Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Horizon
Even better! ^
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Perhaps you'd have a point if AS followed industry standard and offered a pre-departure drink. But they don't. Compared to their competitors, you're already at a deteriorated service level on AS by the time you're getting into the air. Then to see Y get a beverage before F, I can understand the complaint. I just laugh at it, because it's just typical AS. Add to that there's usually a Y pax in the F lav by that point, and it just completes the AS experience with complete disregard for the F experience.
I agree, with respect to the pre-departure beverage. Still, judging from the comments/complaints on the other three airlines pages here, it's anything but consistent - but hey, consistency would be something else to complain about, so why not? With respect to Y "getting a beverage before F" - it's a room temp cup of water. It would be really easy to start offering it from row one if you think that would take away the pain of not getting a beverage before someone in Y got theirs.

Do you work long-haul (transcon/Hawaii) AS F? 9 times out of 10, the Y FA's are more than done before that.
Primarily, I work long haul/transcon - meaning about 99% of my trips. I'm also not lazy or slow. It's 50/50 whether the F service is done before the Y service - many times, it is. It takes a good hour from takeoff before anyone in the last few rows gets anything to drink - on a good day.

I like the idea. However, in the context of no PDB, it seems backwards.
the only two solutions under the current service standards are - A) start offering plastic cups of room temp water at row one so nobody feels left out or B) wait until F has completed their first bev service before starting in the main cabin. PDB would be nice - I'm all for it. Management needs to get on board as well - and then the FA's that will, undoubtedly be very inconsistent about this. We can debate about how that's ridiculous, and chances are I would agree with you but it's the reality.

What routes does AS compete with NZ on?
I suppose I didn't make my point clearly enough - it isn't that we compete with Air NZ, obvi we don't, it's simply that this isn't some idiot AS idea - at least one other airline is doing it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by IStream
I don't get bent out of shape by Y folks getting water before F but I had to chuckle at your post. There's nothing more elitist than marketing a product as First Class and happily taking my money on that pretext. If you're going to talk it and charge for it, then walk it.
okay. I mean, your point about selling a "First Class product" and then actually providing the same is spot on. I just don't see where Alaska says that nobody in Y will have anything at all before everyone in F does in any of their advertising. My long post was simply that.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I have to say that I don't have a problem Y getting water before me if I am sitting in F, as long as the F cabin FA is doing her/his job. This will be the last thing I worried about.
AS Flyer, atcanobbio and FluxTZ like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sounds like a catering issue. These happen from time to time... Or a lot of thirsty pax. Was this catered RT? I hope not. Used to be an issue on Hawaii turns.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am typing this on Flight 32 SEA-PHL today in FC. Attentive service, neither better or worse than I've come to expect.

One oddity though. The FA is blocking use of the FC lav for an inordinate amount of time--easily a cumulative 30-45 min so far, probably more. Dunno if there's a sick pilot or what... but between that and some usual turbulence, there's been less time to use the lav than on any other flight I can recall. This seems unfortunate when congestion left us in line to take off for an hour or so,

If there is an illness or something, I'm sympathetic....otherwise it seems something AS would try to be more mindful of.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DaveH
I am typing this on Flight 32 SEA-PHL today in FC. Attentive service, neither better or worse than I've come to expect.

One oddity though. The FA is blocking use of the FC lav for an inordinate amount of time--easily a cumulative 30-45 min so far, probably more. Dunno if there's a sick pilot or what... but between that and some usual turbulence, there's been less time to use the lav than on any other flight I can recall. This seems unfortunate when congestion left us in line to take off for an hour or so,

If there is an illness or something, I'm sympathetic....otherwise it seems something AS would try to be more mindful of.
I've had this happen on flights with both jumpseats occupied. But it doesn't seem to be the case with this flight: https://m.alaskaair.com/prioritylist...?rp=fs&arr=PHL
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

The massively overaggressive lumbar support on the seat is a far better issue to me. I can ask for more drinks. There's not much I can do when I'm getting back pain from hour 2 onwards.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
How on earth did this thread get so long? Alaska is not leading the pack and offering lie flat suites. Alaska is not offering turn down service on their transcons. Alaska is not offering showers or some kind of private dining in their lounges for revenue F pax.

They have larger, more comfortable seats in first class with more legroom. If your flight is long enough you can even get a menu with a nice meal (although I think the menu is now universal?). The food can range from mediocre to excellent. The service is always excellent from the flight crews, at least in my experience, and FA’s are always the best in the business up front. I don’t consider AS’s first class to be cutting edge by any means, and when I get upgraded out of my exit seat, I consider it a bonus. It’s not cutting edge or winning any Michelin awards for their inflight dining.

