Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
This is my main concern as an AS elite. As someone who pays for all of my tickets to commute to my work, I need this flexibility. If the BE fare does not allow elites a free change, and the price increase for a normal economy is more expensive than Southwest, why would I stay with Alaska? This would apply to lots of small business travelers who currently choose Alaska over Southwest. This is the main elite benefit that I hope Alaska does not tinker with on BE fares.

If I don't get the free chocolate and alcohol on a BE fare, I can live with that. If I have to sit in the middle seat as an elite, I'm not sure if I can live with it. Perhaps I can live sometimes. But, don't take away my free change benefit as an AS Gold. Otherwise, why am I flying you Alaska instead of Southwest? And, I get free drink tickets from Southwest too. And no middle seat on Southwest as an A-Lister. I guess Alaska has to decide who their competitors are. Is it JetBlue and Southwest or the Big 3? Maybe Alaska has determined that they don't have many small business travelers so they don't care if they lose them.
This is exactly my complaint with the change. Flying Alaska is no longer the easiest choice for me as I now live near LA. The BIGGEST feature of MVP-Gold for me has been the no-change fee when changing a reservation, even with the cheapest fare. Now that this is gone, I'm done. (And I actually live closer to LGB so Southwest and Jet Blue, here i come!)
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's true that Southwest doesn't have change fees, but neither do they have SDCs. Moving to a later flight costs the fare difference, regardless of status, which can be quite a lot of it's the difference between a WGA fare and a same day ticket.

I'm wondering how people who do commute between cities for work deal with that? I guess you could always book a very late flight and stand by for earlier flights, if the flights are usually not full.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's true that Southwest doesn't have change fees, but neither do they have SDCs. Moving to a later flight costs the fare difference, regardless of status, which can be quite a lot of it's the difference between a WGA fare and a same day ticket.

I'm wondering how people who do commute between cities for work deal with that? I guess you could always book a very late flight and stand by for earlier flights, if the flights are usually not full.
When I was on Southwest on my OAK-PDX commute I would often book the cheap late flight and standby on the preferred earlier flight - it worked most of the time. Easily worth it if I could save $50 compared to the early WN fare or the often more expensive AS fare (on Q400/E175)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k

not true. As a A list with companion level you can have free SDC. In fact to achieve A list with companion level you can actually use the credit card which counts as a means to achieve added points.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xrayman
not true. As a A list with companion level you can have free SDC.
Does it say that somewhete on southwest's website? I couldn't find it. It says you can have free same day standby to an earlier flight, but that confirmed changes require that you pay the fare difference. I saw nothing about this fare difference bring waived for companion pass holders.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Does it say that somewhete on southwest's website? I couldn't find it. It says you can have free same day standby to an earlier flight, but that confirmed changes require that you pay the fare difference. I saw nothing about this fare difference bring waived for companion pass holders.
You are correct. Same day STANDBY is available, but only for EARLIER flights. The workaround, as ucdtim17 mentioned, is to book a flight at the end of your travel window rather than the middle. A-list priority for standby gives an excellent success rate unless there has been a cancellation. (Displaced customers have priority, as they should.)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nsx
You are correct. Same day STANDBY is available, but only for EARLIER flights. The workaround, as ucdtim17 mentioned, is to book a flight at the end of your travel window rather than the middle. A-list priority for standby gives an excellent success rate unless there has been a cancellation. (Displaced customers have priority, as they should.)
Whereas on AS, status does come into play for standby.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Whereas on AS, status does come into play for standby.
The WN standby lists are ordered by status. I’ve jumped to the top or even cleared early because of my A list preferred status.

Having a companion pass is completely irrelevant for anything related to standby lists.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Alaska
Corporate Travelers Problems on Alaska

Been a Gold or 75K for about 18 years. Just booked 2 tickets through my corporations Concur, I get X savers. 75K is useless when you cant pick a seat or get any benifits. Alaska Reservations said I should talk to my company about changing settings in Concur. What a joke! If I cant pick my seats or get any benifits, Southwest will have a new frequent flyer.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by langp
Been a Gold or 75K for about 18 years. Just booked 2 tickets through my corporations Concur, I get X savers. 75K is useless when you cant pick a seat or get any benifits. Alaska Reservations said I should talk to my company about changing settings in Concur. What a joke! If I cant pick my seats or get any benifits, Southwest will have a new frequent flyer.
I can feel your pain, but I am not sure what Alaska Reservations can do when your company uses a corporate booking agency that goes for the cheapest flight. From discussions here, it sounds like most companies do not go for "basic economy" which would make sense as there is value in having options to change. I agree, if your company is making you take basic economy, I would move to another airline that would suit my needs.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
use the 24-hour cancellation benefit, and have a chat with the Concur agent assigned to your corporate account ... depending on your route and how far in advance you're booking, you can also try to adjust the filters on your flight search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We also use Concur and it doesn't show X fares when I search unless something has changed in the past 3 weeks, so it probably is something you company travel dept has to change, not AS.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by chrisl137
We also use Concur and it doesn't show X fares when I search unless something has changed in the past 3 weeks, so it probably is something you company travel dept has to change, not AS.
Except why would the company want to pay more than Southwest, which offers free cancellation and changes at the same price as Alaska's Saver fare? Unless the company has already made that decision for United, American, and Delta?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Except why would the company want to pay more than Southwest, which offers free cancellation and changes at the same price as Alaska's Saver fare? Unless the company has already made that decision for United, American, and Delta?
Because WN doesn't have non-stops to a lot of transcon destinations, and when they do they aren't competitively priced or on the desired schedule? We have discount contracts with UA and WN, but it doesn't keep me from being able to fly on AS for a lot of my transcon (and sometimes regional) travel. Most of my travel is booked less than 2 weeks out, with a lot of it less than 7 days. WN is a lot less competitive that close in, and AS is often competitive with our discounted UA fares.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaska
Funny thing is Concur shows an "R" fair and then when it processes the ticketing it moves to the cheaper "X" fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.