FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS F service dropping to new lows (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1912377-f-service-dropping-new-lows.html)

ryandc99 Jun 2, 2018 9:42 pm

AS F service dropping to new lows

I had the opportunity to fly AS in both F and premium class this past week, and to be honest, I would take the coach service over the F service anytime.

The F service had a single drink service on a 5 hour flight, followed by a second service from the drink cart, before they pushed the cart back to service the coach cabin. This second service was also served from plastic cups, no glass drinkware. Other than that, while the FAs continually walked thru the cabin, they did an excellent job at ignoring passengers.

The coach service had 3 drink services, and a water service right after takeoff. I would take AS coach or premium over F.

I'm not sure how AS plans to compete for paid F passengers with such a low bar of service.

3Cforme Jun 2, 2018 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 29822352)
The F service had a single drink service on a 5 hour flight, followed by a second service from the drink cart, before they pushed the cart back to service the coach cabin. This second service was also served from plastic cups, no glass drinkware.

What was the route and departure time?

ryandc99 Jun 2, 2018 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 29822395)
What was the route and departure time?

ATL-SEA, departure at 6:35 am. The crew was the same crew that came off the inbound red eye I think they said there was also a medical emergency on the inbound, so I understand the crew was tired and stressed, but that is not an excuse for poor service in the forward cabin.

jk88usa Jun 2, 2018 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 29822406)
ATL-SEA, departure at 6:35 am. The crew was the same crew that came off the inbound red eye I think they said there was also a medical emergency on the inbound, so I understand the crew was tired and stressed, but that is not an excuse for poor service in the forward cabin.

eesh...I didn’t think airlines scheduled crews to work after a red eye...let alone a 5 hour flight back the way they came

jrl767 Jun 2, 2018 10:39 pm

... I'm not sure how AS plans to compete for paid F passengers with such a low bar of service.

no, it’s not an excuse, but I think you need to cut them a bit — no, make that a LOT — of slack before generalizing that this one-off represents a “low bar” for the entire airline

Crzn33k Jun 2, 2018 11:11 pm

I had the opportunity to fly AS in both F and premium class this past week, and to be honest, I would take the coach service over the F service anytime.

The F service had a single drink service on a 5 hour flight, followed by a second service from the drink cart, before they pushed the cart back to service the coach cabin. This second service was also served from plastic cups, no glass drinkware. Other than that, while the FAs continually walked thru the cabin, they did an excellent job at ignoring passengers.

The coach service had 3 drink services, and a water service right after takeoff. I would take AS coach or premium over F.

I'm not sure how AS plans to compete for paid F passengers with such a low bar of service.

Our crews do not do Atl turns both flights they layover in Atl

ryandc99 Jun 2, 2018 11:16 pm

I measured that against two flights in AS coach that were great. Their F cabin just doesn't cut it service wise. But fair point, I have a few more AS F flights coming up soon, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

I guess I also judge it versus my previous experience flying AS weekly. Now a days, I'm on Delta weekly.

AS Flyer Jun 2, 2018 11:20 pm

This is not Alaska's standard at all - please send in comment to Alaska Listens or write an email to Customer Care. The crew came from a layover hotel so they should have gotten rest.

Flying for Fun Jun 2, 2018 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 29822492)
I measured that against two flights in AS coach that were great. Their F cabin just doesn't cut it service wise. But fair point, I have a few more AS F flights coming up soon, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

I guess I also judge it versus my previous experience flying AS weekly. Now a days, I'm on Delta weekly.

My SEA-BOS on June 1st was impeccable. Anticipate the same on my BOS-SEA in 5 1/2 hours. There is an option to tell AS how your flight was and you can comment free hand. I think that would be more productive. I have found AS customer service to be from very good to exceptional, just like my AS F flights.

James

EDIT: As anticipated my BOS-SRA F flight was fantastic. As soon as the 10,000 FT "ding" was heard everyone was up and in service. Extremely attentive FA. Addressed the cabin before take-off explainging the breakfast options and thanked those who had pre-ordered. We had drink service 4 times before breakfast was completed.

I have never heard of a beverage cart going through the F Cabin.

s0ssos Jun 2, 2018 11:52 pm

Yea, AS has horrible IRROPS, an outmoded IT system, but on board their flight attendants are usually pretty good.

NWplatinum Jun 3, 2018 2:29 am

Obviously this flight was an outlier for extenuating circumstances. But I’m just curious here, what exactly constitutes a bad AS F flight?

It’s not as though AS is going to be coming out with cutting edge flat bed enclosed suites anytime soon. So I never expect that I’m going to be getting turn down service in F on AS, even on red-eye transcons. Their F is fairly basic, except they do (sometimes) have the menus, and the meals up front are fairly decent. The service is always excellent, and the staff have always been the nicest of flight crews I’ve ever had when I fly any carrier in F, or Y for that matter!

So I don’t really understand what do people expect out of AS first class to make it a “bad flight” or dropping to “new lows”?

keitherson Jun 3, 2018 2:38 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 29822758)
Obviously this flight was an outlier for extenuating circumstances. But I’m just curious here, what exactly constitutes a bad AS F flight?

It’s not as though AS is going to be coming out with cutting edge flat bed enclosed suites anytime soon. So I never expect that I’m going to be getting turn down service in F on AS, even on red-eye transcons. Their F is fairly basic, except they do (sometimes) have the menus, and the meals up front are fairly decent. The service is always excellent, and the staff have always been the nicest of flight crews I’ve ever had when I fly any carrier in F, or Y for that matter!

So I don’t really understand what do people expect out of AS first class to make it a “bad flight” or dropping to “new lows”?

The OP clearly explained it.

A bad AS F flight is when AS Y is better.

NWplatinum Jun 3, 2018 3:00 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 29822775)

and everyone who has responded clearly explained his experience is absolutely the exception, not the norm at all. so yes this was a bad F experience.

But my point is, their F in general is not exactly competitive to begin with, so just how high of a bar are people setting for AS’s first class? Because believe me, they’ve never been known for their 180 degree sleeper suites in first class or their Flagship first/Polaris lounges.

ryandc99 Jun 3, 2018 7:00 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 29822775)

I think this sums it up best. I have reasonable expectations for AS F. It’s certianly reasonable to expect the F level of service to be superior to Y, which in my experience has not quite been the case. If AS wants to compete for paid F business, they have a long way to go.

Eastbay1K Jun 3, 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 29822492)

If it makes you feel any better, DL is cutting back on service. But as far as the FA conduct, this just sounds like a bad crew. This is the rare time I use the FA call bell. And on those rare occurrences, typically much of the rest of the F cabin asks the FA for a beverage.