Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:19 pm

If I buy a ticket as MVP, but reach MVPG before flying, then can I change/cancel the ticket for free?

I'll qualify for MVPG in December and am looking at flights for Jan 2020. Wonder if the MVPG benefit can apply to already purchased tickets.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ezak
If I buy a ticket as MVP, but reach MVPG before flying, then can I change/cancel the ticket for free?

I'll qualify for MVPG in December and am looking at flights for Jan 2020. Wonder if the MVPG benefit can apply to already purchased tickets.

Thanks in advance!
Yes
ezak likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bon mot
Yes
And to add onto that, you can cancel a ticket prior to achieving Gold and defer the change fee. Once you're Gold and ready to use the canceled ticket, the change fee will be waived.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:25 pm

Emirates has a ton of award space in business but none of the flights im looking for show up on alaska's website so I can't even price them out

Is this normal? Can you no longer book emirates with alaska? Can you call and book flights you see on emirates website?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:44 pm

I booked a flight on Alaska Airlines metal (simply seattle to anchorage oneway), using British Airways Avios.

Till a few years ago, you could call Alaska and have them add the alaska mileage number to the booking. AlaskaAir then stopped allowing it from their end.
So then, i used to be able to call up British Airways and have them add my alaska airlines number to the booking, which let me pick preferred seats and such.

But looks like over the last month or so, this seems to no longer be allowed either by calling british airways, or calling alaska airlines, or through ba.com or through alaskaair.com
Is there some workaround left?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: United 1P
After purchasing or sharing from a friend Alaska miles, when will these miles be available for redemption? Thank you!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I booked a flight on Alaska Airlines metal (simply seattle to anchorage oneway), using British Airways Avios.

Till a few years ago, you could call Alaska and have them add the alaska mileage number to the booking. AlaskaAir then stopped allowing it from their end.
So then, i used to be able to call up British Airways and have them add my alaska airlines number to the booking, which let me pick preferred seats and such.

But looks like over the last month or so, this seems to no longer be allowed either by calling british airways, or calling alaska airlines, or through ba.com or through alaskaair.com
Is there some workaround left?
Deleted

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 10, 2019 at 11:11 am
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:36 pm

Y, z, s, b, m, h, q, l, v, n, k, g, t, r, w.

Fare class: : Y, Z, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V, N, K, G, T, R, W.
is the above an accurate ordering of all economy fare basis current as of today? Thanks to all for you time
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich
is the above an accurate ordering of all economy fare basis current as of today? Thanks to all for you time
It looks correct to me, other than Saver X. They do work, however, in conjunction with other fare buckets with the added restrictions.

Z, N & W are award buckets, the remainder are in descending revenue fare buckets.

Y is full fare refundable as is a Z award.

Y, S, have a 50% Class of Service Bonus (COS) and are eligible fares for immediate upgrade to First with U space availability for MVP, MVPG & MVPG75K Elites as is a Z award.

B, M, have a 25% COS bonus and are eligible fares for immediate upgrade to First with U space availability for MVPG & MVPG75K Elites.

H does not have a COS Bonus but is an eligible fare for immeditate upgrade into First with U availability for MVPG75K Elites.

K is the lowest fare bucket that a GGU can be applied to for immediate upgrade into First with U availability. Since GGUs can be gifted, they can be used by anyone with a GGU regardless of Status.

A GGU can also be applied to higher fare buckets such as Q, L & V for anyone. Elites would receive a complimentary immediate upgrade based on status and a GGU would no longer be required. An MVP for instance could upgrade with a GGU on an H fare whereas an MVPG75K would be upgraded without it as H is an eligible fare for MVPG75K Elites.

Below K are the cheaper non-Saver fares.

For Elites, immediate upgrade to Premium class at time of booking follows: MVP can only upgrade themselves while MVPG & MVPG75K can upgrade themselves and one companion in the same PNR.

MVP: Y, Z, S & B fares
MVPG: Y, Z, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V, N or K fares
MVPG75K Any non Saver X fare.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS
Wow, James. thank you for laying it out for us.
making a copy of this to keep on hand.
Three Gold Stars for You!!
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by pcoll; Oct 11, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:47 pm

Thanks James!!!!

I want to echo that sentiment!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:01 am

Hi All,

New to this thread. I've a burning question as this will determine if I qualify for MVP by end 2019. I've an upcoming flight X Class on JAL
SGN-NRT, operated and marketed by JAL
NRT-LAX, operated and marketed by JAL
LAX-ORD, operated by AA, marketed by JAL

Understood that it clearly said that the flight has to be marketed and operated by Japan Airlines (right in my face), but just trying to see if there is any "successful" case where the EQMs for AA domestic flight with JL code credited with EQMs. The flight happened to be JL7520 which is under JL flight code.

Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Japan Airlines.
Eligible flight numbers
0001–8999

Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by pocky87
Hi All,

New to this thread. I've a burning question as this will determine if I qualify for MVP by end 2019. I've an upcoming flight X Class on JAL
SGN-NRT, operated and marketed by JAL
NRT-LAX, operated and marketed by JAL
LAX-ORD, operated by AA, marketed by JAL

[...]
In the case of an AA domestic flight, it is not eligible to earn in MP no matter who marketed the flight. Domestic AA flights that are codeshared with AS are eligible but you need to be flying on an AS flight number. There are no codeshares on LAX-ORD as AS flies that route.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by writetorich
This is a good resource for these questions too: https://cwsi.net/alaska.htm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Ok looking at getting MVP before the end of this year for the first time. A listed benefit of MVP is "Access to preferred seating"? What is is that? As a non-MVP when I book I see there is 3 types of seating, first class, premium economy and economy. Usually I book a standard economy ticket (non-saver). So what exactly is it referring to with preferred seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.