Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS F service dropping to new lows

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why stop there? Does it really matter if you have to go up and pour your own drink? Or maybe you have to buy it in the airport so you can have something to drink on-board?

It is too much to ask to push the call button, because this is the US and some overbearing flight attendants feel it is to be used for emergencies only.
I have gone to the galley to ask for a drink and told to go back to my seat. “Having lunch and will be with you in a few minutes.” I had my glass with me and said I could just pour wine myself. NO, No, this is a big NO NO. told in no uncertain terms do not help yourself. Sent back to my seat to feel bad about bothering FA.
(Not really) /but, I felt bad they have no time to eat their lunch.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I will be happy to report back about future AS ATL-SEA if I chose to not fly Delta. I will also report back if I hear anything from Alaska Listens on this.

My return trip SEA-ATL in F was actually a bit better, but still not something I would consider paying for. So perhaps you could break my issue out in to two parts:
1. A clear service failure on ATL-SEA in F, which I took as an indication of their declining services.
2. A non competitive F product as compared to Delta.
Please write to AS customer service about your F service. Keep it concise, but state your complaints. AS is trying to be a bigger player now. They need to understand their service inadequacies.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why stop there? Does it really matter if you have to go up and pour your own drink? Or maybe you have to buy it in the airport so you can have something to drink on-board?

It is too much to ask to push the call button, because this is the US and some overbearing flight attendants feel it is to be used for emergencies only.
If anyone ever tells you that the button is for emergencies only I would just ask, "would your supervisors or customer care department say the same thing?"
UAPremierExec and DrAlex like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll

I have gone to the galley to ask for a drink and told to go back to my seat. “Having lunch and will be with you in a few minutes.” I had my glass with me and said I could just pour wine myself. NO, No, this is a big NO NO. told in no uncertain terms do not help yourself. Sent back to my seat to feel bad about bothering FA.
(Not really) /but, I felt bad they have no time to eat their lunch.
Did they bring a refill to your seat right off? For me, if someone asks for something while I'm eating I just get it for them - but if they were midway through a bite or something and just needed a moment to finish that bite before helping you, that's understandable. If they wanted 15 minutes to finish an entire lunch then they need to find a new job - that's not how the FA job goes. FA's eat when they get a minute, and it's usually not the case that there's never a minute. If it is the case and they need to have a bite to eat or a quick break then they can get one of their colleagues to come and stand in for them for a minute. Easy enough. If they were just being lazy and wanted to take a break to finish their lunch without interruption, I'd send a note to customer care. That said, I've also intentionally not refilled someones glass when they've potentially had more than I'm comfortable serving them. It's better to have that conversation so they know you're not intentionally ignoring them.
UAPremierExec and ryandc99 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:31 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
If anyone ever tells you that the button is for emergencies only I would just ask, "would your supervisors or customer care department say the same thing?"
I guess in my experience on US carriers, the button use is frowned upon. I've even seen WN FAs tell you during the annoucement its for emergency use only!

And I agree with your comments regarding people being overserved. I was just hoping for a refill of my water!
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I guess in my experience on US carriers, the button use is frowned upon. I've even seen WN FAs tell you during the annoucement its for emergency use only!

And I agree with your comments regarding people being overserved. I was just hoping for a refill of my water!
demand an emergency if u dont get ur water. U’ll die n they will have to deal with... one way or another.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:30 pm

