Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS F service dropping to new lows

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Does it really matter whether one is offered a drink or one hits the call button or walks up to the galley?

If a FA refused service when asked (absent safety reasons) that would be terrible. But, the fact that one has to reach up and push or pull a button is not that much to ask. Even in F.

That said, it was lousy service and deserves a short and to the point complaint identifying the route, date, and flight number.
bbison, Flying for Fun and DrAlex like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:02 am

I'll be glad to trade you my coach seat for your first class seat any time.......
Eastbay1K and bmvaughn like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This is definitely not the norm. While I have had a few bad F experiences (mostly indifferent FA's) the number of times I have had excellent service far, far outweigh the bad. I would also be inclined to cut the staff a break if they were turning right around after a long redeye flight. Doesn't make you wrong to want the service you paid for though.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:13 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

and everyone who has responded clearly explained his experience is absolutely the exception, not the norm at all. so yes this was a bad F experience.

But my point is, their F in general is not exactly competitive to begin with, so just how high of a bar are people setting for AS’s first class? Because believe me, they’ve never been known for their 180 degree sleeper suites in first class or their Flagship first/Polaris lounges.
I think the bar I am setting/asking for is that more than 1 refill of the initial service is offered in the first class cabin... and to not push the Y drink cart into F for the first class service.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:15 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I think the bar I am setting/asking for is that more than 1 refill of the initial service is offered in the first class cabin... and to not push the Y drink cart into F for the first class service.
In the many F flights on AS I've taken I can't recall a single time they served F off the drink cart and I've always had my drink refilled multiple times. Seems you got a service fluke and you should definitely send a complaint in to Alaska Listens. I sent one in a few days ago for a service issue and they got back to me within a couple days and offered a very fair compensation for the issue.

Normally when I'm paying for F, its for personal space, drinks and food are just an afterthought, but each of us value things differently.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I measured that against two flights in AS coach that were great. Their F cabin just doesn't cut it service wise. But fair point, I have a few more AS F flights coming up soon, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

I guess I also judge it versus my previous experience flying AS weekly. Now a days, I'm on Delta weekly.
Please be sure to let us know what your upcoming AS F flights are like. Did you make contact with Alaska about your concerns? If not, why? If so, was there a resolution? You used to fly AS weekly but changed to Delta. Was your prior weekly AS flights in F too for comparative accuracy?

James
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Please be sure to let us know what your upcoming AS F flights are like. Did you make contact with Alaska about your concerns? If not, why? If so, was there a resolution? You used to fly AS weekly but changed to Delta. Was your prior weekly AS flights in F too for comparative accuracy?

James

I will be happy to report back about future AS ATL-SEA if I chose to not fly Delta. I will also report back if I hear anything from Alaska Listens on this.

My return trip SEA-ATL in F was actually a bit better, but still not something I would consider paying for. So perhaps you could break my issue out in to two parts:
1. A clear service failure on ATL-SEA in F, which I took as an indication of their declining services.
2. A non competitive F product as compared to Delta.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:24 pm

Perhaps you consider flying Delta being based in ATL, I think you'll find the service more attentive especially in the premium cabin.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I will be happy to report back about future AS ATL-SEA if I chose to not fly Delta. I will also report back if I hear anything from Alaska Listens on this.

My return trip SEA-ATL in F was actually a bit better, but still not something I would consider paying for. So perhaps you could break my issue out in to two parts:
1. A clear service failure on ATL-SEA in F, which I took as an indication of their declining services.
2. A non competitive F product as compared to Delta.
Based on my experience in AS F, I’d be more inclined to think this a one-off service failure, possibly compounded by incomplete catering (the plastic cups). Was the breakfast catered correctly? Totally agree with item 2.

Do write in or rate the inflight service one star - that rating is apparently what triggers Alaska to actually Listen to the written feedback.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbluecpa

Based on my experience in AS F, I’d be more inclined to think this a one-off service failure, possibly compounded by incomplete catering (the plastic cups). Was the breakfast catered correctly? Totally agree with item 2.

