Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
I really they'd (well any airline with BE setup with this random seating method) put a special pop up that says, you have kids in your booking. You may not sit with your kids in the booking, if you understand this hit "I understand I may be separated from my kids and they are ok sitting by themselves" otherwise, go back. That's one thing Spirit does right. It is very explicit with these warnings.
What three year old be would okay to sit by him/herself? AS doesn’t accept them as accompanied minors. As an unrelated passenger I certainly would not appreciate it if they were plomped into the middle seat next to me.

Anyone know if airlines allow you to book F for yourself and Economy for your three year old without paying UM fees?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I predict some sort of bad incident with Dao-level PR impact at some point when a small child is forced to sit alone.
There's already legislation passed, but DOT has yet to release an implementing rule.

DOT Rule on Family Seating
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:24 pm

We flew Ryanair earlier in the year. The booking engine forces you to pay for a seat when you have minors in your party and does not allow you to “leave it to chance”. However, because it is forced, only the adults in the party pay for the seat assignment and the children get an assigned seat for free.
It also helps that their seat assignments are only a few euros for the cheapest seats.

I had (wrongly?!) assumed when booking that Alaska wouldn’t put my 3 year old in a middle seat By himself but based on other carriers it sounds like that is a real possibility. I will report back with how it turns out on our trip.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rustykettel
There's already legislation passed, but DOT has yet to release an implementing rule.

So 2016 law, not implemented. Someone in DOT will have some ‘splaining to do when the poo hits the fan.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

There's nothing in the legislation that requires DOT actually implement a policy. Note the "if appropriate" part below. Also, it doesn't require the entire family to be seated together. It still permits a family to be split up as long as children 13 or under are seated next to a family member who is over 13. With two adults, it would be permissible to put two kids next to one adult and one kid next to the other.

IN GENERAL.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall review and, if appropriate, establish a policy directing all air carriers providing scheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air transportation to establish policies that enable a child, who is age 13 or under on the date an applicable flight is scheduled to occur, to be seated in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13, to the maximum extent practicable and at no additional cost, except when assignment to an adjacent seat would require an upgrade to another cabin class or a seat with extra legroom or seat pitch for which additional payment is normally required.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
What three year old be would okay to sit by him/herself? AS doesn’t accept them as accompanied minors. As an unrelated passenger I certainly would not appreciate it if they were plomped into the middle seat next to me.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply I believed this was OK in any way shape or form. As a parent, I would not want a 3-year old next to stranger. As a passenger, I would not want to be responsible for someone else's 3 year old. My post was supposed to suggest that airlines should put more emphasis on the seating aspect when asking a customer to go ahead with the BE reservations (not particular to AS per se). I feel like the times I moved, the passengers had not clue that the family being separated was a possibility with BE. I apologize if it sounded like I was agreeing with separating children from their parents and seating them alone. I would say that if your seating protocol can cause this scenario, a safety point in the system (i.e. GA's) should have the latitude and ability to fix it relatively easily and with a minimum of disruption. I hope AS has factored this in its deployment.

That thread on family seating made me curious though and I googled around a bit. I see the recommendation for parents being seated next to an adult as part of the 2017 FAA Reauthorization
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/636/text#toc-H8B665C4797E74F00B4D74050D6817986

Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall review and, if appropriate, establish a policy directing all air carriers providing scheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air transportation to establish policies that enable a child, who is age 13 or under on the date an applicable flight is scheduled to occur, to be seated in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13, to the maximum extent practicable and at no additional cost, except when assignment to an adjacent seat would require an upgrade to another cabin class.

But I don't see any policy changes. If you look on the DOT site about family seating, it specifically states:
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...family-seating

For example, basic economy class tickets are often lower priced tickets that may not provide consumers with the ability to select a seat. These tickets may not meet the needs of families with young children.

In an USA Today article, all from 2018, all I could find was:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...hts/723645002/

In 2016, Congress passed a law requiring airlines to seat families with children together without charging them more. But the Transportation Department hasn't written the required regulation and seems unlikely to do so anytime soon. Airlines claim they seat families together whenever possible, but they're also motivated by the fees they collect whenever someone reserves a seat.

Last edited by FlyingBear; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think you misunderstand who the “best” customers are.
So you probably meant AS' best customers are the flyers who paid basic economy fares and flies AS twice a year. If this is the case, AS would probably need to expand their BE sections to help subsidize the PE and F cabins.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
So you probably meant AS' best customers are the flyers who paid basic economy fares and flies AS twice a year. If this is the case, AS would probably need to expand their BE sections to help subsidize the PE and F cabins.

Happy New Year!
While the snark made me smile, I think we all know that the best customers are the ones that regularly pay more. Flyertalk game of age in an era when loyalty was rewarded, regardless of yield. That is not today.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBear

Sorry, I did not mean to imply I believed this was OK in any way shape or form. As a parent, I would not want a 3-year old next to stranger. As a passenger, I would not want to be responsible for someone else's 3 year old. My post was supposed to suggest that airlines should put more emphasis on the seating aspect when asking a customer to go ahead with the BE reservations (not particular to AS per se).
Sorry, I didn’t read your post as implying anything. My wording must have been bad, there was nothing wrong with yours..
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
There's nothing in the legislation that requires DOT actually implement a policy. Note the "if appropriate" part below. Also, it doesn't require the entire family to be seated together. It still permits a family to be split up as long as children 13 or under are seated next to a family member who is over 13. With two adults, it would be permissible to put two kids next to one adult and one kid next to the other.
Yes, hence the ‘splaining if and when something bad happens. “Secretary Chao, why did you deem it not appropriate to implement a policy to ensure that a 3-year-old wouldn’t sit by herself next to a ....”?

Of course, one should also question why they passed such a vague law in the first place.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because the DOT was created specifically so that congress doesn't have to make these decisions. They are deferring to the DOT to make the call.

If congress wants to regulate airlines themselves, they should dismantle the DOT. I'm no fan of the DOT but I suspect that the result would be worse, not better. It makes no sense to delegate responsibility and then overrule them.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: HH Silver
Boy the pricing on their premium seats is all messed up now with the SAVER fares. A flight I booked before the SAVER fares were introduced will let me move up to premium for $39. I later booked my partner into a SAVER class, and to move to premium is $69 for him. If I book the same flight right now, while shopping for flight and previewing seats, it shows $39 for the upgrade, however if I actually go through the booking process choosing SAVER (X), it then charges $69 for the upgrade. On this particular flight, SAVER (X) is $161 and MAIN (K) is $169. If I book MAIN and upgrade to premium, it would cost an extra $47 while if I book into SAVER and try to upgrade, it would be $69.

I guess it makes sense that it would cost more to upgrade a SAVER, but it sure makes the pricing all over the place.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Boy the pricing on their premium seats is all messed up now with the SAVER fares.

I guess it makes sense that it would cost more to upgrade a SAVER, but it sure makes the pricing all over the place.
I thought you could not change a saver fare at all, are you saying you could purchase a saver fare and then upgrade to a PE seat?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter
I thought you could not change a saver fare at all, are you saying you could purchase a saver fare and then upgrade to a PE seat?
I don't think so. It sounds like you are buying out of saver for $30 and then $39 for the Premium seat.

James
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ctporter
Yes. When I go to my reservation and click on ADD next to seat, it gives me the option, and says:

"Purchase a Premium Class seat?
Saver fares don't allow seat changes after purchase. However, you can still purchase Premium Class seats for anyone on your itinerary. Saver fare rules still apply."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.