FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do with all those GGU's?
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:30 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by platinumorwhat
Sir, you seem super knowledgable.
I have 1 GGU Code (gift by friend). I also have 1 Companion Certificate. How can i book the cheapest 2 First Class fares from EWR to SFO?
For clarity, a GGU can be used by anyone. Status does not come into play. The lowest eligible fare class for a GGU application is "K." With a companion certificate you would require 2 GGUs, one for you and one for your companion in each direction and there would need to be 2×U available on each flight,to apply the GGUs for an immediate upgrade.

You cannot upgrade one ticket with a GGU and the other with miles when using a companion certificate. You can apply GGUs to a K class fare while upgrades using miles require purchasing Y, S, B, M or H fares. H fares are higher than K fares.

Looking at your city pair in early March with U availability, Main Cabin fares, R, start at $127, K fares are $250 & H fares are $412. If you could come up with another GGU you could buy a K fare for one direction and the lower fare for the return. That would give you first in one direction.

Also keep in mind that a GGU will upgrade all connections < 4 hours when U is available. So a single GGU would upgrade both EWR-SEA & SEA-SFO if U is available on both segments and the connection is 4 hours or less.

I don't use companion certificates for one-way or simple returns. With EWR-SFO fares so inexpensive I would be more inclined to maximize value elsewhere. How about including Costa Rica or Hawaii and still have a stopover in SFO? Circle trips and open jaws are possible.

My partner and I did a 9 segment 16K Mileage run last week and we saved $1151 on the $1250 base fare. I would rather do that than save ~$125 on a cheap transcon. Not a small amount of change, I understand that, but as 75K we were upgraded on 6 of 9 segments. The shortest flight was 954 miles the longest 2721 miles. All in, 9 flights averaged $95 each per segment and that included Hawaii and Costa Rica.

James