Do write in or rate the inflight service one star - that rating is apparently what triggers Alaska to actually Listen to the written feedback.
Meals were catered properly. I pre ordered the cheese plate. The FA's clearly don't understand how this worked, they told me they thought that catering had mis catered a cheese plate into F. I had to tell them no, it was my pre order.

What was odd was that we had the glassware for the first drink service, but we did not for the refill. It seemed like the F flight attendants wanted noting to do with service that day. When the cart/plastic cups came into F, it was the Y flight attendants serving us (maybe because the F folks wanted nothing to do with us?)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:26 pm

Meals were catered properly. I pre ordered the cheese plate. The FA's clearly don't understand how this worked, they told me they thought that catering had mis catered a cheese plate into F. I had to tell them no, it was my pre order.

What was odd was that we had the glassware for the first drink service, but we did not for the refill. It seemed like the F flight attendants wanted noting to do with service that day. When the cart/plastic cups came into F, it was the Y flight attendants serving us (maybe because the F folks wanted nothing to do with us?)
Rightfully so, this seems to have really bothered you - and, because you recognize that this is bad service, you probably also understand that it's not the service standard Alaska sets. I do hope, given all that, that you'll take a minute to let Alaska know - if you haven't already. This is poor form in any case and deserves to be addressed by someone that can do something about it.
ptownca and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
ATL-SEA, departure at 6:35 am. The crew was the same crew that came off the inbound red eye I think they said there was also a medical emergency on the inbound, so I understand the crew was tired and stressed, but that is not an excuse for poor service in the forward cabin.
Cmon. You know better than to suggest a Redeye Midcon Turn is even a thing. Exceeds FAA work rules.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 4, 2018 at 9:03 am Reason: Remove reference to moderator.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Does it really matter whether one is offered a drink or one hits the call button or walks up to the galley?

If a FA refused service when asked (absent safety reasons) that would be terrible. But, the fact that one has to reach up and push or pull a button is not that much to ask. Even in F.

That said, it was lousy service and deserves a short and to the point complaint identifying the route, date, and flight number.
Why stop there? Does it really matter if you have to go up and pour your own drink? Or maybe you have to buy it in the airport so you can have something to drink on-board?

It is too much to ask to push the call button, because this is the US and some overbearing flight attendants feel it is to be used for emergencies only.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

Cmon. You’re a MOD - You know better than to suggest a Redeye Midcon Turn is even a thing. Exceeds FAA work rules.
This isn't true. There are no such work rules for FA's. Absent contractual work rules, the FAA guidelines only stipulate that an airline can't schedule one for more than a 14 hour duty day unless they augment the crew by adding additional FA's. Irregular ops don't count and, if the airline originally scheduled a trip with 14 hours or less total duty time, you can be required to stay on duty indefinitely if weather or mechanical (or any other) situation requires. Alaska does schedule midcon, red eye turns - though none as far as SEA-ATL, because that exceeds the contractual maximum allowable hours in one shift. SEA-IAH, SEA-DFW, SEA-AUS - even SEA-DTW have been a thing in the past and sometimes make their way back around as a red eye turn. It's not unusual.
flyupfrnt and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This isn't true. There are no such work rules for FA's. Absent contractual work rules, the FAA guidelines only stipulate that an airline can't schedule one for more than a 14 hour duty day unless they augment the crew by adding additional FA's. Irregular ops don't count and, if the airline originally scheduled a trip with 14 hours or less total duty time, you can be required to stay on duty indefinitely if weather or mechanical (or any other) situation requires. Alaska does schedule midcon, red eye turns - though none as far as SEA-ATL, because that exceeds the contractual maximum allowable hours in one shift. SEA-IAH, SEA-DFW, SEA-AUS - even SEA-DTW have been a thing in the past and sometimes make their way back around as a red eye turn. It's not unusual.
In that case. I stand corrected. Apologies to OP and Thanks to AS Flyer for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.