Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with all those GGU's?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What flights are your friends on that have U space?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
I’m looking for a good home for a bunch of mine before year’s end.
Sad they have to go to waste. Hope you can find someone to use them.

I'd suggest giving them away on CC forum if you haven't already.

Last edited by dayone; Nov 11, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: Remove possible implied solicitation.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by QT31415
I recently purchased a SEA-LIH ticket (R, cheapest coach availabe) for tuesday evening with a return on Thursday - this midweek, low season ticket had no U space despite empty F seats. 48 hours out and can't use status or GGU to upgrade until AS decides to release the seats, and even then, someone who purchased an upgradable fare months ago will get the upgrade over a 75K who is too frugal to pay for an upgradable seat when there's no upgrades available.

Update on this flight - no upgrade space available at 47 hours, however got upgraded on both legs at about 12 hours out due to status. So I guess that question is answered.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well after reading this forum I was starting to lose faith in AS loyalty. However just used BofA 2:1 and 4 GGUs for SFO-HNL/OGG-OAK in March. I had been waiting to find out the exact dates of a conference that I go to every year.

!!! $635 for two pax RT F to HI !!!

Saturday departure and Monday return; would've preferred Sunday return to SFO but HI bookings have always required a little bit of flexibility. I have done plenty ex-SJC to get upgrades which was a pain for me to get to.

AS Mileage Plan faith restored!
DrAlex likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Well after reading this forum I was starting to lose faith in AS loyalty. However just used BofA 2:1 and 4 GGUs for SFO-HNL/OGG-OAK in March. I had been waiting to find out the exact dates of a conference that I go to every year.

!!! $635 for two pax RT F to HI !!!

Saturday departure and Monday return; would've preferred Sunday return to SFO but HI bookings have always required a little bit of flexibility. I have done plenty ex-SJC to get upgrades which was a pain for me to get to.

AS Mileage Plan faith restored!
Nice to hear. I am always happy to hear when people are able to use GGUs on a companion certificate. It is even better when you can upgrade multiple segments with a single GGU. I recently booked SJC-KOA-SAN-SEA-YLW second week of December with one of my Companion Certificates and 4 GGUs. Only 2 to go.

James
QT31415 and SFOPeter like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SFO/NYC for some of next year has now been loaded with Boeing metal and U space is available on many of those flights. (Fares aren't great, but I'd rather confirm one now with a GGU that will expire, knowing I can always bank the $ if the competition comes up with an appealing front cabin fare, which even at its best, will cost me another $300 to $400, so I'll likely keep this one.)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Feeling much better. Scored 4 GGU's Lihue to Sea on Christmas Day. We gave some away, down to 11. We both got 14 last year, not sure how.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by platinumorwhat
i'm new to Alaska. I was matched to MVP. I have a trancon flight and would love to be upgraded. On my ticket, it says "This reservation is not eligible for online GGU" What does that mean? I also see "First Class waitlisted" which is probably due to MVP status. Just confused. Thanks for your help!
I've run into that when I know there is U space available. I called the Gold line and the Customer Service Agent had to remove me from the first class upgrade list and then the web site would let me make the upgrade.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by pipeliner
I've run into that when I know there is U space available. I called the Gold line and the Customer Service Agent had to remove me from the first class upgrade list and then the web site would let me make the upgrade.
Yes, that is correct. You cannot apply a GGU if you are in the complimentary "upgrade request queue." In the case of @platinumorwhat, he was matched to MVP. The only way he would be able to use a GGU is if he was gifted one since you don't receive any until you reach MVPG+. If he was gifted a GGU the fare he purchased may not be eligible for it's application. Without a GGU & U space available, he could upfare to Y or S for an immediate upgrade too. Both scenarios require agent intervention.

I have had instances where I called to be removed from the waitlist request queue and still wasn't able to apply a GGU. The agent had to escalate the request to fix "something" on the account.

James
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
A fair amount of U space just opened up for the winter/spring, including some trans-con and Hawaii routes, even around major holidays. I was able to grab U space for myself and the hubby for a one-way from MCO to SAN around New Years as well as a round-trip from SAN to HNL over Presidents Day. (I've been checking almost daily for eight months, and this is the first time the Prez Day window opened). I spot-checked and also found availability from OAK, SJC, and LAX to Hawaii, and even a handful of seats to/from SEA. Trans-cons available, too.

Now that I've had my fill, I'll just step away while the rest of you buzzards circle in to pick the bones clean

Enjoy!
lalala likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I saw some U openings, too for transcon and mid con flights yesterday and today. I will work on those quickly. May be we shouldn't give up on AS totally yet.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I saw some U openings, too for transcon and mid con flights yesterday and today. I will work on those quickly. May be we shouldn't give up on AS totally yet.
Wish they'd open some SEA-ANC-SEA "U" fares for next summer.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Angry just learned this the hard way

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
... You cannot apply a GGU if you are in the complimentary "upgrade request queue."
on the booking screen there are three check-boxes: Request upgrade to F, Request upgrade to PC, Apply a GGU — if you select “Apply a GGU” you will get a message saying “GGUs can be applied after purchase”; there is another check-box (or link, I forget which) on the confirmation screen

why does the website mechanization offer you an option that then makes you wait another screen or two to actually perform the task?

if you don’t select “Apply a GGU” the system will automatically put you on the F (and PC, if you’re opted in) UG lists— which means that, when you try to use the GGU option on the confirmation screen, you get a system message stating “This reservation is not eligible for online GGU use”

I was on the phone with the MVPG desk for over 45 minutes because the agent first told me that the only way to upgrade on a companion fare was with miles

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Third option is "Do not request an upgrade at this time". When you select the option to apply upgrade cert, The extra screen to actually apply comes later because it has to ticket first. Well in my last case it errored out, left me off the upgrade list and I had to go back into the reservation to request to apply the cert

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

I was on the phone with the MVPG desk for over 45 minutes because the agent first told me that the only way to upgrade on a companion fare was with miles

Should that happen in the future advise the agent that you would like to apply a GGU for you and your companion but you cannot do it online because you are in the upgrade request queue. Request that you be removed from the upgrade queue. The agent can also assist in applying your GGUs. Remember that 2×U is required if you are upgrading yourself & a companion. Also any connections <4 hours with available 2×U can be upgraded on the same GGU.

James
philemer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.