Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair (AY) Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by osotoc
hope your miles posted. I make MVP Gold so no 75K this year. I did get a bit of ahead start for 2019 with the second half of my CX flight back from NRT counting for 2019.
I have one more CX flight scheduled this year, and then likely a AY in September. I think then I'll move over for SQ for a bit. I like to sample them all!

Happy New Year!
AY miles take forever to post...I have just started to not input any ff# on the reservation, then just send AS the boarding passes and a copy of my receipt - they usually post within 48 hours of that. Made 75k again this year but with the move to Toronto, I won't be re-qualifying in 2020 as my travels won't be as numerous. Not sure, either, how AS status will serve me with YYZ as my new home airport...

My last AY flights (last month: CDG-HEL-BKK) were great as always...the flu hit me hard as I was waiting in the HEL AY lounge (that is an area they can improve!) and by the time I got on the plane, I was a mess. I didn't know what was going on - just thought I was cold and tired, but somewhere over the Stans, the flight attendant said to me, "I think you are coming down with something - you are shaking in your sleep!" and she gave me some meds to bring my fever down. She took care of me like a mother would her own son: peppermint tea, soup, water never half empty. Flying them on my way back to North America and looking forward to it, again, hopefully 100% healthy so I can thoroughly enjoy their A350 finally!
Old May 7, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ralph4878
AY miles take forever to post...I have just started to not input any ff# on the reservation, then just send AS the boarding passes and a copy of my receipt - they usually post within 48 hours of that. Made 75k again this year but with the move to Toronto, I won't be re-qualifying in 2020 as my travels won't be as numerous. Not sure, either, how AS status will serve me with YYZ as my new home airport...

My last AY flights (last month: CDG-HEL-BKK) were great as always...the flu hit me hard as I was waiting in the HEL AY lounge (that is an area they can improve!) and by the time I got on the plane, I was a mess. I didn't know what was going on - just thought I was cold and tired, but somewhere over the Stans, the flight attendant said to me, "I think you are coming down with something - you are shaking in your sleep!" and she gave me some meds to bring my fever down. She took care of me like a mother would her own son: peppermint tea, soup, water never half empty. Flying them on my way back to North America and looking forward to it, again, hopefully 100% healthy so I can thoroughly enjoy their A350 finally!
I'm so sorry you got sick on your flight, but AY FA was ready to offer the help you needed. Was in BKK in April for a few days then down to HKT for a few days. Always a fun time.
Hopefully, your YYZ move has gone smoothly. CX availability could make some J trips back to Asia doable. Does AY fly to YYZ? Does JL?

I'm winding down my European stay, and a move back to DC is likely. I'll keep the AS loyalty and probably focus on UA and DL as an alternative.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by osotoc
I'm so sorry you got sick on your flight, but AY FA was ready to offer the help you needed. Was in BKK in April for a few days then down to HKT for a few days. Always a fun time.
Hopefully, your YYZ move has gone smoothly. CX availability could make some J trips back to Asia doable. Does AY fly to YYZ? Does JL?

I'm winding down my European stay, and a move back to DC is likely. I'll keep the AS loyalty and probably focus on UA and DL as an alternative.
Indeed, the FAs were INCREDIBLE.
I was flying AY back to North America for the move back (though into NYC - AY does not, currently, serve YYZ) and was excited to be on their A350. Alas, there was a change of plans and I had to cancel that (non-refundable argh) ticket. I'll be on a DL A350, though, from ICN to ATL, and look forward to trying their suites for the first time!
I've done some reward searches with AS out of YYZ and a lot comes up to Asia on KE, JL, HU, and EK; loads of options to Europe with BA, so the miles I have will be useful for booking some vacations over the next fews years (fingers crossed for no devaluations!). CX will hopefully be an option, too.
Good luck with your move back to DC! I was there for 6 years before moving to BKK...used AS all the time to-and-from the West Coast out of DCA and BWI...always got upgraded on the flights in and out of BWI!
Old May 29, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ralph4878
Indeed, the FAs were INCREDIBLE.
I was flying AY back to North America for the move back (though into NYC - AY does not, currently, serve YYZ) and was excited to be on their A350. Alas, there was a change of plans and I had to cancel that (non-refundable argh) ticket. I'll be on a DL A350, though, from ICN to ATL, and look forward to trying their suites for the first time!
I've done some reward searches with AS out of YYZ and a lot comes up to Asia on KE, JL, HU, and EK; loads of options to Europe with BA, so the miles I have will be useful for booking some vacations over the next fews years (fingers crossed for no devaluations!). CX will hopefully be an option, too.
Good luck with your move back to DC! I was there for 6 years before moving to BKK...used AS all the time to-and-from the West Coast out of DCA and BWI...always got upgraded on the flights in and out of BWI!
Hey, hope you made it back to YYZ in comfort. Looks like I'll be back in DC by the beginning of August. Speaking of Canada, I booked the $2000USD YUL-DOH-BKK RT flight deal in Mar 2020 for me and my husband. We're excited to test out QSuites and start building some AA miles. Next long haul is UA AMS-IAH-MEX in July in J. Should be fun! While back in metro DC, I'll have to take advantage of some cross-country AS flights.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

Trying to book 2 business class tickets on an itinerary that includes the A350 HEL - LAX. Looks like AS (and possibly AA) are seeing phantom award availability.

