Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Moving/Sharing My Business/Loyalty to/with Other Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving/Sharing My Business/Loyalty to/with Other Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by lainys
... I said EXACTLY the same thing when I did a status match from UA Gold (million mile lifer) to AS MVPG. For my work trips I fly AS just enough to maintain MVPG and use WN with companion pass when Mr Lainys travels with.

Credit card spend maintains WN CP and my AS upgrade % out of SJC is fantastic compared to UA Gold departures out of SFO.... think 2nd or 3rd page down the UA upgrade list somewhere....LOL. Personally I've been a happy AS MVPG flyer since the status match! Time will tell... for now i'll stick to AS/WN over UA

UA got several work round trips this year only because of convenience and multiple nonstop flight options over AS/WN in case customer meetings finished earlier or later (SFO-BOS-SFO).
my upgrade % out of SFO has been consistently good as well. I think it’s just poor for those flying out of SEA.
lainys likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by IStream
It helps, but not much when JAL's fares are significantly higher than ANA's and all the affordable fares earn 30% miles on AS. I could get more mileage out of a trip to MCO.
I believe the value of AS for Asia is more in miles redemption rather than earnings. 100k for biz class to Japan on JAL is a sweet deal.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BaconSF
my upgrade % out of SFO has been consistently good as well. I think it’s just poor for those flying out of SEA.
Depends on the route. I get my share of upgrades even in pmVX birds as a Gold.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
SFOPeter - you would be surprised at how much finally signing the FA contract has improved the mood at UA. It is more than noticeable. As a lifetime 1K, the PQM/PQD stuff has never worried me, so I can't opine. I can only say I am much happier flying UA around the US. Still use AS when there's a convenient NS - even to JFK and EWR.
You know, now that I think about it, you're right. Just flew UA LAS-ORD last week and SFO-MCO last week and both flights were great.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Shocked, I'm shocked, I say, at the allegations that Alaska would blame anyone else for their misery! Clearly you've not spent enough time on the SEA-PDX shuttle where the FAs and the pilots connive to claim it's too bumpy to serve even tepid water and coffee at the same temperature. I've been on bouncier, shorter flights on Delta and UAX where they've served a full service.

I left two years ago and haven't looked back. I was worth upwards of $30K in revenue and AS didn't bat an eyelash - never bothered to even send a survey...
I actually spoke directly to the head of Operations for Horizon about the "turbulence" excuse several months ago. He assured me that they would change their policy to no longer allow flight attendants to make the call. Personally, on the 30+ Horizon segments I've flown since then, I've noticed the excuse used far less often, and only from the pilot, and typically only when turbulence is legitimate. According to the person I spoke with, I was not the first to bring this forward. Was a breath of fresh air to have someone actually paying attention to legitimate customer complaints. Unfortunately the rest of the organization appears to have gone the opposite direction.
tusphotog, jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
I actually spoke directly to the head of Operations for Horizon about the "turbulence" excuse several months ago.
Funny to hear others talk about the QX turbulence shtick between PDX and SEA. I just roll my eyes when I hear it now. It's rarely bad. But it's also not important enough for me to complain about. I am convinced AS has given up on superior customer service...except their marketing folks and a fair proportion of cabin crews who are busting their tails to keep the "north of expected" legend alive.

I'm going to make 75K again this, by the hair of my chinny chin chin. It matches well with my preference for AA/Oneworld int'l flights, primarily out of LAX and YVR. I find food and wifi on AA is pretty good. Seat comfort as well. Strategically employed, the SWU is a ridiculously good value...and often available at booking. So, I'm not ready to go full free agent at this point, though thinking about tubing AS for DL as my secondary. It's hard, though, from PDX. We will have to see just how bad the U and premium cabin partner award situation becomes during 2019 and then make the call.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
I actually spoke directly to the head of Operations for Horizon about the "turbulence" excuse several months ago. He assured me that they would change their policy to no longer allow flight attendants to make the call.
They fixed the inconsistencies of service on PDX-EUG a year ago by eliminating the water service entirely. Now it's a thirty minutes staring contest when seated in 1B, unless they go aft to chat for the entire time.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Clearly you've not spent enough time on the SEA-PDX shuttle where the FAs and the pilots connive to claim it's too bumpy to serve even tepid water and coffee at the same temperature.
I did a couple of mainline SEA-YVRs and back recently. On one my wife and I were two of only 4 or 5 people in F, and the FA insisted the flight time was too short for any service, and sat and read her magazine for the duration. On another F was about full, and the FA managed PDBs and coffee / juice / water inflight. It looks like AS is catching a little Uniteditis, where unaccountable FAs are free to shirk duty if they like.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 4, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I did a couple of mainline SEA-YVRs and back recently. On one my wife and I were two of only 4 or 5 people in F, and the FA insisted the flight time was too short for any serve, and sat and read her magazine for the duration. On another F was about full, and the FA managed PDBs and coffee / juice / water inflight. It looks like AS is catching a little Uniteditis, where unaccountable FAs are free to shirk duty if they like.
Get the FA's name, and send a complaint to AS. It's not that there's no accountability, it's that you're not holding them accountable.

Honestly I've only ever had great experiences with VX or AS flight attendants. The service was better on VX, but that's more due to company policy than the FAs. But there are always going to be a few bad apples, and if you don't bring it to anyone's attention, it will not change. This is NOT a company wide problem.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Get the FA's name, and send a complaint to AS. It's not that there's no accountability, it's that you're not holding them accountable.

Honestly I've only ever had great experiences with VX or AS flight attendants. The service was better on VX, but that's more due to company policy than the FAs. But there are always going to be a few bad apples, and if you don't bring it to anyone's attention, it will not change. This is NOT a company wide problem.
I agree 100% and did have a great service with beverages on my last PDX-SEA flights, both on Q400 and E175. You said it so succinctly.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.