Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with all those GGU's?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QT31415
Maybe it's just SEA - between the two of us, we had 24 last year, and since we usually buy the "cheap" seats and hope for 75k upgrades, these GGU go unused. Like many on here, I'm not going to pay for a U class when there's no U availability at time of booking. Surely Alaska is going to figure that out someday?
We had 26 GGUs last year between us and were able to use them all. I too won't buy eligible fares unless there is U space available for immediate upgrades but happy to purchase eligible fares when I can as I am usually using a companion certificate. Since the companion ticket is always $99 Base fare, you are only upfaring one ticket for both to use GGUs. I used 4 last month for Hawaii the second week of December. I prefer to know I am upgraded than play the upgrade game especially when there is 2 pax on the PNR.

We are currently on a Mileage Run, 16.5K miles, 9 flights, 4 days, 75K ×2 on a companion certificate. When I booked there was no U space so I just selected the cheapest segments that worked. So far we have been upgraded on 5 of the 7 flights we have already checked in for, all of which were upgraded between T-48 to T-26.

James
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
We had 26 GGUs last year between us and were able to use them all. I too won't buy eligible fares unless there is U space available for immediate upgrades but happy to purchase eligible fares when I can as I am usually using a companion certificate. Since the companion ticket is always $99 Base fare, you are only upfaring one ticket for both to use GGUs. I used 4 last month for Hawaii the second week of December. I prefer to know I am upgraded than play the upgrade game especially when there is 2 pax on the PNR.

We are currently on a Mileage Run, 16.5K miles, 9 flights, 4 days, 75K ×2 on a companion certificate. When I booked there was no U space so I just selected the cheapest segments that worked. So far we have been upgraded on 5 of the 7 flights we have already checked in for, all of which were upgraded between T-48 to T-26.

James
Sir, you seem super knowledgable.
I have 1 GGU Code (gift by friend). I also have 1 Companion Certificate. How can i book the cheapest 2 First Class fares from EWR to SFO?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:51 pm

Unfortunately you can't use a companion certificate (any more) to buy one first class ticket, and get the other one for the companion fee. If you were or are MVPG, you can search for U space with the MVPG upgrade filter, and if U space is available for two, you can get a confirmed upgrade for two, the trick being that you must be MVPG, as one companion in the same record can be upgraded with the MVPG member. You buy the ticket and companion as a coach class fare and the upgrade, assuming U space is available, is processed at the time of purchase. With only one GGU code, and without MVPG status, I don't think this is enough to get two people upgraded. You could search for U space with the GGU filter, and buy the other ticket as a first class fare.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by drseagrass
Unfortunately you can't use a companion certificate (any more) to buy one first class ticket, and get the other one for the companion fee. If you were or are MVPG, you can search for U space with the MVPG upgrade filter, and if U space is available for two, you can get a confirmed upgrade for two, the trick being that you must be MVPG, as one companion in the same record can be upgraded with the MVPG member. You buy the ticket and companion as a coach class fare and the upgrade, assuming U space is available, is processed at the time of purchase. With only one GGU code, and without MVPG status, I don't think this is enough to get two people upgraded. You could search for U space with the GGU filter, and buy the other ticket as a first class fare.
OP can use miles to upgrade if no status. There’s an older thread about splitting the upgrade method between an MVP instant and GGU/miles for the companion. Should work the same for a GGU and miles. Since both pax will need to be upgraded together, find U space for two, choose Miles as the upgrade method in the advanced search, purchase, and call Reservations to apply Miles and the GGU.

Will need 45,000 miles for 3 upgrades, so if the OP has to purchase that entire amount, particularly if there isn’t a sale bonus, should probably look at cash fares for comparison and tossing the companion code or just go in coach.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rustykettel

OP can use miles to upgrade if no status. There’s an older thread about splitting the upgrade method between an MVP instant and GGU/miles for the companion. Should work the same for a GGU and miles. Since both pax will need to be upgraded together, find U space for two, choose Miles as the upgrade method in the advanced search, purchase, and call Reservations to apply Miles and the GGU.

Will need 45,000 miles for 3 upgrades, so if the OP has to purchase that entire amount, particularly if there isn’t a sale bonus, should probably look at cash fares for comparison and tossing the companion code or just go in coach.
i'm MVP. does it help any way? I have 4k miles. not much. so i dont want to upgrade with miles.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platinumorwhat
i'm MVP. does it help any way? I have 4k miles. not much. so i dont want to upgrade with miles.
You don't have enough stuff to do this.

You need 4 upgrades. You have 1 GGU. You are 3 short. Companion fare gets you an economy fare, but not an upgrade.

You can buy 2 P round trips and save both the GGU and the companion fare for later. I suspect that this does not follow the spirit of the question, but I think that this is the cheapest way for you to get 2 round trip transcon F tickets.

If you don't want to spend that much you probably need to give up on F. Save that GGU until you are traveling solo, or until you get a 2nd one.

