Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Moving/Sharing My Business/Loyalty to/with Other Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving/Sharing My Business/Loyalty to/with Other Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’ve sampled some DL F on the West Coast. If you enjoyed those tight AS F seats from a few years ago where the person in front of you was almost in your lap if they reclined, you’ll love DL F. Direct tV and high speed usable GoGo was nice though. You’re getting snack baskets on LAX-SEA. No polenta or kale flavored chips spotted.

Given the reports on AA Project Oasis F (sounds like ugh) once AS has usable WiFi they may actually be the hard product leader for non-transcon F, unless you just HAVE to have IFE.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...class-737-max/
Well put. I'd also say that for the West Coast where the shorter flight times make WiFi less important to me, they're already the hard product leader on the pmVX planes. The WiFi will be a somewhat fair trade-off to losing the most comfortable recliner in the sky once the cabin mods start to roll out.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I certainly don't have any loyalty to any airline.. but it still seems to me that I should pick an airline, at least for the year. I only fly enough to get status with one airline. If I split it up then I have status with none... and that means no free econ+ seats, no free checked bags, among other things.

Now, it's not clear which one I should pick... but I think I'm better off picking one. The status still has a fair bit of value, I think. If I flew 100k+ miles per year I'd just get gold on both UA and AS and be done with it (based in SFO) but I just don't fly that much.
I’m also based in SFO, as a UA gold, I have not received any upgrades which is what prompted me to switch to AS. As an AS gold, I get upgrades to F ~80% of the time, my monthly route is SFO->BNA.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BaconSF

I’m also based in SFO, as a UA gold, I have not received any upgrades which is what prompted me to switch to AS. As an AS gold, I get upgrades to F ~80% of the time, my monthly route is SFO->BNA.
As a lowly mvp, F upgrades are pretty rare for me. I am usually flexible with travel plans so I tend to shop for good (cheap) fares... so I'm usually dead last on the upgrade list. Once, on the way back from Hawaii, I was the only one on the list who didn't clear.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Anyone who hasn't become a free agent at this point is either tied into a corporate contract, or has a misplaced sense of loyalty.
There's a nice feeling having two major airlines with a large hub in your home city. If WN doesn't fly the route when I need to fly, AA works great.

AS is great, and I'll continue to hit 75K, but I'm not going out of my way to fly AS anymore, especially when it costs more and involves a stop in Seattle. All I care about these days is getting to my destination for a reasonable price, in relative comfort, with the least time spent in an airplane. Given how an AS agent in LAX treated me last week when I boarded a plane 17 minutes before departure, it's getting hard to minimize time spent onboard. Especially since they said the "new boarding process" would start 30-35 minutes before departure.
flyertalker003934 likes this.

Last edited by tusphotog; Oct 29, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I'm out too

Originally Posted by IStream
I've been 75K since the program started and spend between $10K and $15K per year with AS but between the loss of the partner network, the lack of saver awards domestically, and the laughable availability of U space, I'm out. My first big step was to fly to Japan non-stop on an ANA 787 rather than AS partner JAL, which was almost twice the price for a 1-stop with a miserly 30% RDM earning rate on AS.

Domestic flying out of SEA from here on out will be on a mix of Southwest and AS, depending on frequency of service and price.

Sorry AS, but after years of exclusive loyalty to you and your partners I've decided that you've degraded your Mileage Plan program to the point that you no longer deserve my exclusive business. You've become just like the majors in actual customer experience, even if on paper you still look better. I suspect it's only a matter of time until more folks catch on.
Sad to say, but I am in the exact same boat as you. Finally made the decision over the weekend that I'm done with AS, after several years of MVPG.

When, on average, I'm stuck on the tarmac at PSC for 1x to 2x the time the flight is actually in the air, something is wrong. While I understand the travel experience at Sea-Tac is not entirely AS's fault, a significant percentage of it is. Alaska loves to blame ATC, but I know for certain (via ATC'ers at Seattle Center) that much of their excuse in bunk. They are pushing their gate usage too high, which has a domino effect once ATC has a minor hiccup. I understand why they're doing it, but they are severely underestimating the effect it is having on both customer and employee morale. Every single flight I've had with them for the past several months results in one or two frequent flyer's openly criticizing the airline while on the plane. The flight attendants, likely because of frequent delays, have developed more of a surly demeanor. Dating back to the pilot shortage, my experience flying Alaska over the past 18 months has been abysmal.

The final straw for me was the sudden lack of "U" availability. Without the GGU's and automatic Gold upgrade fares, MVPG provides very little value to me. Especially considering Alaska is typically non-competitive on first class fares compared to Delta. The lack of availability appears to be a choice made by Alaska management. That choice has resulted in them losing my business. I'll take Delta and their lower fares, better first class, far superior lounges, far superior route map, and ability to avoid Sea-Tac.

Very frustrating for this once proud Alaska loyalist.
BearX220 and jimmygottfredson like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with you. Those waived change fees though. No one else offers that, and it's just worth so much. Easily several hundred dollars a year, if not over $1000. Not because I pay a lot of change fees, but because when I book something and the price drops, I can't "down-fare". This was somewhat mitigated when you used to be able to claim fare difference when a flight dropped in price, but still not as good as waived change fees, because I'm often willing to change flights or airports (I'm in SF so I have 2 choices for a departing airport, or 3 if it's a really good deal out of SJC).

Once AS drops the waived change fee (it's just a matter of time... gotta "compete" with the other airlines) it will be hard to justify but right now that's the main sticking point preventing me from status matching to UA, despite the vastly superior network. The miles too (so much more valuable, and you earn so many more), but that wouldn't be enough incentive without the waived change fees.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I agree with you. Those waived change fees though. No one else offers that, and it's just worth so much.
Southwest offers it. For everyone. Unfortunately WN isn’t an option for me (doesn’t fly to my airport) or they would get at least some of my domestic travel budget.

