a 50% bonus on purchased miles then you could buy 90,000 miles at a cost of $1,773.75, which is ~1.97 cents per mile. The maximum number of miles you can purchase per transaction is 60,000 pre-bonus, and you can purchase a total of up to 150,000 miles per calendar year unless you have status with AS.

If you don't have an Alaska Airlines Mileage plan account you will need to open one and wait 10 days before you can purchase miles.
You're absolutley right!! It's not a 50% off (as much is a 30% off). Thanks for clearing it for me.
A few weeks ago I was offered a 40% off, Not 50%. I didn't take it.
I'm not interested in being a broker. Those miles would be just for me. About that risk I'm ok

Same at 24 months.
Buying miles count to renew my balance? Or just earn miles flying for ex. with LATAM (add Alaska FF number)

JL Yes.
CX No.

CX requires two awards to Europe. One award to Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Asia, South Asia & India and the Middle East. The region determine Mile requirments. You can click [url=https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/use-miles/award-charts]here to determine which Airline you can book an award on between two regions and how many miles are required.

All partners except LA & CX (no awards on SQ yet) can be booked online with or without a stopover. The former two require a call to AS.
Great info. Just because CX has a non-stop flight btw HKG-MXP I thought it could be taken as 1 award.

Thanks again for you time and clear answers!
I'd better wait for a 50% off offer and then make numbers
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sonny84
Buying miles count to renew my balance? Or just earn miles flying for ex. with LATAM (add Alaska FF number)
Alaska Mileage Plan Miles do not expire as long as you keep your account active. Keeping your account active is defined by Alaska Mileage Plan as earning or redeeming at least one mile in a 24-month period.

Any redemption within 2 years will reset your expiry date. You can also keep your account active by donating miles (1000 minimum) or making a purchase through the Alaska Airlines shopping portal. Holding the Bank of America Alaska Airline credit card will also keep your account active in perpetuity as long as you CC account remains open.

You shouldn't be purchasing miles to hold in your account anyway. It sometimes makes sense to purchase miles when you have a redemption in mind or are a few miles short but turning "real money" into a volatile "points currency" that has potential for massive devaluation, speculatively, is never recommended. Just ask those that found out in 2016, without notice, that the 100K miles they had to redeem an EK F award to Europe suddenly were 80K short of that same redemption the next day.

Originally Posted by Sonny84
Great info. Just because CX has a non-stop flight btw HKG-MXP I thought it could be taken as 1 award.

Thanks again for you time and clear answers!
I'd better wait for a 50% off offer and then make numbers
I think you are understanding the "bonus" offer but your terminology is incorrect. There is 0% "off" on the purchase. Your out of pocket remains the same for any Miles purchase. It is the bonus miles that make the cost per mile lower. Furthermore, the miles are tiered and the maximum bonus applies to the higher mile purchases. Miles are 2.75 cents each + tax and must be purchased in blocks of 1,000. For purchases below 10,000 miles there is never any bonus.

James
Sonny84 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
IIRC the reps can see what status you should be before it posts on your end, so it's worth calling after the qualifying flight to see if they can do it for you.
Just posting back for everyone's benefit. I called in and they were happy to change our tickets so we could fly into OAK instead. AS also offered to bus us over to SFO.

A side effect of this seems to be that we no longer show on the upgrade waitlist for our return ticket. Is it time to call in again? Has anyone else experienced this while doing a SDC?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:21 pm

Alaska Mileage Plan Miles do not expire as long as you keep your account active. Keeping your account active is defined by Alaska Mileage Plan as earning or redeeming at least one mile in a 24-month period.

Any redemption within 2 years will reset your expiry date. You can also keep your account active by donating miles (1000 minimum) or making a purchase through the Alaska Airlines shopping portal. Holding the Bank of America Alaska Airline credit card will also keep your account active in perpetuity as long as you CC account remains open.