Also, transcons are generally a bargain. Is that really the most expensive trip you'll be taking with your companion? It would be a shame to use it, and then have another (much more expensive) trip a few months later and pay cash for both tickets on the more expensive one.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:41 pm

You’re almost there then. You can buy an MVP instant fare (Y or S), use your GGU for your companion on one direction, buy 11,000 miles and use miles for the other direction.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25378677-post30.html

Just need to find a RT with U=2 or more.

ETA: do look at cash fares on AS and other airlines. Transcon Y or S probably won’t be cheap and the 11,000 miles (to top up for a 15k mileage upgrade) will run at least $220.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’re almost there then. You can buy an MVP instant fare (Y or S), use your GGU for your companion on one direction, buy 11,000 miles and use miles for the other direction.

I was thinking that too but the MVP instant fares are more than the P fares. Throw in $220 for 11k miles, $99 to redeem the companion cert, and I'm not sure that this is cheaper than buying 2 P round trips.

Actually I think that just buying the 41k miles ($820) for 3 upgrades is the cheapest option... I change my answer.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You don't have enough stuff to do this.
Also, transcons are generally a bargain. Is that really the most expensive trip you'll be taking with your companion? It would be a shame to use it, and then have another (much more expensive) trip a few months later and pay cash for both tickets on the more expensive one.
What are some other expensive trips I could take with companion cert/GGU ?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:32 pm
Suspended

ETA: do look at cash fares on AS and other airlines. Transcon Y or S probably won’t be cheap and the 11,000 miles (to top up for a 15k mileage upgrade) will run at least $220.
Yeah, looks like GGU fares are like $250 pax one way. MVP Y/S is like same price as First class = $650
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:41 pm
Suspended

My plan is like this: Use companion cert to fly one way. (1per tix + $22) Use 2 GGU to fly back in first class. ($250 per person) Total = $650
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:44 pm

Yeah, looks like GGU fares are like $250 pax one way. MVP Y/S is like same price as First class = $650
Mileage upgrades require a higher fare class (H or higher) than GGUs (K or higher), but let’s assume that an H fare is the same price

mileage+ggu: ~1500 a.i.
instant mvp+ggu&miles: ~1650 a.i.
AS P (includes 75% CoS bonus: ~2600 a.i.
DL (either nonstop from JFK or connecting via EWR: ~1900 a.i.

ETA: above assumes it’s the $99+tax companion code, not the introductory just taxes offer. Subtract off a $100 off the first two then
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are some other expensive trips I could take with companion cert/GGU ?
Where do you want to go? Hawaii is generally more expensive than transcon.

The goal is not too take the most expensive trip possible But if you want to go two different places, and one is expensive, and one is cheap, use it on the expensive one. If you only want to go on one trip, then pick the place that you want to go the most.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My plan is like this: Use companion cert to fly one way. (1per tix + $22) Use 2 GGU to fly back in first class. ($250 per person) Total = $650
This doesn't look right.

Companion certs work on round trip travel.

Also, I thought you only had 1 GGU. You have two?

If you have two GGUs and you are happy only going 1 direction in F, buy a round trip ticket with one direction as a GGU-eligible fare (K?) when U is available and the other in R. Use a companion fare to get another for free. Use the GGUs to upgrade the K direction.

That should be your cheapest way to get 2 round trip transcon tickets with 1 direction in F.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Sir, you seem super knowledgable.
I have 1 GGU Code (gift by friend). I also have 1 Companion Certificate. How can i book the cheapest 2 First Class fares from EWR to SFO?
For clarity, a GGU can be used by anyone. Status does not come into play. The lowest eligible fare class for a GGU application is "K." With a companion certificate you would require 2 GGUs, one for you and one for your companion in each direction and there would need to be 2×U available on each flight,to apply the GGUs for an immediate upgrade.

You cannot upgrade one ticket with a GGU and the other with miles when using a companion certificate. You can apply GGUs to a K class fare while upgrades using miles require purchasing Y, S, B, M or H fares. H fares are higher than K fares.

Looking at your city pair in early March with U availability, Main Cabin fares, R, start at $127, K fares are $250 & H fares are $412. If you could come up with another GGU you could buy a K fare for one direction and the lower fare for the return. That would give you first in one direction.

Also keep in mind that a GGU will upgrade all connections < 4 hours when U is available. So a single GGU would upgrade both EWR-SEA & SEA-SFO if U is available on both segments and the connection is 4 hours or less.

I don't use companion certificates for one-way or simple returns. With EWR-SFO fares so inexpensive I would be more inclined to maximize value elsewhere. How about including Costa Rica or Hawaii and still have a stopover in SFO? Circle trips and open jaws are possible.

My partner and I did a 9 segment 16K Mileage run last week and we saved $1151 on the $1250 base fare. I would rather do that than save ~$125 on a cheap transcon. Not a small amount of change, I understand that, but as 75K we were upgraded on 6 of 9 segments. The shortest flight was 954 miles the longest 2721 miles. All in, 9 flights averaged $95 each per segment and that included Hawaii and Costa Rica.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.