well that settles it - you are entirely too demanding. Seriously, hit the button if you need something and aren't being attended to - that's what it's there for... contrary to some lazy FA's opinion. Personally, if the call light goes off then I feel like I haven't been doing my job and I feel bad, but I certainly don't think it's for emergencies only and would never scold someone for using it for simply needing something. I know some do though - which is a complete shame. Please let Alaska know about this experience. We have some people that have developed some bad habits and could use some coaching.
ryandc99, wrp96, pcoll and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Often1
But, the fact that one has to reach up and push or pull a button is not that much to ask. Even in F.
Yes it is. That is part of the experience IMHO. I do not expect to see the FA every 5-10 minutes after the meal service but many times, especially on transcons, they take their seat and ignore the cabin. I do not like to push the call button, and it should not be needed in F. Once they take care of my request they usually do a sweep through the rest of the cabin
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
Originally Posted by BOB W
Yes it is. That is part of the experience IMHO. I do not expect to see the FA every 5-10 minutes after the meal service but many times, especially on transcons, they take their seat and ignore the cabin. I do not like to push the call button, and it should not be needed in F. Once they take care of my request they usually do a sweep through the rest of the cabin
just press the button! Its way to intrusive to have the crew walking up and down!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I think the bar I am setting/asking for is that more than 1 refill of the initial service is offered in the first class cabin... and to not push the Y drink cart into F for the first class service.
I don't think I've ever seen anything other than the digiplayer cart get pushed through the F cabin and I can tell you, I'm not an AS apologist.
ctporter, ryandc99 and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:10 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lalala
I don't think I've ever seen anything other than the digiplayer cart get pushed through the F cabin and I can tell you, I'm not an AS apologist.
First time I have seen it as well.. Part of me wonders if the Y flight attendants were feeling bad for us F folks getting ignored and thought they would fill us up
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
OP should probably avoid buying F and should opt-out of the upgrade in the future, so the rest of us can suffer through this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This isn't true. There are no such work rules for FA's. Absent contractual work rules, the FAA guidelines only stipulate that an airline can't schedule one for more than a 14 hour duty day unless they augment the crew by adding additional FA's. Irregular ops don't count and, if the airline originally scheduled a trip with 14 hours or less total duty time, you can be required to stay on duty indefinitely if weather or mechanical (or any other) situation requires. Alaska does schedule midcon, red eye turns - though none as far as SEA-ATL, because that exceeds the contractual maximum allowable hours in one shift. SEA-IAH, SEA-DFW, SEA-AUS - even SEA-DTW have been a thing in the past and sometimes make their way back around as a red eye turn. It's not unusual.
Straying a bit, but I'll point out that CO FAs used to fly a EWR-SEA-EWR turn with the 6pm departure westbound and the return eastbound redeye! (Hopefully the regs don't still allow that)

Also, my understanding is that there are several midcon AS routes where the FAs work the turn but the pilots overnight (BNA, IND, etc.)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i flew ORD-SEA in F last night and FA serving us was not proactive at all. He went through the motions and was nice during the minimal interactions I had with him. He did not ask me nor my seatmate for refills through out the flight. It was until 40min before landing that another FA saw my coke can and the empty glasses in the center console and asked me if I wanted something else. Not really complaining here since I could have easily hit the call button to ask for another drink. But this was a huge departure from the typical service I get on AS F. I wouln't go as far to say that AS F service is going down hill...yet. Every tree has a few bad apples
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
I was on the ZIH-LAX flight in F on the 29th, and the first class service was definitely not what I've experienced in the past on AS. The FA was either having a bad day or just unpleasant; in case it was the former I did not complain but it was a poor flight from that standpoint. She made one drink service prior to the meal (no worries there); prior to my finishing the meal she tried to take the tray. I asked her please to wait until I was finished - another minute or two - and she left the tray there for over a half-hour. She also decided not to ask if I wanted another drink after that, apparently because she couldn't get the tray exactly when she wanted to. TBH, I didn't care all that much nor did I absolutely crave another drink, so again didn't complain - just noted that the service in this case was not what I have come to expect. She was also a bit snarky to me and to a couple of others when we deboarded. I probably wouldn't have noticed any one of those things by themselves, but added all up it was noticeable.

The LAX-SEA segment on the same day was on pmVX metal and the FAs were both outstanding - both the FA in F and the one in the back both were smiling, pleasant, and seemed to make the experience as good as possible. I've had the experience others have noted on VX where the crew wasn't all too thrilled with the merger, but that's kind of understandable to a point. This crew was great and will be an asset to AS moving forward. (My sister was a FA on AS many, many years ago and so my feelings about and actions towards the crew are always that of respect - the average person not on FT or a very frequent flyer has no idea what that job is like.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.