You shouldn't be purchasing miles to hold in your account anyway. It sometimes makes sense to purchase miles when you have a redemption in mind or are a few miles short but turning "real money" into a volatile "points currency" that has potential for massive devaluation, speculatively, is never recommended. Just ask those that found out in 2016, without notice, that the 100K miles they had to redeem an EK F award to Europe suddenly were 80K short of that same redemption the next day.

I think you are understanding the "bonus" offer but your terminology is incorrect. There is 0% "off" on the purchase. Your out of pocket remains the same for any Miles purchase. It is the bonus miles that make the cost per mile lower. Furthermore, the miles are tiered and the maximum bonus applies to the higher mile purchases. Miles are 2.75 cents each + tax and must be purchased in blocks of 1,000. For purchases below 10,000 miles there is never any bonus.

James
Thanks again James.
You're I right. I got the idea but was talking inapropiate about the discount!
I live in Argentina. I know about devaluation and not only about our currency also about the chart (and dynamic charts) of FF here we had to deal with.

My idea with this program is to get to Asia from US with Cathay or JAL flying on First. or Get from HKG to MXP with CX First. I think any of those expierencie should be amazing.
Will keep an eye on this prgram and it's options!

Regards
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
After deplaning in SEA last night at C15 I was gazing out the window while waiting for some family from the back of the plane to catch up to me, and it struck me how many AS tails I saw with the old livery still on them parked at gates within view. I'm guessing the combination of summer travel & the delay of any planned Max deliveries has stalled, if not stopped, the repainting of the 737 fleet?

It's sort of remarkable how quickly the new livery has made an impact on my perception. When I saw the "old" livery pulling up to the gate in ORD I thought it looked "ancient"... just goes to show the impact of branding/marketing I guess

Last edited by nearlysober; Sep 16, 2019 at 5:34 pm Reason: 737 fleet, not 787 :)
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
After deplaning in SEA last night at C15 I was gazing out the window while waiting for some family from the back of the plane to catch up to me, and it struck me how many AS tails I saw with the old livery still on them parked at gates within view. I'm guessing the combination of summer travel & the delay of any planned Max deliveries has stalled, if not stopped, the repainting of the 787 fleet?

It's sort of remarkable how quickly the new livery has made an impact on my perception. When I saw the "old" livery pulling up to the gate in ORD I thought it looked "ancient"... just goes to show the impact of branding/marketing I guess
I agree! I was in SEA yesterday morning with a long layover. First time to the new N Lounge. The queue for departure was down past the N gates. The Old AS livery stuck out like a sore thumb and certainly looked ancient as you say.

I flew in from PHX yesterday on AS591. Surprisingly, not only was the flight non-stop but it was non-stop gate to gate. Scheduled departure was 5:55 am and we pushed back shortly before, taxied down the taxiway, turned onto the runway and took-off at 5:55 am without queuing or holding. We arrived in SEA at 8:33 am, 27 minutes early landing on 16R, exited the runway, crossed 16C & 16L, turned to the North and pulled into gate N12 without queuing or holding 8 minutes later. 10 minutes after touchdown, I was off the plane. That is a rarity.

James
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
After deplaning in SEA last night at C15
I sure am ready for the C train station to re-open!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS
Looks like AS got the second highest score for potable water on planes, as reported this morning. this is good news, only one regional airline scored higher for clean water.
Scored 3.30 out of 5.
(Delta put to shame on this one)
chillymac likes this.

Last edited by pcoll; Sep 18, 2019 at 4:51 pm
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
How does AS send out the GGU codes? I qualified a 10 days ago and don’t see anything in my mail/email.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Crackedhead
How does AS send out the GGU codes? I qualified a 10 days ago and don’t see anything in my mail/email.
The GGUs are deposited into your MP account when the qualifying status is processed. You can't see or utilize them from the APP. From a Desktop or full-site on your device, log into your account. Under "your account," on the left margin, follow down to "Guest Upgrades" and click on "Valid." Your GGUs will be listed there.