But at no point do I think to myself “wow I just got upgraded, now I can enjoy a cabin that is just below what CX and EK offer.” AS first class is what it is. A nice domestic first class offering, where service is really the dominating factor. If row 6 got a beverage in a plastic cup just before the FA’s got to row 3 with a glass of red wine and a napkin, then the whole experience didn’t just get ruined. Let’s all get a grip here and not pretend AS F is something that it’s not.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
How on earth did this thread get so long? Alaska is not leading the pack and offering lie flat suites. Alaska is not offering turn down service on their transcons. Alaska is not offering showers or some kind of private dining in their lounges for revenue F pax.

They have larger, more comfortable seats in first class with more legroom. If your flight is long enough you can even get a menu with a nice meal (although I think the menu is now universal?). The food can range from mediocre to excellent. The service is always excellent from the flight crews, at least in my experience, and FA’s are always the best in the business up front. I don’t consider AS’s first class to be cutting edge by any means, and when I get upgraded out of my exit seat, I consider it a bonus. It’s not cutting edge or winning any Michelin awards for their inflight dining.

But at no point do I think to myself “wow I just got upgraded, now I can enjoy a cabin that is just below what CX and EK offer.” AS first class is what it is. A nice domestic first class offering, where service is really the dominating factor. If row 6 got a beverage in a plastic cup just before the FA’s got to row 3 with a glass of red wine and a napkin, then the whole experience didn’t just get ruined. Let’s all get a grip here and not pretend AS F is something that it’s not.
You seem to be setting your expectations based on a free upgrade. Problem is they sell the seats too. And even if it's a free upgrade, you can be Elite on that other carrier and get them too.

They don't compete with CX or EK on a single route. Nobody is expecting them to be that. I don't think anyone said such a thing (but nice attempt at deflection). They compete with DL, AA, and UA. Wanting them to be competitive is not an unreasonable expectation. They are competitive in some aspects, not in others.

I know it's common on this board to write off and excuse any AS flaw and tell the poster to go away and fly another airline. If someone would have complained about blankets 6 months ago, that's what the apologists would have said -- fly someone else if they can better meet your expectations, if a blanket would make or break your experience, go away. Today there are blankets (at least on transcon/Hawaii), and nice ones at that -- better than UA/AA/DL (excluding premium service). AS does change, sometimes for the better. And drawing attention to their weak points helps them do that.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:48 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

I don't think anyone here expects a CX or EK F experience on AS. That being said, many have seen a strong decline in the very basic service they do offer.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Did you ask for another drink or just sit there and fume?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I’ve had 4 F flights on AS in the past 20 days (2 transcons, two shorthauls). I have been unable to discern any new low. My drinks got filled. The service and food was fine. But that’s probably boring and not worthy of hyperbole, or much other than some self-reported data points. Oh well.

I had recent flights in DL F as well. Their seats seemed really tight. Much like AS’s a couple years ago. Those are otherwise fine flights too.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:54 pm

I know it's common on this board to write off and excuse any AS flaw and tell the poster to go away and fly another airline. If someone would have complained about blankets 6 months ago, that's what the apologists would have said -- fly someone else if they can better meet your expectations, if a blanket would make or break your experience, go away. Today there are blankets (at least on transcon/Hawaii), and nice ones at that -- better than UA/AA/DL (excluding premium service). AS does change, sometimes for the better. And drawing attention to their weak points helps them do that.
Part of the problem is the expectations, including a belief that drawing attention to an airline's weak points can help them change. This is a business relationship: if you don't like the product or service being offered you should bring it to the company's attention, but your only recourse is to take your business elsewhere.

Alaska has been pretty clear about the market space it is trying to occupy and the customers it wants. Alaska generally has yields (and costs) an entire tier below AA, DL, and UA. It's core customer base is not the corporate and business travelers being chased by AA, DL, and UA. Alaska customers should expect some differences in the service levels between AA, DL, and UA.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

They compete with DL, AA, and UA. Wanting them to be competitive is not an unreasonable expectation. They are competitive in some aspects, not in others.

If they’re competing with AA, UA, and DL on most routes then they should have absolutely no problem!

I never told the OP to go fly another carrier. My point was just that their product is what it is, and we should accept that and not try to make it something it isn’t. That’s all. Don’t set your bar for AS first on the same scale as some amazing transcon private suite service, that’s all I am saying. The OP is free to choose who they want to fly, but they should be aware of what they’re getting, and we shouldn’t try to act like AS first class is some exclusive club that is so hard to get into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.