And I agree - that is a good benefit for MVPG. Unfortunately my wife is only MVP, and since we often travel together (except for one of my international trips), it pretty much kills the proactive/speculative booking with refaring/cancellation option for me as well.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Southwest offers it. For everyone. Unfortunately WN isn’t an option for me (doesn’t fly to my airport) or they would get at least some of my domestic travel budget.

And I agree - that is a good benefit for MVPG. Unfortunately my wife is only MVP, and since we often travel together (except for one of my international trips), it pretty much kills the proactive/speculative booking with refaring/cancellation option for me as well.
I was under the impression that if your wife was on the same record as you, the waived change fees/re-fare would apply to her as well....my wife travels with me most of the time as well which means we're either both MVP or both MVPG....did your one international trip you took without her really bump you from MVP to MVPG?? If so, yikes, I bet she regrets going with you
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd rather take a bus than Southwest.

Ok maybe that's an exaggeration but I just don't see the point. They used to be a no frills low cost airline. Now they are a no frills airline that's just as expensive as everyone else.

I used to fly them almost exclusively. Then when they were delayed for 20 consecutive flights (not exaggerating) I rage quit and moved all my business to VX F (which is as close to the total opposite of Southwest as you can get without leaving the US). I was extremely happy until AS bought VX, and now we are where we are.

I don't know which airline I'm going to (or even if I'm going) but it's sure as hell not going to be Southwest.
notquiteaff and DrAlex like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I was under the impression that if your wife was on the same record as you, the waived change fees/re-fare would apply to her as well....my wife travels with me most of the time as well which means we're either both MVP or both MVPG....did your one international trip you took without her really bump you from MVP to MVPG?? If so, yikes, I bet she regrets going with you
Well, one Premium Economy Trip on BA to Europe and one transcon, to be more precise. My wife went on a few shorter trips by herself, too, but I booked her awards

As for extending the cancellation fee waiver to all tickets on a PNR, my understanding was that the fee is per ticket, based on the status of the ticketed passenger. Last paragraph of https://www.travelcodex.com/cancel-a...thout-penalty/ seems to confirm my understanding. Especially with award tix it would be great if I was wrong, though

Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok maybe that's an exaggeration but I just don't see the point. They used to be a no frills low cost airline. Now they are a no frills airline that's just as expensive as everyone else.
I flew them occasionally when I lived in the Bay Area and they were offering a better fare than UA (all things considered, including EQMs and elite bonus as I was a 1K at the time). Always short hops to SoCal or LAS. Never had a problem. They certainly aren’t always the cheapest, but AS is often a lot more expensive than other choices... I wouldn’t fly WN across the country or to Hawaii because I value my leg room. Which is why I am concerned with AS’ changes... with monetization of exit row and often no Premium Class for me with even Gold I am looking at more regular Economy seating... and might find myself more often on UA again where I pretty much always had E+ since the invention of that cabin section.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I used to fly them almost exclusively. Then when they were delayed for 20 consecutive flights (not exaggerating) I rage quit and moved all my business to VX F (which is as close to the total opposite of Southwest as you can get without leaving the US). I was extremely happy until AS bought VX, and now we are where we are.

I don't know which airline I'm going to (or even if I'm going) but it's sure as hell not going to be Southwest.
Short hops, where WN is the only airline flying the city pair (which for me is now almost anything out of OAK to the south), I don't hesitate to get on WN. Otherwise, it is nearly free agentville here for the past few years. I've kept my 75K (barely) and just bought a couple of trips because I'm close enough that it makes sense - for the 50K bonus, and to gift MVP status. Oh yes, and the Bored Room (AL) passes, for when I'm not in F and when the Priority Pass Go Away sign is out.

If you've paid any attention (not the poster I'm quoting, just generally) to life and what you've learned and continue to learn, really the most valuable lesson is how you deal with change. I once thought I'd never see the day when I wasn't flying UA. On that note, I thought I'd be flying Air Cal in "almost first class" seating around the west for my adult life. Well wasn't that an unfortunate lesson at 20-something years old. I thought my Alaska Airlines travel would be through the peace and tranquility of the SEA and PDX airports, civilized beyond belief, and that I'd have a three course meal between here and SEA, and then a more opulent three course meal, salad cart included, on my connection to ANC.

I used to think lots of things. I still do, despite that my fragile little mind is pretty full. But now, I think that I can remember the good ride that AS gave me for three-plus decades, that it still gives me a good ride from time to time, and that I won't feel bad or make excuses when the Eskimo sees me riding another. While he may have given me some cookies, and a myriad of baggage tags, he never gave me a ring!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Well, one Premium Economy Trip on BA to Europe and one transcon, to be more precise. My wife went on a few shorter trips by herself, too, but I booked her awards

As for extending the cancellation fee waiver to all tickets on a PNR, my understanding was that the fee is per ticket, based on the status of the ticketed passenger. Last paragraph of https://www.travelcodex.com/cancel-a...thout-penalty/ seems to confirm my understanding. Especially with award tix it would be great if I was wrong, though

The waiver is only given to the person with status on revenue tickets. On awards, officially the waiver is granted based on the mileage account used for the redemption. From a gold or higher mileage account, all travelers get the fees waived.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calculon
The waiver is only given to the person with status on revenue tickets. On awards, officially the waiver is granted based on the mileage account used for the redemption. From a gold or higher mileage account, all travelers get the fees waived.
Thank you - that is half-good news for me
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by BaconSF
I wouldn’t hold my breath for that route to stick around indefinitely, but enjoy it for the time being!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.