When you purchase an eligible fare with U space availability you will be given the opportunity to apply the GGUs, after purchasing the Main fare. Upon application you can return to the reservation and choose your F seat. Also, remember that if you have connections, a single GGU will upgrade all segments that have U availability and the connection times are four hours or less.

James
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Anyone have any data points on exactly how many miles BUR/PDX route earns after posting? Booking shows 817 miles each way, but in my experience, those are usually off by a few miles each (why they don't list the distance there the same as they credit miles is an entirely different discussion which drives me insane - ie DCA/LAX shows 2304 but earns 2311). I'm currently short 22 miles to Gold w/ my planned travel for 2019, so wondering if I should plan to add another quick hop somewhere to push me over or if the difference in crediting will push me over. I'm sure AS would bump me up at the end of the year if I asked, but prefer to earn organically so they don't see it as "comped" status / I can ask for a future "favor" without them showing this as one they'd given already.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
The odds of a single flight being off by 22 miles doesn't seem too likely. Milecalc.com also shows it at 817 and that site is not usually off by much.

You might be able to check the cost to upfare an existing segment to M or B for the extra earnings. That might be more cost effectively (and definitely more time effective) than a mileage run.

But I also wouldn't worry about burning a future favor with AS - this is the perfect example of when you'll need an assist. Such a small gap, how likely is it that you'll be in this situation again in the future? And even if you are, you could just correct it then by upfaring or a mileage run. Even if you "only get one" - which I'm not sure they track? - why keep a favor in your back pocket forever and potentially never use it?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
The odds of a single flight being off by 22 miles doesn't seem too likely. Milecalc.com also shows it at 817 and that site is not usually off by much.

You might be able to check the cost to upfare an existing segment to M or B for the extra earnings. That might be more cost effectively (and definitely more time effective) than a mileage run.

But I also wouldn't worry about burning a future favor with AS - this is the perfect example of when you'll need an assist. Such a small gap, how likely is it that you'll be in this situation again in the future? And even if you are, you could just correct it then by upfaring or a mileage run. Even if you "only get one" - which I'm not sure they track? - why keep a favor in your back pocket forever and potentially never use it?
Eh, upfaring to M/B is ~$200 more for either direction (more than the cost of the entire R/T in R as currently booked). I'll see what I might be able to add in terms of another quick trip somewhere, find a cheaper MR, or just suck it up and ask AS to bump me over if needed.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Anyone have any data points on exactly how many miles BUR/PDX route earns after posting? Booking shows 817 miles each way, but in my experience, those are usually off by a few miles each (why they don't list the distance there the same as they credit miles is an entirely different discussion which drives me insane - ie DCA/LAX shows 2304 but earns 2311). I'm currently short 22 miles to Gold w/ my planned travel for 2019, so wondering if I should plan to add another quick hop somewhere to push me over or if the difference in crediting will push me over. I'm sure AS would bump me up at the end of the year if I asked, but prefer to earn organically so they don't see it as "comped" status / I can ask for a future "favor" without them showing this as one they'd given already.
How about changing to LAX/PDX instead? That would give you an extra 17 miles each way.🙂
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Booking shows 817 miles each way, but in my experience, those are usually off by a few miles each
BUR-PDX indeed earns 817
LAX-PDX earns 834

I fly both of those pretty regularly and that's what I earn.

PDX-ONT shows 838 on the AS site, but I haven't flown it yet.

Easiest ways to get yourself over the bump are probably add an extra segment somewhere (SEA-PDX is easy to add, or PDX-SFO-LAX) or buy an M or B fare.

(ETA: I think there's something funny about how they calculate LAX to the east coast that adds 7 miles when they credit vs. advertised. LAX-BOS shows 2604 in your cart but earns 2611, LAX-IAD shows 2281 but earns 2288, and you show a 7 mile difference for LAX-DCA. I haven't flown LAX-BWI to know what it earns. The north-south routes up the coast seem to earn what they show in your cart)
samosa and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by chrisl137; Sep 29, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.