Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair (AY) Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minz56
This isn't quite true. While there is only one booking code, airlines can restrict availability using dynamic availability options, eg restricting by point of sale. Here's a link to what Amadeus offer. I believe that Sabre has the same kind of options.

https://amadeus.com/en/portfolio/air...c-availability

Whether this is the reason for the discrepancy between AY availability I don't know. It could be IT related.
I didn't say it was impossible, just unlikely. I've never actually seen any partner doing this. The closest I've ever seen was Etihad, who used to have POS restrictions on some awards, making booking them through AA difficult. It still wasn't impossible; you just had to call AA in the right country. I'm not sure if they still do this. I still have some Google voice credit from the $10 I loaded up to call AA desks all over the world trying to book Etihad apartments to India.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That seems unlikely. Most airlines have one booking code per class of service that they use for partner awards, and it's the same for all partners. Either there is availability or there isn't.

I've never seen a mismatch between AA and AS for AY awards before.
While award booking class is the same across partners, it's interesting how the space does not equally show up on all programs. I wonder if some partners block some partners more than others. I would not think so but who knows. Maybe it's just an IT thing. Just earlier this year, when QF dumped a bunch of J/F space, AS and AA could not see it but BA could. Just last week, I booked HEL-SEA for August 2024. QF and IB showed a single U seat. BA, AA, and AS did not. Come to think of it, even Expertflyer didn't show any U space lol, so I figured it was phantom. Thankfully, I had a good stash of Avios (thanks to a xfer bonus) and I booked it through IB, hoping it'd ticket. it did!
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:24 am

Yes, I had not encountered this kind of AY award space restrictions on Alaska before. I explained the agent that I could see (U) award space on AA, AY and BA for ICN-HEL, and asked whether she could check with the Alaska partner desk. Agent said she was the partner desk (!)
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Yes, I had not encountered this kind of AY award space restrictions on Alaska before. I explained the agent that I could see (U) award space on AA, AY and BA for ICN-HEL, and asked whether she could check with the Alaska partner desk. Agent said she was the partner desk (!)
All agents are "the partner desk" these days. Means nothing. Most don't know where DPS or CPT is and can look for partner awards just like you can, but that's it. If you have a complicated partner award question, ask for a PIC lead and prepare for a lengthy hold time. One of the many cutbacks that AS has given their loyal customers.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Got the same issue for HEL-HND. The agent sees nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.