I was able to book 1 seat, AS (and AA) see availability for a 2nd seat, but fail to ticket. EF sees U space though it looks like they reply yes to any inquiry where they might have space available, BA does not. (though it's not consistent).

FWIW if you attempt to book it on AA, you get a much quicker indication that it's phantom space well before the final purchase like on AS.

Anybody else? Any ideas? Will AY release more U space after the single business class ticket is taken? (this is for ticketing towards end of schedule).

-David
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
FWIW if you attempt to book it on AA, you get a much quicker indication that it's phantom space well before the final purchase like on AS.
If you call AS they are able to confirm availability before purchase.

James
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you call AS they are able to confirm availability before purchase.

James
I spent a couple of hours on the phone with them last night. It doesn't help that you (and they) see award availability that isn't bookable.

-David
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I spent a couple of hours on the phone with them last night. It doesn't help that you (and they) see award availability that isn't bookable.

-David
Better than 4 hours online trying to purchase something that isn't bookable. I was simply sharing with everyone that AS can request seats without purchasing them. AS sees what you see so if it is phantom availability (caching can be a culprit since the award space may no longer be available yet appears to be available with the outdated data set) you won't know until the seat is requested. AS can do that, you can't until you actually attempt to purchase it.

James
jsguyrus likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 20, 2019 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Better than 4 hours online trying to purchase something that isn't bookable. I was simply sharing with everyone that AS can request seats without purchasing them. AS sees what you see so if it is phantom availability (caching can be a culprit since the award space may no longer be available yet appears to be available with the outdated data set) you won't know until the seat is requested. AS can do that, you can't until you actually attempt to purchase it.

James
Phantom availability occurred with a booking of mine on JL, and the agents were able to see that it was initially there and ended up confirming a seat with JL. So YMMV on the phone as well, depending on your agent, and I don't know if they have the same relationship with AY (though I assume they do). I wouldn't expect this to be par for the course, but it can happen!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:19 pm

I ended up booking a non-stop elsewhere. The phantom seat is still showing on Alaska and AA.

-David
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:00 pm

Finnair: award space gone?

Hi, I know there is a specific thread dedicated to this issue but wanted to see whether this is a known general issue: since last week -at least- award space on Finnair seems to have disappeared from Alaska, at least for flights between HEL and SE Asia (or vice versa) from now til end of schedule.

BA still shows plenty of availably on similar routes so I am not sure if this is some sort of glitch or something else. Has anyone called Alaska to see what's going on?

Link to other thread, Unable to find Finnair Inventory Asia To Europe

Edit: seats seem to be back again!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
If I redeem multi-leg in J, is it possible to change the date of the last leg after that?

Leg 1: AAA-BBB
Leg 2: BBB-CCC
(about 10 hours stop-over)
Leg 3: CCC-XXX

I would like to stay longer in CCC but the AS Award Search does not allow that. So, can I change the date of CCC-XXX later?

Thank you!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by thanaset
If I redeem multi-leg in J, is it possible to change the date of the last leg after that?

Leg 1: AAA-BBB
Leg 2: BBB-CCC
(about 10 hours stop-over)
Leg 3: CCC-XXX

I would like to stay longer in CCC but the AS Award Search does not allow that. So, can I change the date of CCC-XXX later?

Thank you!
Is CCC a valid stopover point? Stopovers are generally allowed only the the gateway city. Without knowing the route, it is hard to comment. Use multi-city search and enter AAA-CCC with your desired date and CCC-XXX with you desired date for onward travel. If it returns an error it is most likely not valid.

James
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Is CCC a valid stopover point? Stopovers are generally allowed only the the gateway city. Without knowing the route, it is hard to comment. Use multi-city search and enter AAA-CCC with your desired date and CCC-XXX with you desired date for onward travel. If it returns an error it is most likely not valid.

James

Thank you! It's the one from the AY Trick that was removed from another thread 2-4 days ago!

One more question, is it safe to cancel/no-show the last leg instead?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by thanaset
Thank you! It's the one from the AY Trick that was removed from another thread 2-4 days ago!

One more question, is it safe to cancel/no-show the last leg instead?
You can try and let us know whether AS will charge you more for no show and reprice your award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.